Confirmed with Link: Shanahan, Dubas, Keefe all staying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Yeah but they have won Cups in June since 1967. Presenter would have used a different joke if McDavid won the Hart.

Meh, the Leafs are the biggest team in the NHL - there will always be jokes because there's always people to hate on the biggest teams in every sport.

The jokes will always be there, but the goalposts are moving.

Remember, the jokes used to be the Leafs can't make the playoffs. Now they've changed it to win the Cup. When they win the Cup, it'll be 1 Cup since 67, 2 Cups since 67, 3 Cups since 67, etc.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Hey they threw the pissed off fans a bone to deflect the anger by signing Gio. Then they executed the goalie coach and the Russian scout. Truth is dumb and dumber were being kept no matter how the team did in the playoffs unless fans stormed SBC arena I guess.
LOL. You think they signed Gio to appease the fans?

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Hey they threw the pissed off fans a bone to deflect the anger by signing Gio. Then they executed the goalie coach and the Russian scout. Truth is dumb and dumber were being kept no matter how the team did in the playoffs unless fans stormed SBC arena I guess.
I don’t think they do anything for the fans………I don’t think they give a crap about the fans……..not a single one of them from Shanny on down to the players. It’s all about the money

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I don’t think they do anything for the fans………I don’t think they give a crap about the fans……..not a single one of them from Shanny on down to the players. It’s all about the money

As long as there is a sucker born every minute, yeah they probably don't care. They definitely like to deflect the noise after another first round loss. Last year they quickly resigned Spezza. Anybody that does not believe such moves are calculated, needs to get their head out of the sand.

I swear they pay people to defend them on this board. No normal Leaf fan will sit on this board morning, noon and night just to respond to every critical post.

Reactions: Trapper

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah, check out that window of opportunity during the past 7 years of Toews and Kane in Chicago.

There's a wonderful example of a team that didn't quite understand how to manage the cap, and literally the moment they started paying Toews and Kane elite money in 2015-16 their team started to fall apart and they never made it out of the first round again, with all the contracts they handed to guys to go all the way into their late 30s started costing them actual good players.

A stark contrast with the Leafs, who have only gotten better since they signed their guys to elite money and have nobody signed into their serious decline years.

• Haha
Reactions: Beneven Stanciano

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
As long as there is a sucker born every minute, yeah they probably don't care. They definitely like to deflect the noise after another first round loss. Last year they quickly resigned Spezza. Anybody that does not believe such moves are calculated, needs to get their head out of the sand.

I swear they pay people to defend them on this board. No normal Leaf fan will sit on this board morning, noon and night just to respond to every critical post.

I don't know one way or another but it would make sense for a wealthy organization to have a few seemingly unaffiliated individuals on social media to influence opinions. After all the people who would do it for free are not trustworthy to stay on message and do the requisite 180 turn the moment the message changes. It's been known that political party operatives and federal agents use social media to present messages, influence, befriend radicalized individuals, etc. Why not corporations as well?

There's a wonderful example of a team that didn't quite understand how to manage the cap, and literally the moment they started paying Toews and Kane elite money in 2015-16 their team started to fall apart and they never made it out of the first round again, with all the contracts they handed to guys to go all the way into their late 30s started costing them actual good players.

A stark contrast with the Leafs, who have only gotten better since they signed their guys to elite money and have nobody signed into their serious decline years.
Chicago was so dumb managing the cap they've only won a paltry 3 Stanley Cups during the first 10 years of their window of opportunity. Undoubtedly some of those Cup wins weren't even Expected Stanley Cup wins.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
10 points better after a roster overhaul (or a few) and ZERO playoff rounds. JT could fit the last part

Reactions: capfit9

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
They've got a good decade of window left.
10 years is a long time.
2 of 4 guys, the GM or coach might not even be here.
The team that wins could be very different.
In fact a team that doesn’t win for 6-7-8 years (or worse win a round) would have to be.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
10 years is a long time.
In fact a team that doesn’t win for 6-7-8 years (or worse win a round) would have to be.
There's expected wins though and we are the champs there.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Let's see how he feels July 1, 2023.
I'd rather know how he feels sometime before 11:59 PM on June 30th.
No one can say with confidence Matthews is staying or leaving.
I say it with 100% confidence. But I won't go 110%.
Why watch if you think they don't care at all?

Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Lol.. or maybe people are natural optimists and prefer to have a positive outlook on the team. If you want to complain and bitch about every little thing about the team go ahead no one is stopping you.

But not everyone HAS to feel that way. A lot of us on here don’t take shit so personally we can separate disappointment and reality. We don’t need to shit on players or staff everyday. It doesn’t make us any less of fans or care any less than you do.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Lol.. or maybe people are natural optimists and prefer to have a positive outlook on the team. If you want to complain and bitch about every little thing about the team go ahead no one is stopping you.

But not everyone HAS to feel that way. A lot of us on here don’t take shit so personally we can separate disappointment and reality. We don’t need to shit on players or staff everyday. It doesn’t make us any less of fans or care any less than you do.

Yup lots of people are optimists and God Bless them. The ones that constantly tell you the sky is not blue and water is not wet are the ones that I am talking about. I believe they have an agenda. Starts out entertaining and then quickly becomes tiresome.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago was so dumb managing the cap they've only won a paltry 3 Stanley Cups during the first 10 years of their window of opportunity. Undoubtedly some of those Cup wins weren't even Expected Stanley Cup wins.

Smart enough to have a GM that didn't waste his stars' ELC years like our GM did, that's true.

Not smart enough to ice an elite team when he had to pay his elite players elite caphits though, like our current GM does.

10 years is a long time.

As long as our current elite core is here, and as long as whoever our GM is smart enough to avoid killing our cap with anchor contracts, the window is wide open.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
They've got a good decade of window left.
Nylander is 26, Marner is 25 and Matthews 24. Where are you getting 10 years from. They already wasted last 3 with incompetence and have about 5 years left of optimal window. The end portion of your 10 year window are the big 3 old farts, not big 3.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Not smart enough to ice an elite team when he had to pay his elite players elite caphits though, like our current GM does.

normal.png

Matthews-and-Marner.jpg

Same age here.

Yeah I think Chicago's GM did just fine...when the above pictures were taken they were already two Cups deep with 11 total playoff round round wins.

Toronto, not even a round.

"Not smart enough" :laugh:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ToneDog

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Smart enough to have a GM that didn't waste his stars' ELC years like our GM did, that's true.

As long as our current elite core is here, and as long as whoever our GM is smart enough to avoid killing our cap with anchor contracts, the window is wide open.
Don’t care about elite (many posters here seem to need that word), just a team that can win in the playoffs. Because if it can’t, what is it?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Resigns Gio to an unbelievable AAV but hasn't talked to either Soup. The timing is impeccable.
Not to mention suspiciously a week after he says he wants to play on a team that can win the Cup.
How about a round?

normal.png

Matthews-and-Marner.jpg

Same age here.

Yeah I think Chicago's GM did just fine...when the above pictures were taken they were already two Cups deep with 11 total playoff round round wins.

Toronto, not even a round.

"Not smart enough" :laugh:
Imagine paying everyone the dollars after actually winning the Cups. Blasphemy.

Reactions: ToneDog

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021

They won two cups post ELC. Must be nice to have a GM that doesn't ruin the cheap RFA years.

Additionally the only person who wasted ELC years was Dubas when he decided to light a year on fire to play games with Willy.

Dude wasted the most valuable ELC year ( the last one). Then signed them all to outrageous Numbers.

Going to be great when they get a combined 7/10 million dollar raise two years earlier then mcdavid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad