• Shane Wright

• Brad Lambert

• Too close to call

Results are only viewable after voting.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Thought about bumping this old poll where Wright won 88% of the vote, but it's expired, so I figured I'd start a new one.

Curious to see what everyone's thoughts are at this point. I think Lambert has been the better player this year in the AHL, but Wright seems to be universally ranked above Lambert in prospect rankings (38th vs 117th in Pronman's list, 15th vs 34th in Wheeler's list, 5th vs 16th in the hockey writer's ranking etc).

Here are their AHL numbers:
  • Lambert 48gp 18g 40p +1 Team ranks: 1st in goals, 2nd in points, 1st in pts/gp
  • Wright 49gp 19g 37p +0 Team ranks: T-2nd in goals, 6th in points, 5th in pts/gp
Wright has had a solid year playing on a loaded CV roster (and not always getting prime opportunities as a result), but Lambert has been Manitoba's best forward, and has been absolutely dynamic every time I've watched him. More importantly, his overall game has continued to mature this year.

I think you can make the case that Lambert was also better last year in CHL play, which makes it hard to understand why Wright is consistently rated significantly ahead of Lambert.

I can see an argument for picking either of these two, but I don't see any argument for a massive gap. Do the "experts" really put that much stock into draft position 2 years later??

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I didn't vote as both players at one point were really high prospects then their outlooks changed.

I still like them as players and forecast Wright as scoring more NHL goals but Lambert will be more exciting, as you point out he is more dynamic, and it will be interesting to watch how they progress.

Too close to call option should be here.

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
I won't pretend to know a ton about these guys. But I've heard too much talk about Wright's "NHL readiness" to vote against him.

Call it name recognition. But track record matters.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I didn't vote as both players at one point were really high prospects then their outlooks changed.

I still like them as players and forecast Wright as scoring more NHL goals but Lambert will be more exciting, as you point out he is more dynamic, and it will be interesting to watch how they progress.

Too close to call option should be here.
Added

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
giphy.gif

IYKYK

• Wow
Reactions: Shark Finn

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I won't pretend to know a ton about these guys. But I've heard too much talk about Wright's "NHL readiness" to vote against him.
He was praised as being NHL ready during his draft year, but it quickly became apparent that was a false narrative. He really hasn't looked NHL ready when he's played in the NHL, though he was better this year than last year.

Lambert's track record has arguably been the better over the 2 seasons, seems like an odd thing to point out if you're voting for Wright?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Surprised to see I'm the only one sitting on the fence. :dunno:

Then again I don't know a whole lot about either prospect. Guess we'll know by next season.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Talk does not equal track record. I wouldn't vote based on that.

Though to me Wright does look increasingly close to NHL ready.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think Lambert's better, mainly because he's been improving steadily while Wright seems to stagnate. And Lambert just has the greater potential with higher-end tools.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I think Lambert's better, mainly because he's been improving steadily while Wright seems to stagnate. And Lambert just has the greater potential with higher-end tools.
Lambert was actually a pretty big faller his draft year, even more than Wright, so by that logic his progression has not been linear.

I would give it to Lambert by a hair, these 2 guys (along with Savoie) were pegged as the top 04's since the time they were like 13 or 14, so both have *regressed* at least slightly compared to the pack.

I still think it could go either way and there could very well be some flip-flopping over the next few years as each will likely develop at different rates.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Lambert was actually a pretty big faller his draft year, even more than Wright, so by that logic his progression has not been linear.
Okay? But that was at the draft.

Lambert has gotten significantly better each of the past few seasons, while Wright has stagnated, and one could argue that he's not currently better than he was when he got drafted.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Okay? But that was at the draft.

Lambert has gotten significantly better each of the past few seasons, while Wright has stagnated, and one could argue that he's not currently better than he was when he got drafted.
he is absolutely better now than when he got drafted lol.

You think he would have put up these numbers in the AHL 2 years ago?

I'm not saying I'd choose Wright, but Lambert is not the poster child for "linear development" either

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
while Wright has stagnated, and one could argue that he's not currently better than he was when he got drafted.

Wright wasn't half as good in his draft year. He's gotten much quicker and stronger since then, and taken a lot of the passivity out of his game. I think the undeserved hype he got from the Canadian media back then, to going to a more anonymous situation with Seattle, has led people to miss that he's a much improved player.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Wright wasn't half as good in his draft year. He's gotten much quicker and stronger since then, and taken a lot of the passivity out of his game. I think the undeserved hype he got from the Canadian media back then, to going to a more anonymous situation with Seattle, has led people to miss that he's a much improved player.
Agreed, he may have actually come further than Lambert IMO. Lambert always passed the eye test for me, but Wright was pretty terrible in his draft year, mostly due to his passivity. I had doubts at times that he'd even be an NHL player, even though the talent was there.

But he's really come a long way, and is now playing good pro hockey. I might give him another half year in the minors before pushing to make him an NHL regular.

While it's great that Lambert's counting stats have rebounded, most of his progression has just been in his puck management in high risk areas, an area you expect most guys to improve as they make the leap from junior to the AHL. But he's always had a great motor, and the raw talent is obvious.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
you’d imagine Lambert is a lot closer to Top 10 now in a redraft at this point which speaks volumes about his development

Apples v oranges stylistically w these two. Wrights probably a safer bet to be an impact guy with Lambert having a higher ceiling

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
you’d imagine Lambert is a lot closer to Top 10 now in a redraft at this point which speaks volumes about his development

Apples v oranges stylistically w these two. Wrights probably a safer bet to be an impact guy with Lambert having a higher ceiling

Lambert should have never fallen out of anyone’s top 10. Plenty of people still had him there on draft day.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Jets have done a great job with developing Lambert. They basically looked at what Lambert and his family were doing to him, pushing him into competition that was way above his head and took the opposite approach. They dropped him down to the CHL, let him play the role they hope to see him in one day at the NHL level. They are letting him progress at his own pace. He passed the CHL test. He’s become a good offensive AHL player. Next year let’s hope he can work on rounding his game out.

They are just letting him focus on the task at hand and not pushing him to look at the next step before he is done with the current one. Last year they just let him focus on being a CHL player. This year, just let him be an AHL player, no call ups, this is your job. Next year, re evaluate and see if he can get some NHL games if he has earned it.

Reactions: Flair Hay

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Haven't seen much of Wright this year, esp since reliable AHL is harder to access over the pond, but Lambert has made significant strides from his draft year based on my viewings, particularly in the areas of positioning and anticipation of where the play is headed vs trying to push plays despite their percentage. His skating, puck skills and relentless engine were always apparent but have kept pace with a smarter, more direct overall game, which is far from a given as players develop in the A. Still needs some work on his shot repertoire IMO and on making the simpler exit plays in his own zone but he's gotten better and more effective on a pretty mid-to-crap Moose side.

OTOH, carrying his team represents a prime opportunity for a player with his skill set, so the jump onto a team where he'll have a much more strictly defined role may prove the bigger challenge.

But he seems like a player who is well liked and respected on the team and by coaching, all of which bodes well for next steps.

Hopefully deal-facilitator Andrew Copp is around to dig the pucks out of the nets as Lambert fills 'em.

Wright, as former prodigy and presumptive 1OA for a while there, and the safer "high floor" player, is always going to have an edge here for many. Hopefully both will have productive NHL careers.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Lambert's track record has arguably been the better over the 2 seasons, seems like an odd thing to point out if you're voting for Wright?
How so? I haven't really watched either guy play enough to have much of a view at all....Shane played his minor hockey on the same teams my son now plays for, which would normally create some bias for me and it would if I had seen him during his time here and I starting tracking him....but oddly, I have no bias towards him.

If I'm simply looking at stats, the past 2 years:

- CHL - Wright 20gp, 15g, 37pts, Lambert - 27gp, 17g, 38pts
- AHL - Wright 57gp, 23g, 43pts, Lambert - 63pg, 20g, 44pts
- NHL - Wright has played games, Lambert has not.

Again, acknowledging my lack of watch much of either player, purely looking at stats does not suggest, to me anyway, that Lambert's track record has been better over the last 2 seasons......basically same goals and points in more games played and no NHL experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad