Severson traded to Columbus

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I feel so sorry for Sievs ...... NÒT.....he's a multi millionaire 👍

I don’t think Severson reads these boards so his feelings aren’t the problem. (Also people aren’t being dickish about Severson here?) I saw that post as being bitchy about Columbus.

I guess the hurt posts by bummed Blue Jackets fans moved me, what can I say, I’m a softie.

I also don’t assume Columbus will be terrible forever because that’s doesn’t make much sense.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Jackets fan here would like to ask a couple questions about Severson's PPQB skills based on this year and a half old tape...

In general, is this what his normal level of contribution has been in the past two seasons? Is he better or worse in some respects than what we see on this particular PP?

Has he ever had a right-handed shot on his left flank to pass the puck for a onetimer? Is he good at faking his shot and passing it to his side? Is he good at one-touch plays? Does he usually get shots through from the point? Does he ever struggle at keeping pucks in the zone?

Any insight from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
What are you apologizing for? Wednesday I walked out of a music store at 12pm and almost was choked out, brutal! never once thought of blaming Canada 🇨🇦 though👍
Forest fires are very nasty this year in Canada. We had a very dry winter across most of Canada and this created a dry forest. In my area, we had a nasty hurricane in September and it flattened lots of forest which is still down. I envision lost of nasty fires in my small province. We have 2 going now

Dylan9z9

May 16, 2012
Rockaway, NJ
Forest fires are very nasty this year in Canada. We had a very dry winter across most of Canada and this created a dry forest. In my area, we had a nasty hurricane in September and it flattened lots of forest which is still down. I envision lost of nasty fires in my small province. We have 2 going now
Lots of Natural disasters going on not much we can do about it except carry on .... hang in there 👍

Reactions: Dialamo

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Jackets fan here would like to ask a couple questions about Severson's PPQB skills based on this year and a half old tape...

In general, is this what his normal level of contribution has been in the past two seasons? Is he better or worse in some respects than what we see on this particular PP?

Has he ever had a right-handed shot on his left flank to pass the puck for a onetimer? Is he good at faking his shot and passing it to his side? Is he good at one-touch plays? Does he usually get shots through from the point? Does he ever struggle at keeping pucks in the zone?

Tough to answer these with any measure of confidence - I'd say not really, about the Laine-like player on his right, the best he's had was Kyle Palmieri and I don't think he played that often with Kyle Palmieri on the PP, and that was ages ago. NST is telling me they played together for 300 minutes over the 6 years they were teammates which is actually quite a lot, but also Palmieri moved around the PP a fair amount in that time. I think his shot faking is fine, probably not that great at one-touch plays, yes he gets his shot through from the point - his major issue on the power play, at least to me, was shooting too often and not waiting for his teammates to get in front. This seemingly changed this season, as he posted a career-low PP shot rate. He's okay on the power play but he will sometimes be quite frustrating with his shot choices - I imagine that can change because he hasn't had that big one-timer pass option really.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

I've never really thought of Severson as a good powerplay QB. Which is odd because I think he has the qualities of a good one just never really popped out in that role for some reason. Maybe if he's just feeding Laine it could work, the Devils never really had that kind of scoring threat with Sevo.

Dylan9z9

May 16, 2012
Rockaway, NJ

I'm thinking he is good on the PP getting his shot through also has a good shot one negative is he does get beat a lot for the shorty ... all in all you got a solid defenseman maybe paid a little too much but hey good defenseman demand a premium.

Reactions: tunnelvision

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Uh, he’s kind of not all that good on the power play. His passing super power is sick break out passes, not stuff in tight.

He also has some nightmare moments where opposing players pick off his passes and are off to the races the other way. Severson’s occasional carelessness with the puck is definitely his biggest flaw.

His accuracy is good but he doesn’t get nearly enough shots off to rack up goals on the PP.

He’s a workable choice for a PP2 unit though and I assume Jirecek is going to be on your PP1 unit very soon anyway.

I like Severson a lot more on the PK than PP.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Columbus is a very livable city for an NHL town and I’d think Damon would be happy to play there. There are good suburban neighborhoods to live maybe a 15 to 20 minute drive from Nationwide and on local streets and not interstates (areas around the Franklin Park Conservatory, little traffic if you go that direction), access to and from the airport is amazingly good and easy, again 20 minutes half an hour), no air traffic in the charter flights, good central geographic location so travel time in the air is better. Not sure what his family situation is but there, we’ve got his life well planned for him.

And the team may be a lot more competitive sooner than we think. Severson should be effective in a fluid attack with Laine, Werenski, Johnny Hockey, Jenner etc.

And 50 million dollars is sweet.
Most younger guys live in walking distance to the arena. Players with families seem to live in Upper Arlington or New Albany. 30 minutes at most to the arena downtown. It sounds like Severson is looking to find a good place for a family and we definitely have nice places for that. It seems like players who are ready to settle down in life and don't want the big time city life really like it here.

I'm not sure where many of the players for the Devils live but having been to a few games at the Rock I certainly know the lifestyle of NJ is different. Even if you can get away from the Newark/Manhattan area a bit.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Your two PP guys will be Jiricek (who will be one of the best in the league) and Boqvist (who should get pp2 to fill in his minutes).

Severson has the elite passing talent/vision to work on the PP and can get shots through so in a sense he would be good. Its just that he doesn't have the dangerous shot like Hamilton has nor does he have the game breaking skating that someone like Makar or Q. Hughes has. Those guys demand a defender to play high to cover them.
Its more efficient to have him play extra minutes 5on5 and on the PK where he plays his best. He'll be perfectly fine as injury fill in when those guys are unavailable though.

As for production - Hamilton got injured midway through the 21-22 season and Severson took over and racked up a decent amount of points in that role. Hamilton was back last year and took back the role so Severson didn't get much good pp opportunities. Note that Hamilton was 4th in league scoring for D so he is losing the role to one of the best around.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
The team certainly has historically been crap and very could continue but I'd love to know why we deserve to be crap.

I've followed the Devils since before we had a team here in Columbus. The Devils have had some crap years too so what makes a team deserve to suck? I thoroughly enjoyed the Devils success this year and enjoyed attending the Hurricanes game on New Year's Day even though it ended up a loss.

Gaudreau, Provorov, and Babcock. I dislike all of them to varying degrees. I will readily admit that some of that is sour grapes or irrational, but still.

And maybe it is unfair to wish the rest of the team to be crap too, but this is a team sport. Sometimes one bad apple does spoil the bunch, and your management is doing you no favors in that regard.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

In general, Severson was PP2 and PK2. When Hamilton broke his jaw in 2021-22, Severson inherited PP1 time and kept that for awhile after Hamilton came back. I vaguely recall Severson and Hamilton sharing time on PP1 down the stretch that season although that might have been due to injuries up front.

Back in 2018-19, Will Butcher was still PP1 QB and it was Severson/Vatanen on PP2. Severson was on his one time side in the clip above with Vatanen being the QB.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
In general, Severson was PP2 and PK2. When Hamilton broke his jaw in 2021-22, Severson inherited PP1 time and kept that for awhile after Hamilton came back. I vaguely recall Severson and Hamilton sharing time on PP1 down the stretch that season although that might have been due to injuries up front.

Back in 2018-19, Will Butcher was still PP1 QB and it was Severson/Vatanen on PP2. Severson was on his one time side in the clip above with Vatanen being the QB.

oh man did butcher piss me off shitting the bed nightly when he finally got in to the lineup in february of '21....those 23 game were an absolute nightmare defensively. i couldn't wait for him to be off the team

• Haha
Reactions: OmNomNom

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Severson was on the PK1 for 3 years, after first getting on the PK full time in 2018-19.

He replaced Lovejoy on Greene pairing in 2019-20. The results were excellent.

He PKed with Murray & Subban in 2020-21. The results were bad but our PK was trash fire all around, as was the goaltending.

Severson was an absolute horse on PK in 2021-22, he led the team in minutes, splitting his time with Siegenthaler and Graves. Excellent results.

Lost his spot in the main rotation to Marino this season and the Graves/Marino pair got played a ton when they got rolling. His numbers were better than Smith’s, he’s should be a helpful add to Columbus’ PK.

With the PP:
Sami “They call Mr Glass” Vatanen played 4 games after January in 2018-19, so Severson was definitely on PP1 at the of the season. Butcher and, uh, Connor Carrick got PP2.

Lovejoy was traded at the end of 2018-19, that’s when Severson got bumped up to PK1 too.

Like the season itself, the 2019-20 PP was an ugly mess. It started off as Subban (PP1) & Butcher (PP2), until Vatanen showed up. He bumped Butcher off and quickly got moved into PP1.

Severson got back in there early on when Vats got injured and we started playing two defenseman on the PP2. Severson was on the PP1 for the last ~30 games that season, even before Vats left.

2020-21 turned into the Ty Smith Show most of the season and then Butcher had that last hurrah at the end, Severson never got on the PP1 much at all that year.

As you said, in 2021-22 Severson got the PP1 after Hamilton was injured. Smith obviously did do much while Dougie was out.

2019-20
2C7890BE-0AF5-4771-990C-8C5A43150728.png

8616E728-5A10-4587-9468-52A63B412EA1.png

0F58339E-0941-4FA2-B805-B5558233BDA9.png

2020-21
56359701-EF5B-4CAD-9C71-4313B496FD92.png
02D850A0-39D1-4552-91A0-E391B8D663D5.png
B17BA44D-124A-42E3-B551-A26309571210.png

2021-22
DE6D33F7-0C15-4992-9478-7FE9ADC8F97B.png
7645ECCE-5DCA-4067-8C22-CF267A469FDC.png
9D345BE2-2D81-49B8-9C95-722BD1AE2CC2.png

2022-23
14DB92C8-A63A-4F6D-B813-E85EEB06BB22.png
C5E7B3DE-A0AF-4F85-BA4B-3A9557DA1FD0.png
C387212E-8343-45B9-9454-97F38459B24C.png

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Severson was on the PK1 for 3 years, after first getting on the PK full time in 2018-19.

He replaced Lovejoy on Greene pairing in 2019-20. The results were excellent.

He PKed with Murray & Subban in 2020-21. The results were bad but our PK was trash fire all around, as was the goaltending.

Severson was an absolute horse on PK in 2021-22, he led the team in minutes, splitting his time with Siegenthaler and Graves. Excellent results.

Lost his spot in the main rotation to Marino this season and the Graves/Marino pair got played a ton when they got rolling. His numbers were better than Smith’s, he’s should be a helpful add to Columbus’ PK.

With the PP:
Sami “They call Mr Glass” Vatanen played 4 games after January in 2018-19, so Severson was definitely on PP1 at the of the season. Butcher and, uh, Connor Carrick got PP2.

Lovejoy was traded at the end of 2018-19, that’s when Severson got bumped up to PK1 too.

Like the season itself, the 2019-20 PP was an ugly mess. It started off as Subban (PP1) & Butcher (PP2), until Vatanen showed up. He bumped Butcher off and quickly got moved into PP1.

Severson got back in there early on when Vats got injured and we started playing two defenseman on the PP2. Severson was on the PP1 for the last ~30 games that season, even before Vats left.

2020-21 turned into the Ty Smith Show most of the season and then Butcher had that last hurrah at the end, Severson never got on the PP1 much at all that year.

As you said, in 2021-22 Severson got the PP1 after Hamilton was injured. Smith obviously did do much while Dougie was out.

Nobody replaces Lovejoy and I’m devastated you’d even suggest that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad