Sharkies weekly 2004 Entry draft scouting reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-SHARKIE

#66 said:
Now that it looks like the Pens will get Malkin I'm looking to get all of the info that I can on him. I've read your write up on the 1st page, which was great, but I was looking for a player comparison. While I'm pretty sure that you've seen him more than me, I was thinking that he's a Spezza or a taller P. Turgeon type. Please let me know if I'm off base with that and who you would compare him to.

Both Spezza and Turgeon work here. He looks like Eric Staal but the Russian form.....He's got the size that Eric does, he skates just as good as Staal, his game is very mature and is NHL much like Eric was. They both have some of the best vision you'll ever see in a hockey player, very special, Malkin finds people with passes ...much like Datsyuk...People are not ready for that good of a pass. Malkin is an awesome talent. He hits more then Eric Staal does. He has a mean side to him that I like. Malkin and Eric Staal are very comparible prospects IMO.

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
Both Spezza and Turgeon work here. He looks like Eric Staal but the Russian form.....He's got the size that Eric does, he skates just as good as Staal, his game is very mature and is NHL much like Eric was. They both have some of the best vision you'll ever see in a hockey player, very special, Malkin finds people with passes ...much like Datsyuk...People are not ready for that good of a pass. Malkin is an awesome talent. He hits more then Eric Staal does. He has a mean side to him that I like. Malkin and Eric Staal are very comparible prospects IMO.

Hey sharkie just for fun could you go a quick top-10/20 ranking? As a poor Kings fan I would like to see who I can get around 11.

X-SHARKIE

Tadite said:
Hey sharkie just for fun could you go a quick top-10/20 ranking? As a poor Kings fan I would like to see who I can get around 11.

Hello there....well you guys walked away with a steal last year at 13th with Dustin Brown...mabey good fortune well fallow you guys again. Drew Stafford makes alot of sense hear for the Kings IMO.....He's a Keith Thachuck kind of a guy, good size, good skill, and plays hard nosed. I like Drew Stafford....Alexandre Picard is a underated sniper out of the Q... he's not just a sniper though like most think, he has a lively skating stride but is very quick...but his leatership qualities and his willingness to use his body to make the play, and his more hard nosed approach to the game makes me think he could become a Jarome Iginla kind of a player.
Kings may try to pull a Frolov out of there hats again and get the insanely talented yet streaky and egmatic player in Alexadre Radulov.
A.J. Thelen has been listed that low but if he enters....I would take him anywhere from #5-10....He's that good..I'm completely sold on Thelen and have for a while now.... He's my man. If he was there the Kings would be hard pressed not take him.

Kings seem to need goaltending? Alvaro Montoya is likely going to be there....He's the guy that stole the show at thw WJC's...but he's been wildy inconsistant.... Some say he's the next Turco, He also looks like Dan Cloutier at times....A mix between those two goaltenders and you have Alvaro.

#11 pick is a very very good pick....Enver Lisin the Patrick Marleau of the draft IMO his fast and shoots a rocket.

X-SHARKIE

psuflyer said:
Hey Sharkie,
Great work on all the scouting reports. I was wondering what your thoughts are on flyers prospect Bernd Bruckler, since you get to see Wisconsin so often.

Bruckler is a great guy first of all, a class act all the way....I attend a goalie camp in the summer witch i'll be doing around time for the draft.....He's always the nicest man there, although his accent leaves him hard to understand 50% of the time haha.

I remember saying kudos to the Flyers when they took him in the 5th round a few years back. Bruckler is one of the most mechanically sound goalies you'll see....his reflexes are also cat like quick, Not saying his blocker is weak...but his glove is exceptional and is his strength.... He makes amazing glove saves and may have the fastest glove of the NCAA.. His legs are also very quick, he hits the v then pumps out a leg quickly.... Rarely beat on a first shot, and his ability to get infront of a rebound is impressive.....Plays the puck pretty dang good....no Marty Turco but he gets the job done well. Bernd also is a very smart goalie....He really thrives on knowing when to play the angle, and when to poke check ect. He's a thinkings mans goalie... he likes to play agressive at times witch is good and bad.... He is very competitive and when he gets hot he gets hot...sometimes he gets over confident and makes the save to early and the puck goes by him.
Bruckler has been a benifit of some of the best goaltender coaching in the world with Howard in WIsconsin.....Bruckler is a very good prospect, with no glaring weaknesses that just needs to devolope... He'll thrive in the AHL and could possibly creap up and steal a spot in the NHL.

Brucklers future is very bright.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
Very cool, thanks again Sharkie.

psuflyer

Feb 27, 2002
Drexel Hill,PA
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
Bruckler is a great guy first of all, a class act all the way....I attend a goalie camp in the summer witch i'll be doing around time for the draft.....He's always the nicest man there, although his accent leaves him hard to understand 50% of the time haha.

I remember saying kudos to the Flyers when they took him in the 5th round a few years back. Bruckler is one of the most mechanically sound goalies you'll see....his reflexes are also cat like quick, Not saying his blocker is weak...but his glove is exceptional and is his strength.... He makes amazing glove saves and may have the fastest glove of the NCAA.. His legs are also very quick, he hits the v then pumps out a leg quickly.... Rarely beat on a first shot, and his ability to get infront of a rebound is impressive.....Plays the puck pretty dang good....no Marty Turco but he gets the job done well. Bernd also is a very smart goalie....He really thrives on knowing when to play the angle, and when to poke check ect. He's a thinkings mans goalie... he likes to play agressive at times witch is good and bad.... He is very competitive and when he gets hot he gets hot...sometimes he gets over confident and makes the save to early and the puck goes by him.
Bruckler has been a benifit of some of the best goaltender coaching in the world with Howard in WIsconsin.....Bruckler is a very good prospect, with no glaring weaknesses that just needs to devolope... He'll thrive in the AHL and could possibly creap up and steal a spot in the NHL.

Brucklers future is very bright.

Sounds like he has a shot to be a good one, thanks a lot sharkie.

X-SHARKIE

jacksheit said:
Sharkie,
U wanna post who the top 10 teams will pick in the draft?
either in this thread or in a seperate post

I'll take my best stab at it..... I made a first round mock not to long ago I'm sure you could find if you did some rummaging around. Heres my thoughts on who should go where team by team.

1. Washington Capitals: F ALEXANDER OVECHKIN
2. Pittsburgh Penguins: F Evgeni Malkin

3. Chicago Blackhawks: F Rostislav Olesz: Stock has dropped a bit, but when he's been healthy has produced. Plays with alot of heart, very very physical and has a very high skill level....Black Hawks have to deep of defensive corps with there young players to say no to Olesz. Perfect fit in Chicago. Him and Ruutu would give NHL teams huge fits.

4. Columbus Blue Jackets: D CAM BARKER: IMO the Blue Jackets hit a home run here, last year they wanted Zherdev and had him #1 on there board....Barker is the man they want I believe... They'll take him...Gonchar like offensive ability with the potential to be a top notch defender as well. Excelent pick up at the #4 spot for Columbus.

5. Phoenix Coyotes: F WOJTEK WOLSKI: The Coyotes have no problems taking chances on players.... Wolski has a huge frame to grow into at 6-3. One game of Bramtons I caught had him listed at 6-3 6/8ths....so he's a big 6-3. Wolski is a ways away though....His offensive instincts and skills are amazing.... he shows the willingness to go to trafic, but he does not hit! he is soft, he doesnt mind taking a hit, but he does almost 0 work in traffic, he's a finnesse player....Huge upside and the Coyotes shown they know how devolope there players, Wolksi could be there man.

6. New York Rangers: F ROBBY SCHREMP: New York well love Robby.... I hear from numerous people he's actually a very good kid. He's not a headcase. Robby may have the best pure offensive instincts of any prospect in this draft....He has amazing hands. He has a deadly shot, sniper like qualities, plus he has excelent vision and sets up his man with gimme goals. Schremp is a very special player, well have to devolope slowly, his defenisve game leaves much to be desired...I've seen him play on the third line in London and he didnt do well....if he's not scoring he isn't contributing.

7. Florida Panthers: A.J. THELEN: I've discovered A.J. earlier this year, check backwards and I have proof...and mark my words this well be one hell of a defensman....he'll be the top NCAA draft eligible player if he opts in IMO. He's very big, and may add another inch and can add 20 more pounds or so. Thelen skates so well for a man his size, great agility and lateral movement, excelent skater in all departments. He loves to start the rush, he passes the puck cripsly and always tape to tape...very dangerous offesnivly...great instincts....he loves to hit, and he hits very hard. He's very hard nosed in the corners and in front of his own net...Forgot to mention his hard shot. Good coaching and devolopment time and we could have the next Rob Blake here.

8. Carolina Hurricanes: F ANDREW LADD: I hear he has arguably the best work ethic of the draft class. He also has one of the biggest hearts and shows it on the ice.... he goes balls to the wall every single shift...very impressive...He loves to throw his body around...his high octane style creates chances....once a defensman gets the puck he's on him with a snap of a finger....just not a banger...Ladds game is very mature and he's very smart. Helps out back on defense very well, great two way player. Ladd has been compared to Ryan Smyth and I love that comparison. His offensive skills are also impressive, he has a wicked shot, sniper like qualities, he also has a nice slap shot, but his snap shot and wrister are awesome....he sets up his man very well, excelent at passing. His skating is drool worthy....Fast, fluid, smooth, mobile ...he's one of the best all around skaters in the draft....NHL ready....Ladd may go higher. He's one of my favroites in this draft.

9. Anaheim Might Ducks: F LAURI TUKONEN: Excelent all around. Very mature, he has bulked up this year and it has done wonders for him....He is still the very silky smooth skater with a snappy shot with pin point accuracy...but he has added more to his game...he is one of the best players in this draft at working the boards and trafic areas...he uses his big frame well. He excels down low...he passes the puck pretty well. Has good vision. His defensive game has soared to new heights this year...no longer one dimensional, Tukonen is a very dedicated player on the defensive end.

10. Atlanta Thrashers: F DREW STAFFORD: Keith Thakchuk like....He's a b*tch to play against.....Great speed and balance, good size, scorers touch, has good hands, he rather go threw you then around you though. Looked good all year at North Dakota and he played very good at the WJC's in limited ice time. A bruising player with a scoring touch. GOod head on his shoulders I hear, he doesnt have premier offensive tools, but he doesnt need them because of his hard nosed style....does wonders for his team down low.

11. Los Angeles Kings: G MAREK SCHWARZ: Kings well take a goaltender in this position...Extremely fast and Flexible is Schwarz. they have a shot at two very talented goalies.. Schwarz is the best goaltender of the draft and might go higher if somone trades up. Don't be surprised if Montoya is taken here in that case... Schwarz is a Mike Richter like goaltender...I'm takin back on how great his reflexes are....He plays big for his size as well ....excelent on the angles...a very heads up goaltender as well...very vocal on the ice. Schwarz glove side is almost unbeatable and his legs kick out fast as a blink of any eye. Very quick goalie who is overlooked by many. Gets a bad rap on these boards from people who've only seen him play against Canada at the WJC's.

12. Minnesota Wild: F ALEXANDRE PICARD: This guy is great.... A very akward skating stride, pretty quick but not elite but still considered fast. He has been compared to Miroslav Satan and I say he could devolope into a Jarome Iginla kind of player...he has awesome shooting skills. Very good hands, great instincts, and loves to shoot, simply loves to score, goes to the net extremely hard. He's not all show though, he shows captain like qualities....He hustles every shift, every nite, plays extremely hard, doesnt mind hitting but isn't a powerforward...good size at 6-2 200 pounds. He is a work horse for Lewiston...always catches my eye.... A potential elite scorer with more to his game...hard working on defense as well. Might slip because he didnt score like a mad man. Honestly one of my favroite players in the draft.

13. Buffalo Sabres: D WES O'NEIL: I've been watching this guy for the past two years....caught him twice this year and twice on satalite...I saw him many times last year with the Gamblers....He's huge at 6-4 220 pounds....He likes to hit and can dominate physically but it's not his game.... Wes O'Neil skates like the wind, very smooth and has good agility for a man his size..never gets caught flat footed...is not a banger, he's one of the smartest defensman in his own zone in the NCAA....very impressed with his heads up style... comited to defense his offensive game isn't great...Has upside though, he has an excelent transition game, likes to the start the rush if given the time...won't take risks in his own zone and is passive about using his booming shot. A very big, minute logging, smart defensman who well shut down opositions top players. Offensive upside is there but it hasnt taken a step forward for the past two years.

14. Edmonton Oilers: F KYLE CHIPCHURA: I personaly have a friend who knows an Oiler scout....And if some of the guys who have already been taken, mainly Picard are gone, then expect them to go with Chipchura, There also extremely high on both Montoya and Dubnyk. Chipchura is a good skater, he always keeps his feet moving and flys around the ice....Very high intensity kind of guy...loves to throw his weight around. Chipchuras offensive skills are nothing spectacular but he could devolope into a 2nd liner scoring wise.... He has one of the best heads for the game in the draft....Helps out defensivly and even dominates in his own zone...rides his man all the way, back checks like theres no tomorow if his man gets open. CHipchura has good vision offensivly, he well pass before he shoots, great at give and goes.... Very good at passing the puck, takes the safe route to pass it but he's very effective, expecially on the pp, great at doing the dirty work down low and in trafic, has a nose for the net... gives other goalies headaches.
His best asset I hear is from the locker room...according to McKeens he's a natural leader in the lockeroom. Oilers fans could be looking at Picard or Chipchura on draft day.....

If the Oilers go goalie here it's going to be G ALVARO MONTOYA: Edmonton may take a forward here and hope that Dubnyk or Schneider falls to them...... Montoya is a cross between Dan Cloutier and Marty Turco IMO. His mechanics are strong but he still takes the unorthadox approach to making some saves. He has good size and when he's confident he plays the angles well....he was stronger in his freshman year and aside from his WJC's his game at Michigan hasn't been to strong. Very flexible and much like Schwarz Montoya is awesome down low, shooters almost dont even try shooting down there...gives you nothing to look at with his great stance, and is cat like taking down low away, great stick work and rebounds are not easy to get off of him. On off nights his approach on the angles is confusing....He has to be taken slowly, a project with big results....

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I was wondering if Youve seen Dustin Boyd play at all this year for Moose Jaw, and if you have an opinion on him? He seems to have had a dissapointing year but I would imo that it would be tough to put up alot of points as a third line center, ecxspecially when Brodziak and Fleaschmen are ahead of him on the depth chart.

czechhockeyfan

Mar 8, 2003
Czech republic
Visit site
Tadite said:
I must have miss-read the reports. 3 different teams? Isn't that just a little strange?

But I think you are right so long as he is geting 20+ games in a adult league he should be fine. Thats about what Kari got in his draft year.

A little bit of explanation: Schwarz started the season as back-up in Sparta senior Prague team occassionally playing for Sparta junior team. Subsequently Trinec senior team got into trouble with goalies as both their current G got hurt. Schwarz was loaned there to help Trinec and at the same time to get more playing time among men. Schwarz performed immensely there but Sparta pulled him off back and loaned him again to Plzen for higher reward. Before the trade deadline in Czech Extraleague(around mid-January) Sparta took him away and he finished the season in Sparta Prague. He played lots of games altogether(men and junior Extraleague, Czech U-18 and U-20 National teams) in first half of the season(even too much) but played irregularly(also due to injury) in second half.

I understand It looks strange. Czech Extraleague has some weird rules.

X-SHARKIE

I agree. Dustin has alot going for him..... He's an exclent skater, very fast and can get to to speed very quick, he's agressive and really flies out there.....Judging by his numbers he is great at faceoffs. Boyd also plays a very agressive style of hockey. Would fit very well in a Barry Trotz like system were speed and agression do alot. He also packs one hell of a shot but is timid to use it.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
X-SHARKIE said:
I agree. Dustin has alot going for him..... He's an exclent skater, very fast and can get to to speed very quick, he's agressive and really flies out there.....Judging by his numbers he is great at faceoffs. Boyd also plays a very agressive style of hockey. Would fit very well in a Barry Trotz like system were speed and agression do alot. He also packs one hell of a shot but is timid to use it.
Thanks a lot for the update

sushinsky4tsar

Oct 17, 2002
Edina, MN
Visit site
If you could help me out w/ any of these qs it would be greatly appreciated:

1) A comparison of the upsides of Stafford, Thelen, or Picard to any current NHL player. (I heard Thelen has a chance to be the next Blake?)

2) Do you see any possibility that either Green or O'Neil will go before Thelen? Are you confident that Thelen will be able to qb a powerplay at this level? The chances that Stafford will fall to 12?

3) Where do you see Hedman going?

X-SHARKIE

Hello there.

Answer to question 1:

I love the three players your asking about first off.

I'm A.J. Thelens biggest fan on these boards...I've seen him live 3 times now and quite a bit over satalite...he's the real deal and he did it all at such a young age it amazes me....If a team is patient with him... He could be the next Rob Blake of the league...he has that kind of upside. Alexandre Picard is more then just a slick sniper...at the moment he looks like Satan but his more powerfull game and starting to use his frame leaves me thinking he could devolope into a Jarome Iginla like player...He shows captain like qualities and once he bulks up could top out at 220.
Drew Stafford doesn't have elite skill but should devolope into a speedy, hard nosed agressive powerforward....He reminds me of Keith Tkachuck but faster but the hands are not as good.

2. I'm sold on Thelen and very confident in his ability to QB a powerplay if taken along slowly and not rushed. Thelens upside is huge...he should go higher then Green and O'Neil...Green is a bit safer pick and so is O'Neil but there upside doesn't touch Thelens and most teams draft thinking long term. Thelen should go ahead of those two.

3. I would use a late first round pick on Hedman but others see him as a early 2nd round pick....sure he's only 6-0 but he's built and plays like a bull! he shows very good poise with the puck and can skate well...has a nasty edge to him and shows offesnive ability....great defensive positioning. Not shooting for the moon on this pick but could get a mix of M. Schneider and B. Marchment.

st_roland

X-SHARKIE said:
3. I would use a late first round pick on Hedman but others see him as a early 2nd round pick....sure he's only 6-0 but he's built and plays like a bull! he shows very good poise with the puck and can skate well...has a nasty edge to him and shows offesnive ability....great defensive positioning. Not shooting for the moon on this pick but could get a mix of M. Schneider and B. Marchment.

The physicality of Schneider with the puck poise of Marchment?

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
X-SHARKIE said:

Sharkie, where have you seen Hedman (/ or on what tape, featuring what game). I ask of curiosity since he has hardly played in any games that have been televised.

He has been Sweden's best player along with goalie Ã…kerlund so far in the U18 WJC, so his stock is not falling at least :)

X-SHARKIE

Predatore said:
Sharkie, where have you seen Hedman (/ or on what tape, featuring what game). I ask of curiosity since he has hardly played in any games that have been televised.

He has been Sweden's best player along with goalie Ã…kerlund so far in the U18 WJC, so his stock is not falling at least :)

Good to hear about Akerlund.....

I saw Hedman twice....both were on tapes from the U-18's in 2003 when he was Swedens best player IMO. Although Sweden took 6th place last year. I like him alot.....and I've been following and have seen that he is now getting the regular shifts he deserves in the SEL.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
okay
little confused though, Hedman did not play in the U18's last year, and Sweden finished 5th btw ;)

X-SHARKIE

I'm sorry.... I didnt mean at the actual U-18's thats going on right now..

Honest mistake...nothing to get excited about....I'm talking about the U-18's World Junior Cup tournament in the Czech Republic in 2003. Not the actual U-18's and I memory serves me well Sweden definilty took 6th.

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
X-SHARKIE said:
One of the most promising 2004 entry draft elgible players IMO is Carl Soderberg from Sweden.

I'll just add that he got great work ethics, saw him some days ago in Sweden. He skates a lot all the time. He needs to be more "cool" though, when he didn't get the puck in his free area, he skated away and in the mess with all the other players, instead of waiting for the puck to come to him. But I agree, he is gonna be really good. Played on MIF's firt line this game along with Kim Staal and Franz Nielsen.

X-SHARKIE said:
Another underated Sweden born player is Oscar Hedman
A very solid defensman, this draft years Mark Stuart.

I just want to say that he has played some Senior hockey in the SEL this season also, and was considered one of the ice best players in those games, although I haven't seen it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad