Speculation: Sharks 2015 Rumors/Trade Proposals/Lineup Talk Thread ‎Part V: Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Any chance Wilson sticks around and simply buys out Thornton this summer? By my math, his buyout isn't bad (4 years at 2.25 million per)

Or do you think GM/Coach go before Thornton does?

Not a chance. Zero. The whole idea around trading him is getting a good return. Buying him out is the complete opposite. You buy out useless players, like Clarkson or Havlat. Not Joe Thornton.

JT isn't the problem with this team, I suspect. It's a number of things but any time culture is an issue (in my experiences) I believe it starts at the top. Every company I have ever worked for has been guilty of setting a poor example at the top which resulted in low moral. Now, players(or employees) have to accept responsibility as well. Just because your boss sucks doesn't mean you can't rally together and get things done. But you need support to maintain that. It's up to DW to fix that. Maybe he is the problem, maybe he's not. The rumors of him moving to a president position is a bit telling, but even then if he is the bad apple it may not change things. At least not initially.

That all said, I think this off season we could see a core player, young or old, moved. I have a feeling it's going to be Burns or Couture, unless Pavs gets a huge offer and waives. We can't restock with elite talent without moving some out. I certainly don't want any of those guys to go, but I won't be shocked at all.

Edit: I should say I think couture moving is the least likely. Probably less than Pavs.

Last edited:

thasanjoseshawksdood*

The San Jose Co-Workers :handclap:

Also, I wouldn't mind bruins ex GM. We seem to be lost at sea.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Buying out Thornton would be the dumbest thing this org has done in 2 years. Yes, the dumbest.

just 2? what did they before 2 years ago that would be stupider than buying him out? I can't think of anything. And the Burrish contract isn't even close.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Read harder. As I said elite free agents are few and far between and there's 30 teams in the NHL. The odds are always against you.

It doesn't have to be elite (well it didn't, it looks like it needs to be now). Wilson has never shown the ability to get elite, or even the 2nd grouping of free agents. He is good at getting the players that no other team wants on there team.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Fans thought wilson could not get any free agents to come to san jose before, well good luck even getting the bottom of the barrel players to come here after that.

Yeah i know, signing hossa never helped the hawks, signing chara never helped the bruins, signing gaborik never helped the kings, signing niedermyer never helped the ducks. Those pesky free agents just never help good teams get over the hump.

It is better to throw money at players like scott, burish, brown in the free agency period. Those players will help come playoff time while sit wasting away in the press box being good little cheerleaders.

Oh please, the free agent thing is the dumbest reason to not like that idea, Buying out Joe Thornton is dumb because he is an elite player in the NHL.

We are never ever ever ever ever going to sign a Chara, a Hossa, an Niedermayer. Please, don't act like that will ever happen for any reason.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Oh please, the free agent thing is the dumbest reason to not like that idea, Buying out Joe Thornton is dumb because he is an elite player in the NHL.

We are never ever ever ever ever going to sign a Chara, a Hossa, an Niedermayer. Please, don't act like that will ever happen for any reason.

But yet florida/tampa can sign top free agents. The entire oh it is san jose we can't attract top free agents needs to stop also. It is the cheap owners/GM that can't and it is the reason this team unfortunately will never get over the hump.

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
But yet florida/tampa can sign top free agents. The entire oh it is san jose we can't attract top free agents needs to stop also. It is the cheap owners/GM that can't and it is the reason this team unfortunately will never get over the hump.

And who exactly did they sign?

Shawn Thornton, Willie Mitchell, Filppula, Stralman?

Those aren't exactly 'elite' or 'top' free agents.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ

I don't know if I'd call it THE reason, but I agree that Doug's frugal nature has prevented our growth in certain ways

It has at least prevented us from ending up with a bunch of terrible contracts, Doug usually has to trade for those

HipCzech

Just win the game
Mar 25, 2004
Overpriced Bay
I'm trying to understand how JT's latest statements towards Todd could be anything other than a jab?

With all the statements about players not listening to coaching gameplan in the past year, which player could it be leading that charge? Hmm. Somebody stubborn and who marches too his own drum. Somebody perhaps who had a letter. Hmm, why was it taken away from him again? Oh yah, because he's got a mouth on him. Hmm.

Seriously, Thornton can GTFO this org.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
And who exactly did they sign?

Shawn Thornton, Willie Mitchell, Filppula, Stralman?

Those aren't exactly 'elite' or 'top' free agents.

To be fair, Stralman is a top-4 defenseman and Filppula is a top-6 forward, and should not be compared to likes of Shawn Thornton. They are not elite, but are impact players. Who was the last impact player Wilson signed? Blake, Niemi after offersheeting Hammer. He has either struck out with players like Hanzus or signed marginal NHLers. But at least Wilson has not burdened the team with contracts like Philly's GMs have, so I will admit Wilson's free agency behavior has been overall a mixed bag (with last offseason being a failure IMO).

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
I'm trying to understand how JT's latest statements towards Todd could be anything other than a jab?

With all the statements about players not listening to coaching gameplan in the past year, which player could it be leading that charge? Hmm. Somebody stubborn and who marches too his own drum. Somebody perhaps who had a letter. Hmm, why was it taken away from him again? Oh yah, because he's got a mouth on him. Hmm.

Seriously, Thornton can GTFO this org.

His letter was taken away because DW needed a scapegoat to keep his job and he didn't want to throw the HC that he hired under the bus so he thought Thornton would be an easy target. Thornton didn't open his mouth in public until AFTER all of this "tomorrow team" "lashing out" BS came out.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Tampa can sign decent free agents because they're good. What top free agents has Florida signed?

The Charas, Hossas, and Niedermayers are never ever going to sign with the Sharks as UFAs, and those are the difference makers.

HipCzech

Just win the game
Mar 25, 2004
Overpriced Bay
His letter was taken away because DW needed a scapegoat to keep his job and he didn't want to throw the HC that he hired under the bus so he thought Thornton would be an easy target. Thornton didn't open his mouth in public until AFTER all of this "tomorrow team" "lashing out" BS came out.

All I can do is laugh at posts like these, where the players are always right.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Tampa can sign decent free agents because they're good. What top free agents has Florida signed?

The Charas, Hossas, and Niedermayers are never ever going to sign with the Sharks as UFAs, and those are the difference makers.

And what were the sharks? Bottom feeders?

Other teams can sign good players because they are good. But the sharks have been just as good if not better for the past few years but they can't. Hmmm that logic just seems weird.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Well Florida's tax situation is attractive to athletes. California...not so much. Sharks were close with Chara and Nieds. Boston made Chara captain and Nieds wanted to play with his brother. Oh well move on. All 3 california teams struggle with signing top tier free agents. It all comes down to money.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I believe two of the reasons were long contracts and higher salaries than JT. I don't believe the salary restriction still applies and now that Hasso is in control the long term contract restriction may not be there as well.

I doubt we find out this year, but maybe the next.

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
Well Florida's tax situation is attractive to athletes. California...not so much. Sharks were close with Chara and Nieds. Boston made Chara captain and Nieds wanted to play with his brother. Oh well move on. All 3 california teams struggle with signing top tier free agents. It all comes down to money.

Cost of living in San Jose is way higher than Florida.
Larry Robinson mentioned that was a big reason he is going to Florida.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Cost of living in San Jose is way higher than Florida.
Larry Robinson mentioned that was a big reason he is going to Florida.

Exactly. In football, Ndamukong Suh signed a huge deal with a perennial 8-8 squad when he could have gone anywhere. He said he wanted to make the most money. Hello Miami.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad