Seven Round Snake Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
salostyle said:
To NJ: Jozef Balej, PHI 2005 2nd round pick (32nd overall), NYR 2005 3rd round pick (67th overall).
To NYR: John Madden, NJ 2005 1st round pick (14th overall, Luc Bourdon), NJ 2005 3rd round pick (74th overall).

Good, smart trade for both teams. The Devils (Lowetide) add a top prospect, and two picks, while dumping Madden's salary. The Rangers (Balej's Dance) pick up Madden to replace Holik, which is an upgrade IMO, and add another solid prospect in Bourdon to go with Kopitar making the Rangers one of the big winners of the first round.

Good deal guys.

Ya hear that Lowetide? It was good dealing with you.

Yes I agree with you salostyle you basically summed up 4-5 PM's between the two of us in one paragraph. It took awhile to try and figure out how much salaries and the cap would affect a trade. Although this is nowhere near the level of NBA trades.

The great thing is, is the Rangers in real life may be able to pull something of this nature off too with 4 picks in the top two rounds and possibly even a high third rounder if they draw a top 5-10 pick on thursday.

I'm pretty happy my favorable draft positions with the Rangers still gives me two more second rounders after this deal.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
lol, I thought it was pretty fair. One of the problems with these is figuring out what the cap will do to a fairly simple trade. I figured Lou could just buy out Madden but he's a cheap bugger and that might be too close to admitting he'd made a mistake. I liked 3 players at this spot (Bourdon, Hanzal, Stoa) and all are likely to be gone by 32.

Having said that, I save some money to hopefully sign one of my ufa D, get a player who might help where we need it (RW).

Felt weird scouting NJD though. For a team that has won a lot they have nice depth in a lot of areas. I could actually see them adding just one D and going with Stevens, White, Hale, Martin, Matvichuk. How a team can lose Niedermayer and Rafalski and still have options is beyond me. Lou must have sold his soul to the devil.

Last edited:

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
balej is a good player, but i don't think he fits NJD's system. sure guys like elias and gomez are offensive players, but they are very good away from the puck and good positionally. i'm not sure if balej will develop into that type of player.

and NYR already has a pretty good 2nd line defensive center in bobby holik. he's still a pretty good player with a lot of contract left, so it's not a given he'll be bought out.

i don't think either side necessarily got ripped off, but i think the deal was a senseless one that'd likely only happen in a mock draft setting done by fans and not by real life GMs, especially ones in the same division....but not that there's anything wrong with it. it's a mock draft meant to be fun.

Last edited:

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
sirkraut_82 said:
balej is a good player, but i don't think he fits NJD's system. sure guys like elias and gomez are offensive players, but they are very good away from the puck and good positionally. i'm not sure if balej will develop into that type of player.

and NYR already has a pretty good 2nd line defensive center in bobby holik. he's still a pretty good player with a lot of contract left, so it's not a given he'll be bought out.

i don't think either side necessarily got ripped off, but i think the deal was a senseless one that'd likely only happen in a mock draft setting done by fans and not by real life GMs, especially ones in the same division....but not that there's anything wrong with it. it's a mock draft meant to be fun.

Speaking for the Rangers, theres a very good chance he'll be bought out. First, money is not a problem. Dolan would likely spend that money even though he would not be getting on-ice production for it, as Sather would explain to him what the flexibility of not having the contract would give. Not having an overpriced Holik means good things this year, next year, and years ensuing. Especially when there are younger free agents that could possibly be had; I think Sather would hate to pass up on those guys bc he didn't act now and get rid of the contract.

Swapping Madden for Holik to me is saving 3.2 mil on the same type of player. Plus one that busts his behind without the big mouth drama. If I were the Rangers and in this mock I am, I go into the season with these guys as my centers:

Michael Nylander
Jarkko Immonen
John Madden
Dominic Moore(Ryan Hollweg)

Now, thats a rebuilding team as those guys aren't the best options to have. They're all 6' feet under and none have wanted physical dimensions. But there's two top line playmakers-one already established in the NHL and one established(albeit a question mark) in Europe, an established checking forward, and a youngish 4th line two way player. Those guys wont win any star contests but for a team going thru rebuild phase I'd expect them to do fine.

I can't speak for Lowetide and the Devils, but if you take a step back they got rid of the second highest salary on their payroll without having to spend the money to buy him out. They just easily dumped 3.5 mil and didn't look back. They got back a good young player in Balej, dropped 18 spots, and upgraded their third 7 spots.

Good deal if you ask me.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Shane said:
Unless anyone has reason to object, if Columbus' time expires and Newsguyone has not made a selection, I will select for him goaltender Tuukka Rask.

With a guy like Leclaire in the system, I doubt the Jackets would reach for a goalie in the first round. They are better served looking at defense like a Ryan Parent or maybe a more offensive dman like Mikkelson.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
The Boston Bruins should still have their 2nd round pick this year. They traded their 04 and 06 2nd round picks to Washington, not 05.

http://www.bostonbruins.com/pressbox/pressreleases.asp?id=1177

BOSTON – For the second time in as many days, the Boston Bruins added a needed component to their line-up via trade, this time acquiring skilled center Michael Nylander from the Washington Capitals in exchange for the team’s second round pick in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.

On Wednesday, the Bruins acquired the top defensive prize of the trading deadline, Sergei Gonchar, also from Washington, in exchange for Shaone Morrisonn and Boston’s first and second round picks in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
Patty Ice XXX said:
With a guy like Leclaire in the system, I doubt the Jackets would reach for a goalie in the first round. They are better served looking at defense like a Ryan Parent or maybe a more offensive dman like Mikkelson.

Yeah, but Leclaire is about five years older than Rask, and should make the Jackets this year. He's about a step away from not being considered a prospect anymore, and after him, the Jackets have nothing in terms of goaltender prospects. Take into account the time it takes to develop a goaltender, and it would be a good time to restock at that position. I also happen to believe that Rask is the best pick available anyway.

What does everyone else think? Should Columbus select Rask or a defenseman like Parent or Mikkelson?

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Shane said:
Yeah, but Leclaire is about five years older than Rask, and should make the Jackets this year. He's about a step away from not being considered a prospect anymore, and after him, the Jackets have nothing in terms of goaltender prospects. Take into account the time it takes to develop a goaltender, and it would be a good time to restock at that position. I also happen to believe that Rask is the best pick available anyway.

What does everyone else think? Should Columbus select Rask or a defenseman like Parent or Mikkelson?

I was ready to say a dman, but the age factor of the goalies is interesting on CLB. I'd say there's definately no need for them to take a forward having Nash, Zherdev, Picard, Svitov, Pineault, Fritsche. The defense prospects could stand to be upgraded but really I dont think there is a huge difference between a guy like Parent/Mikkelson/Lee or a guy that could be had in the second(wont mention any names for the sake of secrecy lol). If CBJ went goalie Denis-Leclaire-Rask/Pavelec would each be five years apart. That's good spacing as Denis is in the NHL, Leclaire is in the AHL(for the present time and arguments sake), and Rask/Pavelec would be in their first developmental year after being drafted.

So I'd say Rask or Pavelec, just a matter of preference.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
sammy87 said:
The Boston Bruins should still have their 2nd round pick this year. They traded their 04 and 06 2nd round picks to Washington, not 05.

http://www.bostonbruins.com/pressbox/pressreleases.asp?id=1177

I looked into the matter, and you are indeed correct. Boston regains their second round pick. Also, the fourth rounder from Detroit to Washington in the Lang deal was an '06 pick as well, so I've reverted that pick back to Detroit. Sorry Washington GM, but they weren't really yours anyway.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
Balej's Dance said:
I was ready to say a dman, but the age factor of the goalies is interesting on CLB. I'd say there's definately no need for them to take a forward having Nash, Zherdev, Picard, Svitov, Pineault, Fritsche. The defense prospects could stand to be upgraded but really I dont think there is a huge difference between a guy like Parent/Mikkelson/Lee or a guy that could be had in the second(wont mention any names for the sake of secrecy lol). If CBJ went goalie Denis-Leclaire-Rask/Pavelec would each be five years apart. That's good spacing as Denis is in the NHL, Leclaire is in the AHL(for the present time and arguments sake), and Rask/Pavelec would be in their first developmental year after being drafted.

So I'd say Rask or Pavelec, just a matter of preference.

Thanks. Anyone else with thoughts on this? The sooner I hear from more people, the sooner the pick can be made, and the sooner the draft can progress. Don't hide from me. Your online status is green. ;)

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Just a quick question... has Newsguyone been notified that it's his pick? If he doesn't know he's up, we might just be wasting time for nothing.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Shane said:

I hear what you are saying but when has a team invested in two goalies in the first round within 4 years. Especially since you have to consider they still aren't using Leclaire yet (maybe this year). Right now, I'd say they be more willing to look to improve their goaltending in later rounds.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
Seachd said:
Just a quick question... has Newsguyone been notified that it's his pick? If he doesn't know he's up, we might just be wasting time for nothing.

I assume he was, but you'd have to ask SensGuy. A quick check of Newsguyone's profile says he hasn't posted in six days.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Patty Ice XXX said:
I hear what you are saying but when has a team invested in two goalies in the first round within 4 years. Especially since you have to consider they still aren't using Leclaire yet (maybe this year). Right now, I'd say they be more willing to look to improve their goaltending in later rounds.

Rangers lol, although some may claim circumstances forced them to. They say they went BPA with Montoya and would have taken him regardless of Blackburn's situation. who knows

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
Alright, the Columbus Blue Jackets select defenseman Ryan Parent of the Guelph Storm.

I still would have liked Rask at this spot, but the Jackets need for a goaltender is debateable, but their need for a defenseman isn't. I think everyone should be satisifed with this pick.

Last edited:

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Balej's Dance said:
Rangers lol, although some may claim circumstances forced them to. They say they went BPA with Montoya and would have taken him regardless of Blackburn's situation. who knows

I don't buy what the Rangers where saying. They knew better than anyone else that Blackburn's shoulder had gone lameduck and that his NHL future was in serious doubt. A healthy Blackburn let's not even think twice about Montoya especially at 6.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Shane said:
:biglaugh:

Alright, the Columbus Blue Jackets select defenseman Ryan Parent of the Guelph Storm.

I still would have liked Rask at this spot, but the Jackets need for a goaltender is debateable, but their need for a defenseman isn't. I think everyone should be satisifed with this pick.

As a Jacket fan, I thank you. No doubt, Rask is a talent but he can fall anywhere from 10 to 30 depending on how bad a team needs a goaltending prospect. I just don't think the Jackets would take him there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad