Player Discussion Shaming the Refs - Non-calls on McDavid Compilation Thread

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
For lurking fans, we are NOT asking for special treatment for Connor. Just call the f***ing rule book the same as you do for every other player in this f***ing league.

The fact that he has the puck more than almost anyone and gets mauled all game means he should get more calls if they just call the actual game by the rules. Saying “welp, can’t call everything because then the Oilers would be on the PP all game” is some big brain stupid shit. We saw after the ‘05 lockout that if the refs actually call the rule book players will adapt.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
Can you imagine getting up to 500 PP's like the year we went to the finals. No team had less than 400 that year. Edmonton had 485. The top team had 541 (LA Kings).

With all of these PP,s the best PP producer was Kovy I think with 56 points.

McDrai could do that with the 200-300 PP we get now lol

Ryan out tonight with some symptoms and the clowns did not even call this:

That missed call leading to their goal almost got me a new tv………after my remote almost got hurled at the tv

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
So let me get this straight, obvious high stick missed on McLeod while the ref is watching, next shift the Oilers get a penalty for high sticking. Draisaitl gets cross checked by Lindell, then gets called for cross-checking on the same shift… yeah nice troll job refs.
The team with all the interference and stick infractions has 5 power plays, the team that committed like 2 has 1 power play. Gary Bettman's league working as intended. Sunbelt teams are the absolute f***ing worst.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
NHL network had 3 segments talking about the Oilers lethal PP. 2 of the segments preceded the Dallas and the Boston games respectively. Games where the Refs screwed us by ignoring obvious calls. You’d think the NHL wouldn’t want their own network hyping up things that aren’t going to happen. Can see all 3 segments here:

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
How that pile drive into the post after McDavid's first goal last night wasn't called is simply beyond me.

No one seems to be talking about the two hand slash at his hands just prior to the shove into the post as well. That guy needed to get blown up by someone. Although I wasn't in the GDT during the game, couldn't start watching until after 9

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I wonder if our shaming tactics are working. There have been a couple more calls per game lately drawn by our stars. When this thread was made it was just nuts. It's still not great but imo the weight of all the internet criticism has had an effect

But still another main issue is the style of reffing. With most teams, a PP rich night is something like 7 PPs. It seems like that isnt even on the table for us. It's like 0-2 usually and a crazy night might be 4. I know our lethal PP means refs would prefer to call a "playoff style" game but that isnt fair imo. I get that there are different styles of reffing but at this point it should be random if you arent going to make it the same every night for everyone

Edit: and I really doubt it's that teams are just so much cleaner against us. I'm watching most of the games.

Last edited:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I wonder if our shaming tactics are working. There have been a couple more calls per game lately drawn by our stars. When this thread was made it was just nuts. It's still not great but imo the weight of all the internet criticism has had an effect

But still another main issue is the style of reffing. With most teams, a PP rich night is something like 7 PPs. It seems like that isnt even on the table for us. It's like 0-2 usually and a crazy night might be 4. I know our lethal PP means refs would prefer to call a "playoff style" game but that isnt fair imo. I get that there are different styles of reffing but at this point it should be random if you arent going to make it the same every night for everyone

Edit: and I really doubt it's that teams are just so much cleaner against us. I'm watching most of the games.

It doesn't seem like it I know, but we are actually in the top-third for PP/GP (we are 7th right now). The issue is that PPs are really down across the league in general, so even though we are getting more compared to lots of teams, *everybody* should be getting a lot more in general.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
It doesn't seem like it I know, but we are actually in the top-third for PP/GP (we are 7th right now). The issue is that PPs are really down across the league in general, so even though we are getting more compared to lots of teams, *everybody* should be getting a lot more in general.

This is really interesting to know. I wonder if it's because of a talent of reffing talent. It seems like there's fewer and fewer options so maybe the NHL is struggling to recruit quality refs too?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Yeah, this was brought to my attention a couple days ago. They are in the top third now but the margin between 7th and 20th is basically 3 powerplays. Even take out that lame window dressing penalty with 20 seconds against Dallas Tuesday, and Edmonton drops to 12th.

As such, it suggests to me the league is really trying to give everyone equal opportunity at PPs regardless of the attributes of their games, but in a very limited number. League wide PP efficiency is at a high point, so perhaps this is their way of keeping scoring in check.

Of note, since the Boston game in general Edmonton is drawing more (3.57/game vs. 2.83/game), so maybe the message is getting out there. Granted, more penalties are also being called against them over the same stretch (3.86 vs 2.83)

Last edited:

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Yeah, this was brought to my attention a couple days ago. They are in the top third now but the margin between 7th and 20th is basically 3 powerplays. Even take out that lame window dressing penalty with 20 seconds against Dallas Tuesday, and Edmonton drops to 12th.

As such, it suggests to me the league is really trying to give everyone equal opportunity at PPs regardless of the attributes of their games, but in a very limited number. League wide PP efficiency is at a high point, so perhaps this is their way of keeping scoring in check.

Of note, since the Boston game in general Edmonton is drawing more (3.57/game vs. 2.83/game), so maybe the message is getting out there. Granted, more penalties are also being called against them over the same stretch (3.86 vs 2.83)

Assuming they're not phantom calls, I'll take more legitimate penalties being called any day, even if the refs are still trying to balance things. Stop making it okay to interfere and attempt to injure the best players in the league

Reactions: oilers'72 and bone

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
How that pile drive into the post after McDavid's first goal last night wasn't called is simply beyond me.
Tips mentioned that not only was it the drive into the post, it was slash preceding it. He classified it as a “dangerous” play but stopped short of calling the officials out on it, but we know we was thinking it.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Assuming they're not phantom calls, I'll take more legitimate penalties being called any day, even if the refs are still trying to balance things. Stop making it okay to interfere and attempt to injure the best players in the league

Yeah. Ultimately, I just want to see real calls called either way.

An example the other way was after complaining about the Boston game, the refs totally jobbed Buffalo giving Edmonton 6PPs that likely weren't fully warranted. I don't want them to make up the average by slanting it Edmonton's way every ten games or so, just call the penalties that should be and go from there. Violent/dangerous ones should be called all the time as should ones that kill or create a scoring chance. I don't care about the behind the play mix ups with interference that happen with McDavid often.

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
That missed call leading to their goal almost got me a new tv………after my remote almost got hurled at the tv
I just....i just don't understand how you don't call that...Like the one against Shore in the corner earlier in the year...How? How can a ref sit there and not call that shit? It's infuriating because it's ruining the game i've loved my entire life. Why would i spend hundreds of dollars to go watch that shit when i KNOW it could be better and people are getting paid to do their job incorrectly ON PURPOSE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad