Shane Pinto's next contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
1. Are we for sure bringing Pinto to arb?

2. His 20-goals could make that a bit scary TBH.
1. No, it's not for sure. He would have received a the qualifying offer by June 25th though. I don't think hearings start until July 20th (iirc). It may not get that far.

2. There are rules for a QO award in this situation. You can read about them in the 2nd link that was provided post #15.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
He is going to end up with a bridge deal between 2.5 and 3 million per for 2 years is my guess. Sens are going to have 0 depth this year. Really have to hope players like Pinto, Stutzle, Sanderson and Brannstrom take another big step in development. Big bounce back years from Batherson and Chabot. Have to hope that Greig, Sokolov, JBD and Jarventie are NHL players or atleast can push for NHL spots.
Therein lies the problem with poor asset management. I think in PD's mind, he knows his core is locked up and he's been more than willing to ship off picks for immediate help. Unfortunately our prospect pool is bottom 5 in the league now so our primary trade chips are picks which will only compound the problem. NJ / Carolina are good examples of how to manage assets. They're overflowing with talent and have plenty to trade.

Going back to Pinto, as I mentioned earlier he shouldn't get more than 2M.

Pinto and Sanderson's contracts going forward are going to be a challenge for the GM that inevitably takes over later this year.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Therein lies the problem with poor asset management. I think in PD's mind, he knows his core is locked up and he's been more than willing to ship off picks for immediate help. Unfortunately our prospect pool is bottom 5 in the league now so our primary trade chips are picks which will only compound the problem. NJ / Carolina are good examples of how to manage assets. They're overflowing with talent and have plenty to trade.

Going back to Pinto, as I mentioned earlier he shouldn't get more than 2M.

Pinto and Sanderson's contracts going forward are going to be a challenge for the GM that inevitably takes over later this year.

I see these as our most interesting/valuable trade chips in terms of futures:
2024 1st
2024 2nd
2025 1st
2025 2nd
2026 1st
D - Filip Nordberg (64th in 2022)
RW- Tyler Boucher (10th in 2021)
C - Zack Ostapchuk (39th in 2021)
D - Benjamin Roger (49th in 2021)

I think we need to trade Chabot and DeBrincat for cheaper replacements. I've proposed Chabot for Farabee and DeBrincat for Pesce, but IDK if that's feasible for PHI in particular. I think CAR takes that deal though.

Some Flyers fans do seem to think a 1st and 2nd (maybe a tad more) is roughly what it would take to get Farabee, and I believe he's the perfect 2LW to replace DeBrincat. Cost controlled and young. But then what do we do with Chabot?

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
How many carrer 3rd liners score 20 goals in their rookie season as a 21yr old?
I think he's going to be a 2nd line caliber player pretty soon
But, if we get back to the theme of the thread you created, the cap situation as well as "possibly" Pinto's 10.2.c. status is the environment that will have a bearing on what happens.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Can't see Pinto rising above his role as a third line center. Especially on this team. Might be trade bait!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Can't see Pinto rising above his role as a third line center. Especially on this team. Might be trade bait!
I couldn't disagree more, IMO I think Pinto has second line potential. In his first full season with Ottawa he put up 35 pts, looked very comfortable most of the time & is a very good 2 way centre with a great shot & is also very good at faceoffs. He's got good size & reach & also has some very good offensive instincts & skill. I guess we'll see next season if he progresses forward or regresses, but I suspect he will top last season's numbers.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Also ridiculous to assume pinto won’t get opportunity to play in the top 6. Injuries happen
Yoou know, if DBC were not to return & Batherson was comfortable being a playmaker on the left side as DBC was, a Batherson - Norris - Pinto line would be interesting & could help all three players rack up some points. Crazy I know. It would clearly leave a big hole on the 3rd line while improving the second line but it would fill all the positions.

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Giroux - one of the best top lines in the NHL
Batherson - Norris - Pinto - two good faceoff guys on either side
Smejkal- Greig - Joseph - wild car is Smejkal who has played C
Kelly - Kastelic -Sokolov - Soko might just bring this 4th line some offence

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yoou know, if DBC were not to return & Batherson was comfortable being a playmaker on the left side as DBC was, a Batherson - Norris - Pinto line would be interesting & could help all three players rack up some points. Crazy I know. It would clearly leave a big hole on the 3rd line while improving the second line but it would fill all the positions.

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Giroux - one of the best top lines in the NHL
Batherson - Norris - Pinto - two good faceoff guys on either side
Smejkal- Greig - Joseph - wild car is Smejkal who has played C
Kelly - Kastelic -Sokolov - Soko might just bring this 4th line some offence
Might work.

We would be under the Cap Ceiling then. :)

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I couldn't disagree more, IMO I think Pinto has second line potential.
Potential or not hardly matters. Jordan Staal spent six years as a third line center because Crosby and Malkin were above him. Until Pinto proves he is betetr than Stuzle/Norris or gets traded, he's a third line center. Injuries aside of course, but thats the same for every third line center in the league.

Its the reason why Sanderson is and will remain a second pairing D man .....

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Potential or not hardly matters. Jordan Staal spent six years as a third line center because Crosby and Malkin were above him. Until Pinto proves he is betetr than Stuzle/Norris or gets traded, he's a third line center. Injuries aside of course, but thats the same for every third line center in the league.

Its the reason why Sanderson is and will remain a second pairing D man .....
Sanderson is going to lead the Sens in icetime, he is their #1 D.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
How many carrer 3rd liners score 20 goals in their rookie season as a 21yr old?
I think he's going to be a 2nd line caliber player pretty soon

You also have to take into account that scoring has gone up for a few seasons in a row now, and Pinto spent a lot of time in the top 6 because of injuries. That will inflate his numbers a bit.

He's not a bad player by any means, but his skillset is more of an excellent 3rd liner who can fill in on 2nd for awhile and not hurt the team. Much like Pageau was for us.

Reactions: SENStastic

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
He lost it last year, along with Sanderson winning it
Ice time : Chabot + 3:03
PP time : Chabot + 1:46
OZ Starts : Chabot +16%

And Sandersons numbers in these areas took a big leap with Chabots injury.

By a wide margin Chabot was the number 1 LHD last year.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He lost it last year, along with Sanderson winning it
Idk, it will be interesting to see what DJ does, I suspect with more viable PP options we'll see Chabots icetime reduced, but who knows, we've been saying it needs to come down for a while now.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Idk, it will be interesting to see what DJ does, I suspect with more viable PP options we'll see Chabots icetime reduced, but who knows, we've been saying it needs to come down for a while now.
Don’t think there is a person in the organization that doesn’t see Sanderson as the #1 D moving forward.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Don’t think there is a person in the organization that doesn’t see Sanderson as the #1 D moving forward.
If thats the case then trading Chabot has to be a priority. Its hard to spend 8M on a second pairing D man.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If thats the case then trading Chabot has to be a priority. Its hard to spend 8M on a second pairing D man.
Labelling a guy a who will play 22/23+ minutes a night a 2nd pairing D because he’s on the 2nd pairing is idiotic, same way the Lightning view Sergachev as more than a 2nd pairing D seeing he plays 23+ minutes a night, makes 8.5, and is on their 2nd pairing.

Reactions: OD99 and Masked

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Labelling a guy a who will play 22/23+ minutes a night a 2nd pairing D because he’s on the 2nd pairing is idiotic, same way the Lightning view Sergachev as more than a 2nd pairingD seeing he plays 23+ minutes a night, makes 8.5, and is on their 2nd pairing.

If you want to give Sanderson top minutes, top PP time OZstarts, then it comes at the expense of someone, namely Chabot.

And Sergachev is their top RHD, its a poor example. Cernak is their number 2 at 4:30 less ice time a game. Perbix is almost 10 minuets less per game on the right hand side. They do move their RHD around situationally, but Sergachev definitely is their top RHD by a country mile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad