Player Discussion Shaming the Refs - Non-calls on McDavid Compilation Thread

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
I guess the league today would give a 2-game season suspension to Selanne for the "shooting his thrown glove" celebration. It's both a thrown glove *and* a "threatening gesture", or whatever other made-up rationale they'll come up with next.
"We've fined Selanne $5,000( the max allowable under the CBA) for unsportsmanlike conduct against his glove."

illegalsmile

Nov 27, 2021
Behind you!
These non-calls against McDavid are ridiculous... Thank f*** the guy isn't a whiny little :eek::eek::eek::eek:, like some... Not mentioning any names, [Cough!] Crosby [Cough!] Honestly though, I think a lot of the penalties committed against him, are what inspire him to pull off those 1 on 3/1 on 4 goals, as well as a lot of the other piece's of brilliance we see from him, on the reg. McDavid has the right level of "Old-Time Hockey" attitude, you'll often see him lose his temper, but rarely does it inspire him to go out onto the ice and do something stupid, that's detrimental to the team's game. Amazing? Yes, often! Stupid? Rarely, if ever!

The terrible refereeing has gone beyond a joke, generally, throughout the league, though... Haha! We just tend to notice the McDavid stuff far more, because WE KNOW THE NHL HATE ONE OF THEIR LARGEST CASH-COWS, CERTAINLY IN CANADA, AND WANT TO SEE HIM INJURED - POSSIBLY DEAD -, THEREFORE LOSING THE LEAGUE REVENUE... Sorry, I mean't, because we tend to focus more on McDavid. I mean, just for the sake of balance, I've seen Drai punch a guy off a face-off and it get completely missed by the ref's and Linesmen. It goes to highlight, just how bad the refereeing is, don't get me wrong, I'm glad Drai got away with things like that, but it just goes to show what can be missed, when it's right there in front of you.

Edit: So, I guess calling someone a "whiny C U Next Tuesday," isn't acceptable... Even when it's factual! :(

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
From EF 32 Thoughts:

10. Rod Brind’Amour was fined $25,000 on Tuesday for inappropriate conduct during Sunday’s 4-2 loss to Washington. He was furious at a late-game slashing call on Sebastian Aho, but I didn’t think his reaction was anything crazy, and all he said post-game was, “It’s a tough way to end a game. It was a great game, great hockey game. What are you going to do?”
The explanation comes from an Oct. 18 memo sent to GMs and coaches indicating the league had “already seen several instances of head coaches making unacceptable public comments critical of officiating and video replay decisions, as well as unprofessional conduct on the bench in response to penalty calls, non-calls and even icing calls. All General Managers and coaches are hereby put on notice that, effective immediately, all such public comments and demeaning displays that are critical of officiating, video replay and supplemental discipline specifically, and, more generally the League and the game, will result in an automatic fine of not less than $25,000. Any subsequent violations during the 2021-22 Regular Season and Stanley Cup Playoffs will result in a doubling of the fine.”
That served as an industry-wide warning, with the advice that “if you do not like a call or a non-call, a video replay decision that did not go your team’s way or a supplemental discipline decision, you are free to say that you ‘saw it a different way’ or that you ‘disagree with the decision.’” Again, I didn’t think this was too bad, but Brind’Amour was fined during the 2020 bubble playoffs for officiating criticism. So there’s some history. Maybe the league doesn’t like jacked coaches.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
From EF 32 Thoughts:

10. Rod Brind’Amour was fined $25,000 on Tuesday for inappropriate conduct during Sunday’s 4-2 loss to Washington. He was furious at a late-game slashing call on Sebastian Aho, but I didn’t think his reaction was anything crazy, and all he said post-game was, “It’s a tough way to end a game. It was a great game, great hockey game. What are you going to do?”
The explanation comes from an Oct. 18 memo sent to GMs and coaches indicating the league had “already seen several instances of head coaches making unacceptable public comments critical of officiating and video replay decisions, as well as unprofessional conduct on the bench in response to penalty calls, non-calls and even icing calls. All General Managers and coaches are hereby put on notice that, effective immediately, all such public comments and demeaning displays that are critical of officiating, video replay and supplemental discipline specifically, and, more generally the League and the game, will result in an automatic fine of not less than $25,000. Any subsequent violations during the 2021-22 Regular Season and Stanley Cup Playoffs will result in a doubling of the fine.”
That served as an industry-wide warning, with the advice that “if you do not like a call or a non-call, a video replay decision that did not go your team’s way or a supplemental discipline decision, you are free to say that you ‘saw it a different way’ or that you ‘disagree with the decision.’” Again, I didn’t think this was too bad, but Brind’Amour was fined during the 2020 bubble playoffs for officiating criticism. So there’s some history. Maybe the league doesn’t like jacked coaches.

a87dd892582206c01674af8cb80008c9a5a46550.gif

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
From EF 32 Thoughts:

this is very specific to general managers and coaches...... time for President or Hockey Ops to speak out instead

Thomas Tatar

From EF 32 Thoughts:

so typical of the League. “If you don’t like that we are clearly biased in our officiating, we will punish you for trying to get us to call a fair game.”

Instead of trying to be better they just threaten those who call out their shit.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
so typical of the League. “If you don’t like that we are clearly biased in our officiating, we will punish you for trying to get us to call a fair game.”

Instead of trying to be better they just threaten those who call out their shit.

At the very, very, very minimum it would be nice if Bettman said something as benign as: "Our game it fast and it has changed a lot over the past several seasons. Our officiating standards haven't quite caught up yet despite this being a quality group of officials. We're reviewing how our games are called and working to re-align our officiating standard with today's style of play."

Instead all we get is "tHesE ArE thE BEsT offIcIaLS iN thE wORLd, tHE gaME Is faST!"

It's insulting to fans and stakeholder's intelligence.

Thomas Tatar

At the very, very, very minimum it would be nice if Bettman said something as benign as: "Our game it fast and it has changed a lot over the past several seasons. Our officiating standards haven't quite caught up yet despite this being a quality group of officials. We're reviewing how our games are called and working to re-align our officiating standard with today's style of play."

Instead all we get is "tHesE ArE thE BEsT offIcIaLS iN thE wORLd, tHE gaME Is faST!"

It's insulting to fans and stakeholder's intelligence.

and “like don’t question us or else you’ll pay!”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad