Shadow of the Colossus Remaster

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Who else is playing this? I managed to never play the original or the PS3 remake.

I’ve defeated six colossi so far, and I’m absolutely blown away. I honestly can’t think of a single aspect that I haven’t enjoyed.

The soundtrack, especially, is out of this world.

Reactions: X66

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Yeah I was skeptical of the game at first but the visuals looks stunning and apparently there's more bosses

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
One of my favorite games of all time. Apparently some people dislike the camera and controls, but I didn't have issues with them.

The remaster has updated controls for those people anyway, although it lets you switch to the classic style as well if you want.

Reactions: X66

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think it's one of those games that isn't necessarily for everyone. I can imagine complaints about the world being barren and there not being a lot of things available to do, but personally, all of those were strengths for me. It's a very restrained, minimalist/artistic experience with a fantastic sense of scale, mood, and art direction, and a simple and understated but perfectly revealed narrative that is most effectively communicated through game-play (unlike other game narratives that just alternate between unrelated game and movie footage, which kind of annoys me). Every moment is just damn satisfying, without any unnecessary fat.

I've always wanted games to be more like this and less like the way that they tend to be, what with their massive online, open world, ultra-customizable, addictive, achievement-unlocking, crafting and foraging, real world economy, twisty-turny, choose your adventure whatever.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The few criticisms that I have (only relative to how perfect the original is, though) are that the world was made a bit too lush, green, and vibrant when it's supposed to be decrepit, desolate, and de-saturated-- it looks beautiful, but doesn't convey the mood nearly as well, Wander's face looks really half-***ed and lame compared to the original version of him (which looked convincingly pale, skinny, lanky, and sickly, as if he wasn't built for this kind of thing and went through hell just to get to that point), and
the physical change he undergoes as he defeats more and more colossi, which is pivot-ally important to the story is so un-pronounced that it almost feels like they didn't even bother to do it.
I would have preferred if Wander had the animation style of the kid from Trico and injected more character into his facial features (the original seemed to have the art style of traditional Japanese paintings) instead of this smooth, doll-like, generic 3D warrior face, personally.

maxresdefault.jpg

The PS4 version is significantly more visually and technically impressive no doubt, and without knowledge of the originals, it still holds together fantastically, but the PS3 version might still be the more fully realized and pure version of the game's vision. We should be grateful that they did as well with it as they did, though-- Remakes can be a disaster.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad