Value of: Several players to Ottawa

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Wondering what the price and availability are for any of the following guys for next season:

Julien Gauthier, NYR
Zack MacEwen, VAN
Nic Roy, VGK
Nathan Bastian, NJD
Vince Dunn, STL (I think I already know this one as two 2nd's from other threads)

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Wondering what the price and availability are for any of the following guys for next season:

Julien Gauthier, NYR
Zack MacEwen, VAN
Nic Roy, VGK
Nathan Bastian, NJD
Vince Dunn, STL (I think I already know this one as two 2nd's from other threads)

No reason to give him up now. He's at league minimum and underperforming in his 2nd year. At the very least they need him at 4C next season.

Plus he's their only C with size.

Last edited:

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island

Julien Gauthier, NYR
Zack MacEwen, VAN
Nic Roy, VGK
Nathan Bastian, NJD

A 2nd, either this year or next, and I'd move Gauthier

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Julien Gauthier, NYR
Zack MacEwen, VAN
Nic Roy, VGK
Nathan Bastian, NJD

Disagree

I'd probably do this. I think Gauthier plays an interesting game.

We will make an extended effort to keep Gauthier.

Very much believe after
Kakko-Krav-Panarin
our next line should be
LaF-Chytil-Gauthier

a diamond in the rough, I concede, but still a diamond

----------

If we move Strome or Buchnevich before exp dr we can protect Gauthier.
Trade both and we can also save Blackwell.

This is feasible to the extent that yes, some degree of ability to trade will be limited by the exp dr.
However, after the season, a lot of deadwood will be gone from many teams, some by buyout but most by non-renewal or reup at dramatically reduced rates.

And, while we do not have surplus blue chips to spare including for a splurge trade, we do have enuf to man the roster.
This means we prefer draft picks and can take 2022 selections instead of 2021. This makes it easier for some trading partners and is better for us long term b'c 2021 is a weak draft.

Strome + Buch each get a 1st +
these returns are doable, not a huge package for elite 1C type, e.g.

but kudos to OP for a good eye on possible quality adds,

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Disagree

We will make an extended effort to keep Gauthier.

Very much believe after
Kakko-Krav-Panarin
our next line should be
LaF-Chytil-Gauthier

a diamond in the rough, I concede, but still a diamond

----------

If we move Strome or Buchnevich before exp dr we can protect Gauthier.
Trade both and we can also save Blackwell.

This is feasible to the extent that yes, some degree of ability to trade will be limited by the exp dr.
However, after the season, a lot of deadwood will be gone from many teams, some by buyout but most by non-renewal or reup at dramatically reduced rates.

And, while we do not have surplus blue chips to spare including for a splurge trade, we do have enuf to man the roster.
This means we prefer draft picks and can take 2022 selections instead of 2021. This makes it easier for some trading partners and is better for us long term b'c 2021 is a weak draft.

Strome + Buch each get a 1st +
these returns are doable, not a huge package for elite 1C type, e.g.

but kudos to OP for a good eye on possible quality adds,

Bern, no one is trading for players before the expansion draft, and if they do it won't be at significant cost because people don't want to have to use an extra expansion slot if necessary.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Ottawa is good with centre depth for the future unless a #1 is coming into the fold.
Only guy i can possibly see Ottawa acquiring from that list of players is Dunn, and even him, it’s unlikely since he’s a LD.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Ottawa is good with centre depth for the future unless a #1 is coming into the fold.
Only guy i can possibly see Ottawa acquiring from that list of players is Dunn, and even him, it’s unlikely since he’s a LD.

I don't think they'll target any of these players, especially Dunn.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Vegas needs their cheap productive center pieces(Roy) and Ottawa seems kind of set on that front with Pinto coming up.

Ottawa doesn't have an immediate need for an offensive PMD like Dunn based on what they have now and their current flow of LD prospects. RD it could be a different story.

The others I have no idea.. I'm assuming its for obvious reasons.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Nathan Bastian, NJD

I like Bastian, seems a bit of an obscure player for an Ottawa fan to be asking for, can I ask how he got on your radar?

as far as a trade, he might be the odd man out for protection if NJ goes Hischier, Bratt, Zacha, Wood, Kuokkanen, Sharangovich and McLeod. in that scenario, I probably let him go for a 2nd. If Ottawa can protect him, could be good for both sides. Problem is that Ottawa’s 2nd will be very early in the round, and I don’t think Nate is worth a low 30’s pick, so maybe a ‘B’ prospect instead.

If we’re talking after the expansion draft and Seattle has selected someone else, it’s very hard for me to say. I like his game, he’s one of the few NJ forwards that does a good job on the forecheck and can turn the puck over and sustain offensive pressure. If Ottawa offered their 2nd I’d probably have to take that just for value, but I’m not sure it would be a great trade for either team.

Gavin Ray

Jul 10, 2016
Mars
Not interested in any of those players. Dunn is interesting but we have Chabot, Brann and Mete who are puck movers on the left side. Need someone with skill but a lot more grit.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
If I was Ottawa I’d go after him. The talent is the. Quinn just refuses to give him a string of games back to back even when he plays well. I could see him being a solid 20 goal guy if he pans out. OTT should try him at killing Penalties. He’s got size and speed

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
I like Bastian, seems a bit of an obscure player for an Ottawa fan to be asking for, can I ask how he got on your radar?

as far as a trade, he might be the odd man out for protection if NJ goes Hischier, Bratt, Zacha, Wood, Kuokkanen, Sharangovich and McLeod. in that scenario, I probably let him go for a 2nd. If Ottawa can protect him, could be good for both sides. Problem is that Ottawa’s 2nd will be very early in the round, and I don’t think Nate is worth a low 30’s pick, so maybe a ‘B’ prospect instead.

If we’re talking after the expansion draft and Seattle has selected someone else, it’s very hard for me to say. I like his game, he’s one of the few NJ forwards that does a good job on the forecheck and can turn the puck over and sustain offensive pressure. If Ottawa offered their 2nd I’d probably have to take that just for value, but I’m not sure it would be a great trade for either team.

NJ took him one pick ahead of Ottawa's pick that year. Wanted them to get Bastian... kept an eye on him ever since.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
To the list of folks questioning my logic with this odd group of players: players I see running out of rope in the organization for various reasons are Brown and
Brannstrom. I'd prefer to see Dadonov and Tierney replaced, I just don't like the fit. And while Mete needs time to show what he'll be in sens land, I don't have high hopes based on everything habs fans told us when he was waived.

All that leaves me armchair GMing what young, established, cheaper to acquire players could fill some roster spots. All of these guys are in the NHL and none are guessing games as to whether they belong there.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Bern, no one is trading for players before the expansion draft, and if they do it won't be at significant cost because people don't want to have to use an extra expansion slot if necessary.

I could agree that may apply to most teams.
But do we not think that even 1 club will, after cutting wheat from the chaff, does not have F slots? More precisely, that team does not have even 1 F slot?

If there are multiple such teams, that = competition to bid more.

And in a worse case scenario, Rangers keep Gauthier and expose Blackwell.

So a handful of clubs and none of them will extort, combined w/GMJG not being stupid and getting greedy should result in us moving either or both or Buch/Strome

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia

Julien Gauthier, NYR
Zack MacEwen, VAN
Nic Roy, VGK
Nathan Bastian, NJD
How about Gauthier for Pinto, we can small add if necessary

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
But do we not think that even 1 club will, after cutting wheat from the chaff, does not have F slots? More precisely, that team does not have even 1 F slot?

So a handful of clubs and none of them will extort, combined w/GMJG not being stupid and getting greedy should result in us moving either or both or Buch/Strome

You might find a few takers for Strome or Buch pre expansion but you aren't getting a 1st+ back when the alternative is you're going to lose one of them for nothing. Teams would give you a take it or leave it offer, maybe a 2nd at best, probably something more like a 3rd tho

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
You might find a few takers for Strome or Buch pre expansion but you aren't getting a 1st+ back when the alternative is you're going to lose one of them for nothing. Teams would give you a take it or leave it offer, maybe a 2nd at best, probably something more like a 3rd tho
Yup, outside of some trades to meet ED criteria or hide people, it’ll be like frozen rosters until that’s past

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Yup, outside of some trades to meet ED criteria or hide people, it’ll be like frozen rosters until that’s past

I am willing to listen with an open mind, but post reassessment, I stand by what I said.
The counter argument is non sequitur.
It just doesn't add up.

Betw. day 1 after end of season and the exp dr, there is enough room for clubs to remove deadwood they would be doing anyway.
The Rangers' Smith will not be renewed; were that to happen at all it would certainly be nowhere near his current 4.35, but close to minimum.

Other clubs will similarly create roster space and cap room.

At that point, clubs can take on Strome or Buchnevich as a comfortable fit.

Multiple clubs able to bid, barring collusion, would = not overpay, but acceptable market ish offers of a 1st +.

The bold is why Rangers should be able to make such deals.

That said, I again emphasize my projection is IF Rangers backs are up vs the wall, they can expose Blackwell.
But a conditional 7th for a 4th, taking Howden + Rooney, and using the pick on Kinkaid, something like that is enuf of a successful bribe for the Kraken.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island

I do agree they should keep Gauthier and expose Blackwell considering hes a controlled asset vs Blackwell being around for only 1 year. I just don't see teams getting in bidding wars for one of our Forwards, I think one ends up moving at the draft if anything.

Reactions: bernmeister

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Ottawa should go after Adam Larsson this summer. Big defensive RD is exactly what we need. Play him with Chabot to clean up the mess. It's probably a pipe dream (he'll be too expensive) but he's what the Sens need.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I am willing to listen with an open mind, but post reassessment, I stand by what I said.
The counter argument is non sequitur.
It just doesn't add up.

Betw. day 1 after end of season and the exp dr, there is enough room for clubs to remove deadwood they would be doing anyway.
The Rangers' Smith will not be renewed; were that to happen at all it would certainly be nowhere near his current 4.35, but close to minimum.

Other clubs will similarly create roster space and cap room.

At that point, clubs can take on Strome or Buchnevich as a comfortable fit.

Multiple clubs able to bid, barring collusion, would = not overpay, but acceptable market ish offers of a 1st +.

The bold is why Rangers should be able to make such deals.

That said, I again emphasize my projection is IF Rangers backs are up vs the wall, they can expose Blackwell.
But a conditional 7th for a 4th, taking Howden + Rooney, and using the pick on Kinkaid, something like that is enuf of a successful bribe for the Kraken.

You see that there might be multiple teams that can add a forward, but you miss that there will also be multiple teams looking to move a forward so they don't lose them for nothing. It will be a buyers market leading into the expansion draft.

Also, a 4th and garbage players like Howden and Kinkaid won't stop the Kraken from taking players they actually want. The fact you are so willing to make that deal should inform you that they won't be. The most prevalent thing available to an expansion team will be garbage players and they will have lots of opportunity for middling picks when they trade off some of their picks that don't fit on their roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad