Speculation: Sharks 2015 Rumors/Trade Proposals/Lineup Talk Thread ‎Part V: Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
To Boston:

GM Doug Wilson

To San Jose:

GM Peter Chiarelli

or

To Boston:

C Todd Mclellan

To San Jose:

C Claude Julien

:sarcasm:

All four are great at their jobs and top five in the NHL. Just different looks and new insights into players can go a long way!

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
From Pollak's informative blog:

*Logan Couture: “For me, I definitely wouldn’t be the player I am without Todd and this whole coaching staff. Coming to the rink was enjoyable every single day for me. I learned a lot every day, and improved as a player. I have a ton of respect for the whole coaching staff.”

I like Couture. Seems like he wants to stay.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
It's impossible for us to know what they actually said to JT but from what DW and TM have said to the media, it doesn't sound like they ever explicitly said to Thornton "We're stripping you of the C".

I think the culture thing probably starts with the coaches and players btw.

Maybe McLellan thought he told Thornton, but his dumb, vague double-speak bit him in the butt.

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
At least they didn't give robot responses.

"What went wrong this season for you guys?"

"Well you know, uhhh, we just didn't put enough shots on goal tonight. Need to execute and get our forecheck going."

Sarge15

Apr 2, 2015
Bay Area
At least they didn't give robot responses.

"What went wrong this season for you guys?"

"Well you know, uhhh, we just didn't put enough shots on goal tonight. Need to execute and get our forecheck going."

Maybe the reason they can't get passion going and fight tooth and nail to the Stanley Cup and be bonded teammates rather than coworkers is because THEY ARE ROBOTS :sarcasm:

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
From Pollak's informative blog:

*Logan Couture: “For me, I definitely wouldn’t be the player I am without Todd and this whole coaching staff. Coming to the rink was enjoyable every single day for me. I learned a lot every day, and improved as a player. I have a ton of respect for the whole coaching staff.â€

I like Couture. Seems like he wants to stay.

He should respect Todd. He brought him along perfectly. Got some AHL time, then started off lower in the lineup and worked his way up in the NHL. Adding more responsibility every year.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
To Boston:

GM Doug Wilson

To San Jose:

GM Peter Chiarelli

or

To Boston:

C Todd Mclellan

To San Jose:

C Claude Julien

:sarcasm:

All four are great at their jobs and top five in the NHL. Just different looks and new insights into players can go a long way!

and add

To Boston:

C Joe Thornton

To San Jose:

D Zdeno Chara

Obviously, both players would get the "C" on their new team as well

TimAllen

Feb 1, 2010
Bay Area
Don't know if anyone else has said this, but apparently Thornton texted Drew Remenda and told him that the comments weren't meant to be an insult. Interesting.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Don't know if anyone else has said this, but apparently Thornton texted Drew Remenda and told him that the comments weren't meant to be an insult. Interesting.

They were talking about it in the Sharks News/Notes thread. Someone thought from the beginning that Thornton thought pretty highly of TM just by using the phrase "this family"

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
If this level of drama is maintained, the end of the offseason will never get here for some.

Why does everything need to be so hyperbolic from a fans perspective these days? Having opinions is all well and good but I'm convinced much of the drama is being whipped up by those outside the organisation rather than inside. The fans are becoming the circus as much as anything else if this board is a microcosm of the bigger picture. We have become the Maple Laughs of HF Boards...

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If this level of drama is maintained, the end of the offseason will never get here for some.

Why does everything need to be so hyperbolic from a fans perspective these days? Having opinions is all well and good but I'm convinced much of the drama is being whipped up by those outside the organisation rather than inside. The fans are becoming the circus as much as anything else if this board is a microcosm of the bigger picture. We have become the Maple Laughs of HF Boards...

You've essentially done the same thing you're accusing everyone here of being, just so you know.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Any chance Wilson sticks around and simply buys out Thornton this summer? By my math, his buyout isn't bad (4 years at 2.25 million per)

Or do you think GM/Coach go before Thornton does?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Any chance Wilson sticks around and simply buys out Thornton this summer? By my math, his buyout isn't bad (4 years at 2.25 million per)

Fans thought wilson could not get any free agents to come to san jose before, well good luck even getting the bottom of the barrel players to come here after that.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
Fans thought wilson could not get any free agents to come to san jose before, well good luck even getting the bottom of the barrel players to come here after that.

For the love of Jeebus people , stop crying about the free agents. For example Edmonton who has been garbage for a decade and has a crappy weather like some say has signed plenty of UFA in the last few years and where it has got them? Nowhere. UFA's will come when you throw money at them but why spend for the sake of spending if they really aren't much of an upgrade? Rather play the youngsters instead.
Truly elite UFA's are pretty few and far between. Vrbata would have been a great signing and worth his $ but let's remember that there most likely were dozen teams wanting to sign him.

To the Thornton part, no point buying him out. He is well worth his money.

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013

It was reported in the media the owner didn't want to get rid of Thornton, so I don't think he is going anywhere for 2 years.

I think DW still has another year. Then we will see where the rebuild is at again.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
For the love of Jeebus people , stop crying about the free agents. For example Edmonton who has been garbage for a decade and has a crappy weather like some say has signed plenty of UFA in the last few years and where it has got them? Nowhere. UFA's will come when you throw money at them but why spend for the sake of spending if they really aren't much of an upgrade? Rather play the youngsters instead.
Truly elite UFA's are pretty few and far between. Vrbata would have been a great signing and worth his $ but let's remember that there most likely were dozen teams wanting to sign him.

To the Thornton part, no point buying him out. He is well worth his money.

Yeah i know, signing hossa never helped the hawks, signing chara never helped the bruins, signing gaborik never helped the kings, signing niedermyer never helped the ducks. Those pesky free agents just never help good teams get over the hump.

It is better to throw money at players like scott, burish, brown in the free agency period. Those players will help come playoff time while sit wasting away in the press box being good little cheerleaders.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I don't think buying out Thornton makes any sense. He is still a very effective player who is producing a good level. Plus he is a fan favorite.

Additionally, buying out a player does not help us in the rebuild at all. Main reason to get rid of Thornton was to get draft picks. A buyout would not accomplish that.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
Yeah i know, signing hossa never helped the hawks, signing chara never helped the bruins, signing gaborik never helped the kings, signing niedermyer never helped the ducks. Those pesky free agents just never help good teams get over the hump.

It is better to throw money at players like scott, burish, brown in the free agency period. Those players will help come playoff time while sit wasting away in the press box being good little cheerleaders.

Read harder. As I said elite free agents are few and far between and there's 30 teams in the NHL. The odds are always against you.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
If we are going with tomorrows team then heres my thought. Sign either Sekera or Green. Move Burns back to forward. Those concerned about this health at F should chill. He's got 2 more years under contract. If the wear and tear on him is too great then he doesn't get re-signed or gets re-signed at a lower cost. Burns is here for the long haul imo..

I want to see Fedun,Tennyson be given a real shot.
Vlasic-Green
Dillon-Tennyson
Mueller-Fedun

Not the sexiest but its time to let them play.Nothing to lose imo, this team is already in chaos..Let the kids take their lumps. Should we draft one of the 3 top D prospects then maybe we can use Bergman/Abeltshauser/demelo as trade bait to move up in the 2nd round or to go after another team's goalie prospect.

Offensively we look like this-

Pavs-JT-PM
Goldy-logan-Burns
Wingels-Hertl-Karlsson
Torres-Tierany-Nieto

I want to see our young guys start to develop some chemistry with each other. Still enough talent to compete but atleast the future Sharks will get some serious playing time.
:D

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
If we are going with tomorrows team then heres my thought. Sign either Sekera or Green. Move Burns back to forward. Those concerned about this health at F should chill. He's got 2 more years under contract. If the wear and tear on him is too great then he doesn't get re-signed or gets re-signed at a lower cost. Burns is here for the long haul imo..

I want to see Fedun,Tennyson be given a real shot.
Vlasic-Green
Dillon-Tennyson
Mueller-Fedun

Not the sexiest but its time to let them play.Nothing to lose imo, this team is already in chaos..Let the kids take their lumps. Should we draft one of the 3 top D prospects then maybe we can use Bergman/Abeltshauser/demelo as trade bait to move up in the 2nd round or to go after another team's goalie prospect.

Offensively we look like this-

Pavs-JT-PM
Goldy-logan-Burns
Wingels-Hertl-Karlsson
Torres-Tierany-Nieto

I want to see our young guys start to develop some chemistry with each other. Still enough talent to compete but atleast the future Sharks will get some serious playing time.
:D
That's all great, but where is McDavid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad