worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
CcLp2tsVAAARYyo.jpg

Reactions: IamJebus

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Sharks preview on SXM this afternoon. Rusanowsky guest speaker.

They're concerns seem to be WRT scoring (and losing Marleau's 27 goals), PP, recent history of bad drafts (but excluding undrafted free agent signees), and aging team.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Based on listening to the NHL Network Radio preview, I'm excited to see the young guys getting a chance. It's too early to make a prediction, but if they can get scoring from the young guys to make up for Marleau's production (And Marleau was starting to get inconsistent his last few years), than that would be great. I see this year more as a transition year anyway. We've said they have to get younger and it seems like that's exactly what's going to happen this season.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
For anyone who has a subscription to the Athletic (which, if you don't but are considering it, it's been pretty damn worth it so far, at only about 40 bucks for the year with one of their ample discounts), this article has taken the best looks I've seen thus far about how/if Marleau's production will be replaced, specifically looking at Marleau's severe decline on the man-advantage, and how Hertl should hopefully be able to slot into that spot and succeed.

Pretty much every general preview outside of stuff like that has been hot garbage. Watched something from the NHL network this morning that hit on all the boilerplate messaging perfectly - they're old, but the also ****ed up letting a 38 year-old walk. They have no good young players except for all these good young players, who curiously don't get talked about by the media which is us but we're not going to talk about them.

Riveting stuff.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
For anyone who has a subscription to the Athletic (which, if you don't but are considering it, it's been pretty damn worth it so far, at only about 40 bucks for the year with one of their ample discounts), this article has taken the best looks I've seen thus far about how/if Marleau's production will be replaced, specifically looking at Marleau's severe decline on the man-advantage, and how Hertl should hopefully be able to slot into that spot and succeed.

Pretty much every general preview outside of stuff like that has been hot garbage. Watched something from the NHL network this morning that hit on all the boilerplate messaging perfectly - they're old, but the also ****ed up letting a 38 year-old walk. They have no good young players except for all these good young players, who curiously don't get talked about by the media which is us but we're not going to talk about them.

Riveting stuff.

I don't understand this argument at all. The Sharks were old and slow last year. They were old and slow in the Stanley Cup Final in 2016. They have to get younger and the Barracuda sounds like a team of good developmental hockey players (Honestly I don't follow the minors at all so I take this almost at top face value). The league was starting to pass them by and the slower they are, the worst off they are going to be, especially with the likes of McDavid in Edmonton and Calgary making some solid moves this offseason, and the Ducks being who they are. Getting rid of Marleau sucks because he was a loyal shark, but like Dan R. said on the preview, getting rid of Marleau might be like when the team got rid of Nolan. It hurts in the short term but it might pay dividends down the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad