Sharkies weekly 2004 Entry draft scouting reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
rivercanyon said:
Ive seen Hedman several times and in SEL. He has good mobility, excellent position. His passing game stands out most. He is strong and uses his 209 lbs.

Rivercanyon,
What player is it on your picture? It's a Modo player I assume. ;)

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
Predatore said:
Robertsson 4-ever,
he goes by the name Jesper Andersson I believe :)

Thanks Pred,
One of those skilled 86's coming from Modo then. Looks like Modo once again are producing a lot of skilled youngsters after being a little donw since 1980. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they haven't produced that many since the Sedins with good SEL quality. Tobias Enström excluded.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
true.
Lindström, Wennerberg, Zajkowski, Öberg, Almtorp etc are all good prospects but hardly "good SEL quality". More like average, or below average.
I still think they can become above average players and hopefully in Lindström's case (when his injuries are behind him) a NHLer.

X-SHARKIE

Rather Gingerly 1 said:
Could you do one on Cam Barker? :eek:

Some people out there have said Cam Barkers stock has fallen ect. ect. I dont see it..... Barker is still #3 on my board.

Lets get the easy stuff out of the way...Cam Barker is 6-3 215 pounds, perfect size for a defensman. Great skating ability, Very mobile player with great agility, very smooth, very powerfull, and quick skating stride, he covers the ice very well....He also has no problem with lateral movement and he skates backwards exeptionally well. Has a great head for the game, subpurb on ice vision. Very poised with the puck...THE BEST TRANSITION GAME of any player in this draft, mabey the best in awhile. Cam Barker has very soft hands, awesome at moving the puck...passes are hard on right on the tape. He can do it him self as well though...He reads the ice so well, and really knows how to use his skating ability...he can take it end to end...he's very dangerous this way. Double threat that teams fear. I have seen him make only around 3 bad plays with the puck over the years.....he's very smart with what he does...but I have seen him turn it over at bad times....You want this player on your team in all situations....Heavily realide on and getting value time on the PP....HEavy heavy shot....Very creative and smart..PP Quaterback all the way. Very scary.
Defensivly he's very good to....he plays the one on one situations as good as anyone...His positioning has really improved. He likes to hit, Barker also has a mean streak to him..Barker is a warrior in front of the net...well not tolerate anyone getting near his goalie..Cam well hit, and when he hits, it's usually a doozy.
Blackhawks may think he's to good pass up at the #3 spot...if he falls to Columbus then Blue Jackets fans well very happy with this franchise caliber defensman.
Offensive ability much like Sergei Gonchars with sound and physical defensive play.

Boondock Saint

Mar 6, 2003
X-SHARKIE said:
Some people out there have said Cam Barkers stock has fallen ect. ect. I dont see it..... Barker is still #3 on my board.

Lets get the easy stuff out of the way...Cam Barker is 6-3 215 pounds, perfect size for a defensman. Great skating ability, Very mobile player with great agility, very smooth, very powerfull, and quick skating stride, he covers the ice very well....He also has no problem with lateral movement and he skates backwards exeptionally well. Has a great head for the game, subpurb on ice vision. Very poised with the puck...THE BEST TRANSITION GAME of any player in this draft, mabey the best in awhile. Cam Barker has very soft hands, awesome at moving the puck...passes are hard on right on the tape. He can do it him self as well though...He reads the ice so well, and really knows how to use his skating ability...he can take it end to end...he's very dangerous this way. Double threat that teams fear. I have seen him make only around 3 bad plays with the puck over the years.....he's very smart with what he does...but I have seen him turn it over at bad times....You want this player on your team in all situations....Heavily realide on and getting value time on the PP....HEavy heavy shot....Very creative and smart..PP Quaterback all the way. Very scary.
Defensivly he's very good to....he plays the one on one situations as good as anyone...His positioning has really improved. He likes to hit, Barker also has a mean streak to him..Barker is a warrior in front of the net...well not tolerate anyone getting near his goalie..Cam well hit, and when he hits, it's usually a doozy.
Blackhawks may think he's to good pass up at the #3 spot...if he falls to Columbus then Blue Jackets fans well very happy with this franchise caliber defensman.
Offensive ability much like Sergei Gonchars with sound and physical defensive play.

That's pretty high praise for a guy Kevin Prendergast, the head of Oilers scouting, claimed would be behind Phaneuf, Coburn and Suter if he were in last year's draft.

Where would you rank him with those other three coming into last year's draft??

Alex Kovalev

Apr 28, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
Visit site
Sharkie or whomever can answer this question, can somebody give me an update on Finnish forward Lauri Korporski. I know hes really been heating things up recently. If anyone could get me some info on this guy it would be greatly appreciated. I am particularly interested in what round he could be selected in. Is he a late round guy? or maybe a 2nd or a 3rd or something.

X-SHARKIE

It's easy to say that he would be behind Phaneuf now...but comparing what Barker has done to what Phaneuf did before his draft year. Most would say Barker...but now after seeing what Phaneuf has done this year he would be put behind Phaneuf.

Coming into there draft years: This means the Ryan Suter,Phaneuf, and Cobourn we saw before the 2003 entry draft.

1. Cam Barker
2. Ryan Suter
3. Braydon Coburn
4. Dione Phaneuf

Now after watching those players devolope it's a different story here is who I would take. First off though let me tell you...these are 4 exclent defensman ...expecially the top 3.... Teams well love these 4 and we should be hearing there names for years to come.

1. Dione Phaneuf
2. Cam Barker
3. Ryan Suter ( I like him alot, but he's appears more like a #2...Adam Foote kind of player defensivly...offensive abilities are better then Footes though by a fine margin.)
4. Braydon Coburn: Still a great prospect...HUGE, Hard hitting, great skating player... Didn't impress me in big games though...expecially at the WJC's.

X-SHARKIE

Alex Kovalev said:
Sharkie or whomever can answer this question, can somebody give me an update on Finnish forward Lauri Korporski. I know hes really been heating things up recently. If anyone could get me some info on this guy it would be greatly appreciated. I am particularly interested in what round he could be selected in. Is he a late round guy? or maybe a 2nd or a 3rd or something.

Can't help you there.... :help: anyone?

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Wow, that's incredibly ironic, because I was just about to come ask about Korpikoski myself.

I know several of you do not like Redline Report at all, but I do and I respect Woodlief. I give Redline full credit because they had hyped this guy a few months ago.

Back in February, after the U18 tournament (Five nations, I think?) in Finland, he went from not being on the list to being number 26. I have a little quote from the article but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post that kind of stuff on the boards without getting into trouble. I don't have RLR myself, but someone from another board does.

Korpikoski is supposedly very talented and mixes in grit into his game. He has continued to do this in the current U18 tournament, and the trio of Korpikoski, Nokelainen, and Tukonen have managed to put up quite a bit of points for the Finns. I'm really hoping that either Nokelainen or Korpikoski will be putting on a Penguin sweater this June. I'd love to see Tukonen too, but unless we make some type of trade, that won't happen.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
Alex Kovalev said:

Ask Laituri

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
I'm sorry.... I didnt mean at the actual U-18's thats going on right now..

Honest mistake...nothing to get excited about....I'm talking about the U-18's World Junior Cup tournament in the Czech Republic in 2003. Not the actual U-18's and I memory serves me well Sweden definilty took 6th.

Well it's not a mistake, you said it was the 2003 U-18.

Boondock Saint

Mar 6, 2003
X-SHARKIE said:
It's easy to say that he would be behind Phaneuf now...but comparing what Barker has done to what Phaneuf did before his draft year. Most would say Barker...but now after seeing what Phaneuf has done this year he would be put behind Phaneuf.

Coming into there draft years: This means the Ryan Suter,Phaneuf, and Cobourn we saw before the 2003 entry draft.

1. Cam Barker
2. Ryan Suter
3. Braydon Coburn
4. Dione Phaneuf

Now after watching those players devolope it's a different story here is who I would take. First off though let me tell you...these are 4 exclent defensman ...expecially the top 3.... Teams well love these 4 and we should be hearing there names for years to come.

1. Dione Phaneuf
2. Cam Barker
3. Ryan Suter ( I like him alot, but he's appears more like a #2...Adam Foote kind of player defensivly...offensive abilities are better then Footes though by a fine margin.)
4. Braydon Coburn: Still a great prospect...HUGE, Hard hitting, great skating player... Didn't impress me in big games though...expecially at the WJC's.

Interesting..... I think Barker might be getting over-rated simply because he seems to be quite a bit in front of the other defensemen in his class........

Guy Flaming's Interview with Kevin Prendergast said:
HF: One of those defensemen that a lot of people are talking about is Cam Barker. Can you compare him to the three big D-men from last year (Ryan Suter, Braydon Coburn and Dion Phaneuf) and say that he is that caliber of player?

KP: Well I think he has a chance to be. He struggled early on this year but he’s gotten better over the last six weeks. I think if he were in a draft with those three guys from last year he would be fourth on the list of most teams. It’s a different year and he brings different things to the table and I think Cam’s probably going to go in the top 15 in this year’s draft.

NOTE: Article was published just after X-mas.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=6545

Last edited:

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
rivercanyon said:
Ive seen Hedman several times and in SEL. He has good mobility, excellent position. His passing game stands out most. He is strong and uses his 209 lbs.
Hedman was one of, if not the best, DF at the recent world U18s. I think he might have secured a top 20 position for himself.
Insider talk ;)

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I was wondering if anyone could give me a scouting report on Liam Reddoxsp. He seemed to have himself an awsome u18 for Canada.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
First of all, thanks very much for this thread. A treasure trove of insight into various prospects many of us do not have a chance to see or evaluate.

I've heard the Caps are keen on Russian defenseman Roman Tesliuk of the Kamloops Blazers for one of their late first/early second rounders. Any word on how he looks? Thanks again for all these evaluations.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
steblick said:
Sharkie-

Since you are based in Wisconsin, I wonder if you could give us a read on Kyle Klubertanz and Victor Oreskovich, if you haven't already.

Thanks.

Yes, I'm interested in hearing more on those 2 as well. I saw both play once, and Klubertanz looked very impressive.

Is Victor related to Phil Oreskovich?

X-SHARKIE

I love Kyle Klubertanz game….In fact he may be my favroite player of all the USHL 2004 eligibles. He reminds me a lot of Matt Carle of the San Jose Sharks org. Klubertanz is a great powerplay QB. He sees the ice so well…He plays the game with his head. A very smart, crafty defensman who shows excelent awareness. Kyle is a great playmaker from the point, a accurate slap shot to boot. His defensive game is very sound. He skates well, plays man to man coverage subpurbly well….obviosly well coached at a young age. All around a mr. Hockey kind of player. He just knows the game. Everything is there except a huge frame. He plays both defensively and offensively. Overall I see Klubertanz going late 2nd round early 3rd.
Victor Oreskovich stats are not impressive…but his play has been awesome this year. He’s got great size at 6-2 215. He has very good hands, he moves the puck well and has good vision and makes the play. Not a force offensivly early in the season but he has stepped it up later in the season. He was Green Bays best forward as the season progressed. Oreskovich game is very mature. He plays the defensive aspects well, and he is a monster in trafic. He dominates down low, and is a pest in front of the net…Never gives up on a play. He skates well for a man his size. Oreskovich lacks elite playmaking and goal scoring ability. Should devolope into a 2nd tier powerforward.

X-SHARKIE

Roman Tesliuk could be a steal if he falls into the 2nd round. He’s a very safe pick, He’ll play in the NHL. Tesliuk is one of my favroites actually. I have a soft spot for guys who don’t have size…he’s well built but he’s only 6-0. Resliuk is one hell of a skater…He really moves quick….Mabey the most explosive/powerfull stride in the Draft. He really has a lot of power in his legs…moves very fast and very quick…He has great balance and is hard to knock off the puck or down anywhere. Roman is also one of the smarter defensman in the draft in his own zone…He is a shut down defenseman. Awesome in his own zone.. Reads the play before it happens…always knows his assignments, always barking out calls to his line mates. An amazing PK’er. Overall a machine in his own zone. He is one mean customer as well. Hits hard! Very gritty, very hard to beat in front and in the corners….can handle big forwards. Overall a machine in his own zone….one of the better skaters in the draft and he caries a wallope. He hits hard and shows a liking to punish…a moderate hard shot that has accuracy…and his overall smarts of the game added to his skating ability makes him a threat offensivly. A safe pick with good upside. Shouldn’t slip out of the 1st round. Mabey GM’s and reports are afraid to hype him because his lack of offensive production..but the potential is there.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
X-SHARKIE said:
Roman Tesliuk could be a steal if he falls into the 2nd round. He’s a very safe pick, He’ll play in the NHL. Tesliuk is one of my favroites actually. I have a soft spot for guys who don’t have size…he’s well built but he’s only 6-0. Resliuk is one hell of a skater…He really moves quick….Mabey the most explosive/powerfull stride in the Draft. He really has a lot of power in his legs…moves very fast and very quick…He has great balance and is hard to knock off the puck or down anywhere. Roman is also one of the smarter defensman in the draft in his own zone…He is a shut down defenseman. Awesome in his own zone.. Reads the play before it happens…always knows his assignments, always barking out calls to his line mates. An amazing PK’er. Overall a machine in his own zone. He is one mean customer as well. Hits hard! Very gritty, very hard to beat in front and in the corners….can handle big forwards. Overall a machine in his own zone….one of the better skaters in the draft and he caries a wallope. He hits hard and shows a liking to punish…a moderate hard shot that has accuracy…and his overall smarts of the game added to his skating ability makes him a threat offensivly. A safe pick with good upside. Shouldn’t slip out of the 1st round. Mabey GM’s and reports are afraid to hype him because his lack of offensive production..but the potential is there.
Thanks for the quick reply!

st_roland

TKLOOCH22 said:
Roman Tesliuk is beginning more and more to resemble the Sen's Anton Volchenkov.(Obviously just based on their type of game, not a comparison)

Doesn't Volchenkov have a big offensive upside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad