Speculation: Sharks 2015-2016 Roster Talk: Rumors, Roster, Proposals. Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Only issue with Russell is he's a lefty.

It's not really an issue because Martin can move to the right side and with how Dillon has progressed, he's capable of partnering with Burns and being effective at that level.

Vlasic-Braun
Dillon-Burns
Russell-Martin

The only guy conceivably available that work better than Russell is probably Enstrom in terms of quality. But Russell is more affordable, has the ability to move the puck and be an offensive presence from the left side (which this team can really use), and is a pretty good shot-blocker too.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
1. Pick up Weber on waivers
2. Trade a 2nd for Reimer
3. Trade a 2nd+Mueller for Boedker

Hertl-Thornton-Pavelski
Marleau-Couture-Boedker
Nieto-Tierney-Donskoi
Ward-Zubrus-Wingels
Karlsson

Vlasic-Braun
Martin-Burns
Dillon-Weber/Demelo
Weber/Demelo

Jones
Reimer
Stalock

Weber isn't worth the claim, imo. DeMelo puts up a comparable quality of play which to me makes Weber redundant and a more expensive version of DeMelo.

Also, I don't know why anyone would want to spend a 2nd round pick on a rental backup. If the backup had another year on his deal, I can at least understand why even though the value would still be off to me.

Finally, I can't see Arizona giving up on the season and Boedker but if they did, I'd be surprised if that's all they could get for him as a rental.

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA
I don't know with I agree with part of that. I think Goldobin has a lot of value. Someone with at least the potential offensive talent of a 1st line winger, who has already shown improvement on defense? Especially one who is still on his ELC? Yeah, he's got value. Mueller, I have no idea. I can't imagine he has much, but he's still a 1st round pick in a position that usually takes longer to develop, so I could see reasons why other GMs would value him as well.

As for the first part, Wingels I would have no qualms putting into a deal. Probably would be generally OK with parting with Nieto instead if they'd prefer him. (we couldn't lose both, though) Not so sure about Tierney. He was too good for that stretch last year, and has improved enough after the poor start this year that I'd be VERY reluctant to part with him. Besides, if he goes, who centers the 4th line?

Goldobin and Mueller both have value, but they're not enough to be the main asset for a player like Kadri. You would have a hell of a time convincing other GM's that Goldobin is going be a top line winger for them.

Just speculating that Toronto would want Tierney. He has already proven he can dominate in the AHL, and has the potential to somewhat replace what they lose with Kadri.

With the way Wingels has played this season, i don't even think that offer is competitive enough. Toronto will be looking for top dollar (not sure why they would move him in the first place).

Kadri wouldn't make sense based on need and cost to acquire.

You know, if Kadri could be like Couture, borderline 1C/ great 2C, sending Tierney wouldn't be a bad trade. It'd hurt, but once Thornton leaves/retires, Couture, Hertl and Kadri is some good center depth.

Great depth, but also a log jam. Tierney projects perfectly for the 3 slot (with some upside to spare).

Don't want to trade Tierney. ;) He's already one of our best PK guys, too.

Our number one priority, in a trade for a forward, should be getting Donskoi a shooter. Adding a shooter/sniper to that line (and bumping no-hands-Wingels) makes it a solid 2nd line, and turns us into a contender.

Nieto - Marleau - Ward is more suited to be a 3rd line on a team looking to make a serious playoff run.

I want the defensive depth to be addressed, but adding a legit top 6 scoring winger would really get me excited about our chances in the postseason. If Doug goes poor man's winger at the deadline, I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Hudler to play with Couture and Donskoi.

Buff is way better defensively than Burns. He can also actually make a breakout pass. He'd be perfect but as others have said we just don't have the assets.

Agree. Byfuglien has really improved his defensive game since the media lit him up a few seasons ago. Wish Burns would use his size the way Buff does.

Unlikely acquisition, though. Doubt Buff signs an extension with both Braun on Burns already on the right side.

Although, Donskoi - Couture - Burns :sarcasm:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Overrated doesn't necessarily mean bad or that he wouldn't be a fit here. As that author even admits, he'd probably be good at the 3rd pairing role which is what he would be if he were acquired by the Sharks. That article also conveniently uses Fenwick to dismiss the fact that Russell is a good shot-blocker.

A lot of Calgary fans seemed to think that Russell war really not that good and was dragging Giordano down earlier this season. Have things changed recently?

The Flames in general are not that good and are a drag overall. Russell is not going to be confused with one of the good top four d-men in this league but it's doubtful that the Sharks would acquire him to do anything more than be a better version of Dylan DeMelo so I don't see the criticisms against him as relevant. Considering that he'd be playing with someone like Dillon or Martin on the 3rd pairing, he would be playing with someone that balances him out since either of those two are better defensively than Wideman is.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
At this point I just want Byfuglien so LA doesn't get him :\ Can you imagine? uhg

It's going to be awfully difficult for LA to acquire Byfuglien with their cap situation. They'd almost have to go dollar for dollar and I don't think they have that many expendable short-term contracts to allow for that.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
It's going to be awfully difficult for LA to acquire Byfuglien with their cap situation. They'd almost have to go dollar for dollar and I don't think they have that many expendable short-term contracts to allow for that.

They always seem to find a way.

I'm hoping Wilson has learned his lesson and either goes all in and overloads or keeps his assets if he can't get the players he wants.

Guys like Russel and Polak are not going to make this a cup winning team no matter how optimistic people want to be. We simply are not going to beat the Hawks, it's not going to happen. We also likely can't beat LA, let alone a couple of the eastern teams.

I mean if the Sharks can add something like Kadri + Shattenkirk or something along those lines, then we can start to have a conversation about a cup, but without something around that level, it's likely just a waste of assets.

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I can't imagine that LA has the assets to aquired buff.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dal...ins-playoffs-plus-take-brent-burns-trade-talk

Heika agrees with fan that Stars could use dman. Specifically Burns - Stars would need to overpay; and is he the guy worth over paying for (if the Sharks were willing to trade him)?

Lol that team needs defensive defensemen not Burns if anything they should be interested in Vlasic not Burns. Anyways I would do something in the offseason with Burns if they are willing to part with their cream of the crop.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
They always seem to find a way.

I'm hoping Wilson has learned his lesson and either goes all in and overloads or keeps his assets if he can't get the players he wants.

Guys like Russel and Polak are not going to make this a cup winning team no matter how optimistic people want to be. We simply are not going to beat the Hawks, it's not going to happen. We also likely can't beat LA, let alone a couple of the eastern teams.

I mean if the Sharks can add something like Kadri + Shattenkirk or something along those lines, then we can start to have a conversation about a cup, but without something around that level, it's likely just a waste of assets.

I wouldn't go so far as to say they likely can't beat LA. They've held their own against the Kings so far this year so it'll depend on the moves the teams make between now and the deadline and any injuries between now and the playoffs before I could definitively say one way or the other. As it stands now, a Sharks-Kings series would be up in the air or 50-50 to me. Chicago, definitely. However, if Jones is as good as people think he is or could be, he could steal that kind of series. Longs odds still though obviously.

But with this team and their goals, it's not Cup or bust. It's make it and see what happens. Under that premise, getting someone like Russell that fits at the depth level with the ability to step up in the lineup if necessary would make sense and improve the team. A solid add at that level gives them at least a decent opportunity to get out of the 1st and 2nd rounds. And for the business of the team, that's huge.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I wouldn't go so far as to say they likely can't beat LA. They've held their own against the Kings so far this year so it'll depend on the moves the teams make between now and the deadline and any injuries between now and the playoffs before I could definitively say one way or the other. As it stands now, a Sharks-Kings series would be up in the air or 50-50 to me. Chicago, definitely. However, if Jones is as good as people think he is or could be, he could steal that kind of series. Longs odds still though obviously.

But with this team and their goals, it's not Cup or bust. It's make it and see what happens. Under that premise, getting someone like Russell that fits at the depth level with the ability to step up in the lineup if necessary would make sense and improve the team. A solid add at that level gives them at least a decent opportunity to get out of the 1st and 2nd rounds. And for the business of the team, that's huge.

I honestly just dont see Russel or Polak making any difference (positive at least). Not enough to be worth ANY assets anyway. Bare minimum, I think we need a Demers level player... ironically.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Best case scenario: Russell/Polak adds stability, depth.

Worst case scenario: Russell/Polak are subtraction by addition, and take playing time away from young dmen that actually deserve the time like DeMelo.

Unfortunately, history shows the latter is more likely.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
The Flames in general are not that good and are a drag overall.

Russell is probably the biggest reason their possession numbers have been so dreadful over the past few years. I definitely agree that he's overslotted in Calgary but I'd rather get a guy who's proven he can be an effective third pairing (or higher) defenseman than a guy who has failed spectacularly as a second pairing defenseman who *might* be good in a lesser role.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I honestly just dont see Russel or Polak making any difference (positive at least). Not enough to be worth ANY assets anyway. Bare minimum, I think we need a Demers level player... ironically.

Right now, I don't see a substantial difference between the effectiveness of Demers and Russell. Demers on the most prolific offensive team this year isn't producing much more than Russell and I actually think Russell would be a better fit right now because they need that type of player on the left side anyway.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Russell is probably the biggest reason their possession numbers have been so dreadful over the past few years. I definitely agree that he's overslotted in Calgary but I'd rather get a guy who's proven he can be an effective third pairing (or higher) defenseman than a guy who has failed spectacularly as a second pairing defenseman who *might* be good in a lesser role.

The biggest reason why the Flames aren't putting up good possession numbers is because they don't have good possession players and they don't have a possession system. That's why most everyone on that team have poor possession numbers. To pin that on a middle pairing d-man is utterly ridiculous. They don't have THAT much impact on possession numbers of their teammates.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Best case scenario: Russell/Polak adds stability, depth.

Worst case scenario: Russell/Polak are subtraction by addition, and take playing time away from young dmen that actually deserve the time like DeMelo.

Unfortunately, history shows the latter is more likely.

Disagree. History of the players involved shows that Russell is a significantly better overall player than DeMelo and it's unlikely DeMelo ever comes close to that level because he just doesn't have that level of talent. DeMelo is playing solid but he doesn't do anything really well and has no standout skills that are positive. And this team could stand to get a guy that the coach doesn't have to feel like needs benching in the 3rd period.

For all the crap Russell gets, he'll at least play in the 3rd and will likely contribute based on the team that would be around him and the situations he'd likely be put in.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Disagree. History of the players involved shows that Russell is a significantly better overall player than DeMelo and it's unlikely DeMelo ever comes close to that level because he just doesn't have that level of talent. DeMelo is playing solid but he doesn't do anything really well and has no standout skills that are positive. And this team could stand to get a guy that the coach doesn't have to feel like needs benching in the 3rd period.

For all the crap Russell gets, he'll at least play in the 3rd and will likely contribute based on the team that would be around him and the situations he'd likely be put in.

I see your point. WRT DeMelo it's more of a development thing. He's been solid the past few weeks, and I feel like benching him for a guy like Russell who wouldn't add much (imo - again, just from my experiences with CGY fans, they don't care for him much) would be a roadblock for him and a waste of assets and cap space for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad