Prospect Info: Sergei Murashov, 118th overall, 2022 NHL Draft

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Call me crazy, but drafting what I deem as the most important position, a center would be nice from time to time. Maybe this goalie is the best pick in the draft, who knows. But I'm still looking for signs that Hextall knows how to build a team. Based on his time here and in philly I'm quite convinced the man doesn't have a clue.

Call me crazy but Hextall wasn't given a chance in Philly like he isn't with a portion of his fan base here. Maybe @BrindamoursNose can back my point here?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Call me crazy, but drafting what I deem as the most important position, a center would be nice from time to time. Maybe this goalie is the best pick in the draft, who knows. But I'm still looking for signs that Hextall knows how to build a team. Based on his time here and in philly I'm quite convinced the man doesn't have a clue.
I'm going to call you crazy then because first of all there's no point in drafting for organizational need or purely based on positional "importance," and second of all center isn't the most important position, goaltending is. The NHL draft isn't like the NFL. Anyone after the 2nd round is unlikely to ever have an NHL impact and even the few that do won't be for 3-5 years from the day they're drafted, when a team's needs could be drastically different than they are today.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Call me crazy but Hextall wasn't given a chance in Philly like he isn't with a portion of his fan base here. Maybe @BrindamoursNose can back my point here?

Hextall absolutely knows how to build a team. Whether you agree with his plan or not is a different story.

Hextall values drafting and prospects. He doesn't lose trades and he wins in contract AAV. The only area I have to give him an "incomplete" in is going out to acquire UFAs of impact. He signed JVR here, which I supported (and still do), but he was fired not long after - so I don't know what to say there.

Flyers fans think Hextall couldn't build a team because his drafted players ended up 50/50 developed, but I put a lot of that blame largely on their development as a whole rather than Hexy just picking bad players doomed to fail.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I'm going to call you crazy then because first of all there's no point in drafting for organizational need or purely based on positional "importance," and second of all center isn't the most important position, goaltending is. The NHL draft isn't like the NFL. Anyone after the 2nd round is unlikely to ever have an NHL impact and even the few that do won't be for 3-5 years from the day they're drafted, when a team's needs could be drastically different than they are today.
I'll counter that goaltending is a crap shoot with their size and bloated equipment. You could probably find a HOF caliber out of the non drafted bunch.

You don't draft by need, correct. But you also don't avoid the most important position year in and year out.

crazy

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Yeah you'd think after the last 2 playoffs fans would appreciate the importance of the goaltending position. Alas...

Reactions: mrzeigler and Jacob

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
So there are 2 good 2004 Russian goalies, 1 6'6", 1 6'0", both had pretty decent seasons and the one that was ranked slightly lower got picked slightly higher than the other?

Really looks like our guy had the better season, too. More games and played in some tournaments that the other guy apparently didn't. With the league trend of going for big goalies maybe we found a guy that is undervalued due to a perceived flaw (but 6'0" isn't really *that* small and a just-turned 18 year old can probably still grow a bit) where the other guy was also overvalued.

Are there any good 2003 born Russian goalies or will Murashov be on the U20 team in the winter?

Last edited:

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
well, Carter and Rakell were pretty good deadline deals, but other than that…
If they don't sign Rakell, that was a lot to give up for such a short rental- especially with a team that didn't have a chance to truly compete.

Carter, never liked it.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
If they don't sign Rakell, that was a lot to give up for such a short rental- especially with a team that didn't have a chance to truly compete.

Carter, never liked it.
Heinen was a pretty nice value pickup. Not something that puts a team over the top but almost 20 goals for a million bucks and he doesn't hurt you defensively or require top 6 or PP time to produce either.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Heinen was a pretty nice value pickup. Not something that puts a team over the top but almost 20 goals for a million bucks and he doesn't hurt you defensively or require top 6 or PP time to produce either.
I like 1 year contracts, should be done more.

Guy like Heinen are fine, but when entire forward roster has the same traits, with differing degrees of talent, that's the problem I see with sully hockey.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Would rather have too many goalies than too little

Trust the org's scouting at the position

But 6'0" for a starter is small

Admittedly I know absolutely nothing about his game, but the bolded did kind of stand out at me. The trend toward big goalies makes me a bit worried about a kid DeSmith's size.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Admittedly I know absolutely nothing about his game, but the bolded did kind of stand out at me. The trend toward big goalies makes me a bit worried about a kid DeSmith's size.

It feels like the trend is reversing a little as there's more space and there's more premium on goalies who can go post to post quickly. You look at the Vezina voting - Shestyorkin won as a 6'1" guy, Saaros came third and he ain't even 6', Sure the rest of them are 6'2" or above so it's still a bit of a punt but I don't feel as bad about this as I would have a year ago.

Reactions: Dominance and Jacob

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It feels like the trend is reversing a little as there's more space and there's more premium on goalies who can go post to post quickly. You look at the Vezina voting - Shestyorkin won as a 6'1" guy, Saaros came third and he ain't even 6', Sure the rest of them are 6'2" or above so it's still a bit of a punt but I don't feel as bad about this as I would have a year ago.

An extra inch or two makes all the difference in the world -- or so I've been told. ;)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I am upset with the lottery pick numbers that you picked for me for next week's lottery.
There were much better numbers available.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
First - f*** cds.

Second - I don't mind more Euro goalies. They aren't shoved into a style like most north American goalies are. They're more unorthodox by comparison and more true hybrid. Whereas NA goalies are basically similar with some being better athletes with athleticism and their hockey IQ as well as reflexes.

He's a smaller goalie, but 6' be damned, in those clips he's pretty good at being quick and when to drop down and not suffer from the height issue.

An extra inch or two makes all the difference in the world -- or so I've been told. ;)
Poor Mrs Sidney the kidney.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad