Speculation: Sharks 2015-2016 Roster Talk: Rumors, Roster, Proposals. Part IV‎ ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Niemi is a solid goalie in a structured system but the Stars play such a high risk/high reward system that he's going to look really bad at times.

Exactly. Niemi is not a very fast goalie and therefore he will not do well with all these odd man rushes. I remember SJEasy going into detail on this a while back.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Niemi's ultimate issue was that he was a good, complementary goalie on a team that needed a superstar, foundational goalie.

I don't think he would spiral like Nabokov would, but he also had very specific weaknesses that good teams harshly brutalized.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
He was more consistent than Nabokov and better mentally but also just wasn't that good. Him winning on Chicago is pretty much proof that you can be on a winning team without being a fantastic player.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Nabby was pretty good. Probably better than Nemo. Niemi was just so damn low maintenance that he fits like a glove.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I know this wasn't the point of your post, but I suspect Greiss will be getting a decent contract this summer. Personally, I think he's proving this season that he can be a capable #1A.

Niemi was also very chill in terms of personality, but in terms of style, he was a floppy fish. I think Niemi is pretty underrated but his goaltending style is very aesthetically unpleasing.

I suspect that the Isles will wait on giving Greiss a contract this summer. He's got one more year left on his deal after this season and I don't think they'll invest into him until they really need to.

As for Niemi, what made him aesthetically unpleasing besides the flopping was the fact that almost anything above the leg pads had a good chance of going in. I have not seen many goalies worse with their glove and blocker than Nemo.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Niemi was also very chill in terms of personality, but in terms of style, he was a floppy fish. I think Niemi is pretty underrated but his goaltending style is very aesthetically unpleasing.

Might have been, but with Stalock as his backup and a floppy fish moreso, it was kinda hard to see Niemi that way. The most frustrating flaws of Niemi for me was he would be reasonable square and set for the shot, but it just went by him when it should not have.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Nemo's puck reading was pretty poor hence why he whiffed. He'd pick up shots too late and isn't athletic enough to make up for it.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
I feel like Tierney has the skill, smarts and poise to be in the top 6 as early as next year. Really lucky to have so much depth that he's our 4C (and I think people are sleeping on how much of a threat the sharks will be in playoffs with how much depth we have this year).

I wish there was a way he'd make top 6 at some point so we could see what he'd accomplish with some more talented linemates but I really don't see any possibility of that happening in the near future with Goldobin and Meier coming up and Couture and Hertl at center.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
The Sharks have been burned in the past when they expected younger players to take the next step, especially from the 4th line/3rd pairing to the top-9/top-4.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
The Sharks have been burned in the past when they expected younger players to take the next step, especially from the 4th line/3rd pairing to the top-9/top-4.

Yea he's still got issues. Mainly with creating zone pressure. Great playmaker but he's a one and done guy. If the first play doesn't work it's usually going back.

We've tried him at 3c without as much success.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I don't see many that are really comparable to what Tierney is. He's also 21. People may want to pump the brakes on the importance of whatever issues he may have.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I don't think I've ever seen a player that shows so much offensive talent on any given night like Tierney does but pretty regularly ends up with such poor possession results like he does.

I think he's gonna end up as a really good player though.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I don't think I've ever seen a player that shows so much offensive talent on any given night like Tierney does but pretty regularly ends up with such poor possession results like he does.

I think he's gonna end up as a really good player though.

It'll be interesting to see what he is able to do once he has had some time to develop chemistry with capable line mates (e.g. Zubrus and Karlsson). Rotating Brown and Haley onto that line does him no favors in the possession category.

He seems prone to intermittent bouts of the sophomore slump, but that is fairly common with younger player adapting to the rigors of the pro game/schedule. I bet he becomes more consistent with age.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
It'll be interesting to see what he is able to do once he has had some time to develop chemistry with capable line mates (e.g. Zubrus and Karlsson). Rotating Brown and Haley onto that line does him no favors in the possession category.

He seems prone to intermittent bouts of the sophomore slump, but that is fairly common with younger player adapting to the rigors of the pro game/schedule. I bet he becomes more consistent with age.

My issue is mostly with his possession. He has terrible numbers with every forward except karlsson/donskoi/hertl. He's going to learn though and he will probably be a good 2c honestly. He reminds me of filpula and I think he can be better than that.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Tierney's playmaking is already at a high-end 2nd line level. Unfortunately, the rest of his game is barely at a third line level. As mentioned, offensively he's one and done. Defensively, I feel like he isn't quick enough to break up cycles, in addition to not having top-notch anticipation/size/reach like someone like Jumbo.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
That's weird as hell lol

Hope we can re-sign Reimer and Keep Jones between 50 and 60 starts. He obviously does better with rest.

The funny thing is that I think Jim Nill was on to something with the "two starting goalies" thing, he just hitched his wagon to the wrong, expensive horses. It was a couple years ago so I definitely wouldn't be able to find it, but I'm pretty sure it was statistically proven that a goalie's playoff save percentage in a given year did correlate with their number of starts, and showed that goaltenders who got more rest during the year did better. Certainly explains Nabokov.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
The funny thing is that I think Jim Nill was on to something with the "two starting goalies" thing, he just hitched his wagon to the wrong, expensive horses. It was a couple years ago so I definitely wouldn't be able to find it, but I'm pretty sure it was statistically proven that a goalie's playoff save percentage in a given year did correlate with their number of starts, and showed that goaltenders who got more rest during the year did better. Certainly explains Nabokov.

You are talking about the study that SJeasy and I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad