Euro: SF: Italy v Spain, 7/6/2021

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Italy deff earned their win against Belgium. Belgium came very close to leveling the game in the 2nd half. Italy has bent but have not broke so far this Euro Cup. The game against Austria was a close one. Just when we were up 2-0 Austria than made it a close game with the late goal. Mancini has this team playing excellent football. I'm not expecting the wins to be like the group stage where Italy outclassed their group. The competition is getting bigger every match. Just gotta win 1 more game.

That was Italy's first goal allowed in what, ten games? Nifty little header, too.

I wouldn't say the "floodgates have opened" since then, or anything, but they haven't had a clean sheet in either of the games since then either, after blanking their way through the round robin.

Regardless of who wins today I like Italy's chances to put forward another solid game in the finals. Hopefully they don't need to go to extra time for it.

Reactions: PizzaAndPucks

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah, Spain kind of reversed the tables that game - they went with the high press that Italy has been running the entire tournament. Italy didn't have a solution, and I don't know why, yesterday in particular, our play in the middle of the field was abysmal. There was such little support from Verratti and Jorginho for our defensive line on both sides of the ball. We kept trying to pass over the middle of the pitch instead. I hope that England isn't able to exploit this because it resulted in so many lost possessions.

...it's cause Spain were really good at pressing in the midfield...

Last edited:
Reactions: luiginb

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
...it's cause Spain were really good at pressing in the midfield...

the Italian midfield went into difficulty because we were one man short, this is because Spain played with the double play and with the false nueve. The first midfielder to bring the pressure on one of the two plays has always run in vain. The dangers came because because of this they were able (and were very good) often and willingly to play between the line of the Italian defenders and that of the Italian midfielders. It is no coincidence that by the 60th minute both Barella and Verratti were gassed.

Reactions: gary69 and cgf

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
After re-watching that game, Italy should feel fortunate they won, because it seems to me that Spain controlled a lot of it. Sure, they had some useless possession like Spain always does, but they controlled a larger portion of the game than Italy did.

I agree with the poster(s) that suggested that Spain lacked killer instinct. They could have put Italy away and they didn't.

Tempus fugit. It seems like yesterday to me. f***.

That's because we're old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad