Confirmed with Link: Seth Jones traded for Ryan Johansen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Thinking that he would go to his hometown team is a legitimate thing to consider. I don't believe he will, but it's possible. It would have more to do with what Vancouver would be willing to do to pry him away more than anything else. If he were to be in a situation where he could leave, sure Vancouver could be at the top of his list but it doesn't mean anything.

Although it's ironic that we're dismissing this yet are all in panic that Vesey will leave us to sign with a team like, oh I don't know, his hometown Bruins. So I guess it means something.....

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Joey can't sign a one year contract unless Poile offers him one. Which he isn't going to do.

Well.... yes Poile will. It's called a qualifying offer, which if RyJo wants to bolt he will sign when offered and play however long he can until Poile trades him. But I just don't see it. Too much risk of injury or bad play. Would be colossal stupidity to leave 8x8 on the table and then get a career ending concussion or blow a knee

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Thinking that he would go to his hometown team is a legitimate thing to consider. I don't believe he will, but it's possible. It would have more to do with what Vancouver would be willing to do to pry him away more than anything else. If he were to be in a situation where he could leave, sure Vancouver could be at the top of his list but it doesn't mean anything.

Although it's ironic that we're dismissing this yet are all in panic that Vesey will leave us to sign with a team like, oh I don't know, his hometown Bruins. So I guess it means something.....

Not to mention the post-Sedin Canucks are not going to be world beaters, even with a Ryan Johansen. He'd have to really love his hometown to leave a perennial playoff team to play for them.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
The number 1 dream of every NHL player is not winning the Stanley Cup. That was when they were all Canadians and had to work as milkmen or garbage collectors in the off season to support their families. Now there are many Americans and numerous Europeans(who didn't knows what the Stanley Cup was until they got here). Everybody playing hockey in the NHL has one principal goal; the big contract. After that its location. Finally, it's the Cup. Europeans don't leave Europe to play in the NHL, the greatest hockey league in the world, but for the big bucks. There's a lot about European hockey that's more favorable than the NHL, just not the money.

I'm calling BS. Tell that to Kimmo or to Ray Bourque. Tell it to Dave Andreychuk.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Well, you're forgetting one thing. In Europe, there's no Toronto.

Yet who did Toews hand the Cup off to first after winning last year? You don't think Kimmo wanted to go to a team with a chance at winning the Cup in his last year?

Why does any player come over from the other side of the Atlantic? To play in the best league, with the best players to play for the Cup. If that's the case, why do American born players care about winning it?

There are guys like Radulov who want to be the big fish in the small pond and make a ton of money. There are others who want to win and play against the best competition possible.

Why did Mats Sundin stay in Toronto and not go back to Sweden? Was it the pay? Doubtful. Why did Forsberg play thru so many injuries? It wasn't for the money, it was for the chance to win.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Am I missing something, or has this, :sarcasm: , been missing from a few posts?

I don't really know whether people are serious or just like getting others riled up.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
This is something I'll worry about when we get to it. Lot of things can happen by the time we get around to a new contract for him. We also hold all the cards on him.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
ryjo has become my favorite along with filip. he seems to enjoy nashville. i don't see ryjo going anywhere along w/ the security we can offer him.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
A few articles which may be of interest:

Lately, though, Nashville is on a tear, and has been a force after acquiring top young center Ryan Johansen from the Columbus Blue Jackets in exchange for defenseman Seth Jones in an early-January blockbuster. Since shutting out the Minnesota Wild on Jan. 16, the Predators are 17-6-6, the second-best record over that span. The team has a plus-25 goal differential over that period after being minus-10 through the first 44 games of the season.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/1...ooking-forward-postseason-nashville-predators

More importantly, his arrival has properly balanced the Predators' lineup and provided the necessary depth, especially at center, to compete in the ruthless Central Division and Western Conference.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/spo...en-predators-trade-blue-jackets-nhl/81971834/

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Has anyone thought about how Joey is going to jump to his hometown Vancouver when the contract with us expires? I mean yeah, we are going to have him for a few years but when he's RFA he'll just sign a one year deal and then sign to Vancouver. An ideal place as #1C when the Sedin's retire and the rebuild has advanced to the level where they can compete. They sure have the cap space to sign him.

Every player wants to play for their hometown team and Joey is not an expection.

Dear lord, do you live your day to day life this scared?

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I think adding Granberg on waivers was huge. It gave us some needed depth to be able to trade away Jones. If Bitetto sucks, he can sit and you can put in Granberg. If Granberg and Bitetto are both playing well you can sit Jackman and rest him and have probably the best 7th d-man in the league.

As weird as it is to say that seemed to give Poile the confidence we could overcome the loss of Jones because if you trade Jones and then one or two defensemen get hurt like last year all of a sudden you're moving guys up a line and bringing up AHL guys who aren't ready to play a decent number of minutes.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I am more worried about Forsberg and Josi leaving for New York, since they have a real subway.

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I read the original interview. http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2016/03/johansen-qa.html He said the same general thing in the espn article above.

That sentence will be the thing quoted, but he wasn't negative toward Nashville. If our player is traded, he can say he loved being a Nashville Predator and wished he could have remained one--but t'was not to be. It's business and he can love the past for what it was and the present for what it is. To me a trade is a whole different thing than leaving in free agency. It's not your decision. You're leaving friends and a place you know...I moved a lot as a kid. I understand what he's saying.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I read the original interview. http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2016/03/johansen-qa.html He said the same general thing in the espn article above.

That sentence will be the thing quoted, but he wasn't negative toward Nashville. If our player is traded, he can say he loved being a Nashville Predator and wished he could have remained one--but t'was not to be. It's business and he can love the past for what it was and the present for what it is. To me a trade is a whole different thing than leaving in free agency, but you can still love your time in a place.

Yeah I would not worry about it at all. I just feel bad because he was scapegoated here and his comments show that he was one of the few who actually wanted to play in CBus. Hope he does well for you guys going forward.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
Yeah I would not worry about it at all. I just feel bad because he was scapegoated here and his comments show that he was one of the few who actually wanted to play in CBus. Hope he does well for you guys going forward.

And I wish nothing but the best for Jones. I think you guys have a foundation piece with him.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
I'm sure every player harbors a dream of taking whatever team drafted them to a Stanley Cup. That dream lasts right up until they're traded.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I suppose this is a little random....What is with "RyJo"? Why not just type Ryan or Joey? Do you say RyJo when you're talking about Joey?

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I suppose this is a little random....What is with "RyJo"? Why not just type Ryan or Joey? Do you say RyJo when you're talking about Joey?

RyJo is my preferred name when typing. Johansen while in conversation. Joey sounds like a baby kangaroo and I refused to call him that.

This was agreed on with my brother during the last game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad