Post-Game Talk: Sens win the cup, beat habs 5-2

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
DSP because upside. Bordeleau has nothing "untapped". We still dont know what DSP can become and hes already a better hockey player. Bordeleau's face punching abilities shouldn't make him a better candidate.

Well Bordeleau skates well. He's not a terrible hockey player. He's more than just a fighter. He's not Matt Martin.....but he's not Brian McGrattan either. True that "what if" DSP wakes up and become a better player still exist compared to Bordeleau....but if not....you can totaly have somewhat of a DSP....with fighting abilities. Not for fights....but till they exist....you won't do without. We have Subban, Gallagher and a few guys who loves to starts fires....but we have nobody to eliminate those fires. And sometimes...it might be problematic for our stars who might pay the price for it.....

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Neil will be out of the league next year, no?

How many other "goon"ish players are left in the league?

Neil is certainly not a goon, his season high 16 goals matches Lars Eller's season high 16 goals....the guy could play hockey, he was a poopoo disturber that could back it up (Chris Nilan clone)....Habs only wished they had a player that played the way he did. (Conner Crisp maybe one day?).... The word "maybe" is very important here.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Kassian looked amazing out there last night. I must say he kind of reminds me of a younger Pacioretty except that he fights more often and gets more penalties. Other than that their skating, size, toughness and skill are very comparable.

I haven't seen much of Kassian yet, but I doubt he's as fast of a skate as Patch.

If he is, we're in for one hell of a player :amazed:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Neil is certainly not a goon, his season high 16 goals matches Lars Eller's season high 16 goals....the guy could play hockey, he was a poopoo disturber that could back it up (Chris Nilan clone)....Habs only wished they had a player that played the way he did. (Conner Crisp maybe one day?).... The word "maybe" is very important here.

His 16 goal season was 10 years ago, he is no longer that player. He can probably still play in the league, but it's likely his last year IMHO.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
His 16 goal season was 10 years ago, he is no longer that player. He can probably still play in the league, but it's likely his last year IMHO.

I agree with 100% of what you're saying....all I'm saying is that he was never a goon, the guy coul play, even today he'll bring a certain amount of grit, leadership, but Fathertime has certainly caught up to him

NoNachoNoParty

Dec 8, 2011
Montreal
Well Bordeleau skates well. He's not a terrible hockey player. He's more than just a fighter. He's not Matt Martin.....but he's not Brian McGrattan either. True that "what if" DSP wakes up and become a better player still exist compared to Bordeleau....but if not....you can totaly have somewhat of a DSP....with fighting abilities. Not for fights....but till they exist....you won't do without. We have Subban, Gallagher and a few guys who loves to starts fires....but we have nobody to eliminate those fires. And sometimes...it might be problematic for our stars who might pay the price for it.....

Cant say i disagree. If we didnt have flynn as a 13th, i wouldnt mind Bordeleau.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I don't think anyone should be still surprised by the fact that the Habs get REALLY unlucky when it comes to playing against the Sens.

Habs had a great offensive game but had defensive blunders and it wasn't Price's night. If they keep that offensive-oriented game though, they'll win LOTS of games.

I legit come out of this game more happy than disappointed.

It's not unlucky. People need to stop believing this garbage.

This is how the team plays. They can't finish. They generate a ton of shots that have no chance of turning into goals. They shoot so much that it creates turnovers and they get scored on.

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011

This is how the team plays. They can't finish. They generate a ton of shots that have no chance of turning into goals. They shoot so much that it creates turnovers and they get scored on.

Did you watch the game?

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013

Precisely. There's a difference between generating a ton of shots and generating legitimate scoring chances. Throwing the puck on net from far out with no one in front of the net to hit in a rebound is pretty pointless.

The team struggled last year to get into the slot, resulting in ****** shots from low scoring areas.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Didnt watch the game.

Were the goals the fault of Price or poor play by the D?

A little bit of both. First goal was badluck. Deflected on AG stick and almost went top corner. 2nd goal was a bad play by Semin and Subban. 3rd goal was part the defense, part Price and part a perfect shot. 4th goal was a weak rebound all on Price imo. Did not see the 5th goal i had things to do and it's pre-season only.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Although pre-season doesn't matter, it does reflect a few things about the current state of the team. You don't just 'turn it on' when game one starts, we had a good lineup last night.. still couldn't score. Da System still doesn't allow for creativity, not yet.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
If you include the overtime goal, we had six goals in a row scored against us, and people say we dominated. More like we did a lot of skating and fancy but empty passing while they scored.

Now why would you want to bring that up?
Let people enjoy their moment of delusion.
People are calling Juulsen the next Duncan Kieth FFS.

We all agree exhibition isn't much more than a tune up.
We can also agree there were some nice plays made from a fans perspective.
Can we also agree that our D doesn't look good at this point 1-2 being the worst and really need to be much more cohesive on Saturday. Finally this 3 vs 3 still eludes us. I mentioned it before that I didn't think we'd like it. There isn't much time left to figure it out.
We seem to or should have a good cushion over the bubble teams but a run of bad luck could make those 7pts extra points we picked up in OT very valuable this year.

bipolarhabfan

Sep 16, 2006
Burnaby, BC
Seriously, bring back the 5-on-5 and the tie... :shakehead

I hate the gimmick called 3-on-3. I disliked the 4-4 and shootout and did not feel that there was the need for change. Maybe making a regulation win worth three points would change the dynamics of the game. I can never figure out how an extra point miraculously appears in the OT period.

As for the Habs, it is the preseason but it is concerning that they still cannot score. I do see this continuing into the regular season. Is the players or the coach?

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011

This. Can't believe people think our inability to produce offense has to do with luck.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Game, set and match. But I think it's a mixture of style of play.....and pure skills of the players we have.

bipolarhabfan

Sep 16, 2006
Burnaby, BC
This. Can't believe people think our inability to produce offense has to do with luck.

The Habs have had difficulties scoring in the last two seasons. Luck has nothing to do with it. Talent does. Last year the Habs would have been eliminated in the first round if Anderson played the entire series. Aside from that six goal game against the Bolts, the Habs scored at a 1.72 GF pace. That is atrocious.

Patches is the only player who can score .5 goals per game. The Habs need another player who can at a .4 pace to be considered contenders. I know that this is the preseason, but I just don't see how they will magically become more prolific after the preseason.

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011
Anyone with a pair of eyes could see the habs were dominating and that Anderson played very well. They look significantly more creative this year and that bodes well for a scoring uptick.

By all means, however, keep *****ing about how the habs can't score before they've even played a meaningful game.

NoNachoNoParty

Dec 8, 2011
Montreal
Anyone with a pair of eyes could see the habs were dominating and that Anderson played very well. They look significantly more creative this year and that bodes well for a scoring uptick.

By all means, however, keep *****ing about how the habs can't score before they've even played a meaningful game.

A thousand times this.

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
The Habs have had difficulties scoring in the last two seasons. Luck has nothing to do with it. Talent does. For example, last year the Habs would have been eliminated in the first round if Anderson played the entire series. Aside from that six goal game against the Bolts, the Habs scored at a 1.72 GF pace. That is atrocious. Patches is the only player which can score .5 goals per game. The Habs need another player who can at a .4 pace to be considered as contenders. I know that this is the preseason, but I just don't see how they will magically become more prolific after the preseason.

I agree with some of this. I don't agree that the pre-season is a particularly good predictor of what will happen in the regular season. I think a number of things have been done in an effort to increase scoring - Semin, Kassian, Fleischmann, Petry, Galch at C, Eller top 6, new PP coaching. We'll see how this translates into actual production when the season starts.
As for .5 goals per game, how many 41 goal scorers do you think there are in the league? I'll give you a hint, there were 3. So unless one of those is available on the trade market, we'll have to be happy with one.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I hate the gimmick called 3-on-3. I disliked the 4-4 and shootout and did not feel that there was the need for change. Maybe making a regulation win worth three points would change the dynamics of the game. I can never figure out how an extra point miraculously appears in the OT period.

As for the Habs, it is the preseason but it is concerning that they still cannot score. I do see this continuing into the regular season. Is the players or the coach?

The awarding of an extra point is here to stay it keeps plenty of so/so teams in the race and from a league's perspective bodies in the stands.
Having said that the 3 vs 3 may actually cause greater separation because as someone pointed out you really can't defend much. So teams getting by on keeping games tight just won't have the talent to win in OT against the stacked clubs.

Last edited:

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
Although pre-season doesn't matter, it does reflect a few things about the current state of the team. You don't just 'turn it on' when game one starts, we had a good lineup last night.. still couldn't score. Da System still doesn't allow for creativity, not yet.

We did see a lot more creativity yesterday than in pretty much any other game last year, though. The Galchenyuk line was controlling the puck very well in the Sens zone and it wasn't just the goode ol' cycling along the boards. We're not there yet but it's somewhat encouraging, I guess.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Fans need to remember this is pre-season exhibition games, used to evaluate their players/prospects and their development. The real team with the 1st string lineup has yet to hit the ice, I would truly like to see Tinordi playing alongside Petry in the game in Ottawa. Beaulieu's play showed what confidence can do for a prospect, he played very well for a sophomore Dman. Can hardly wait for the rematch, Tokarski in nets most likely and the team effort should improve drastically, lots of offence hopefully a good PP as well.:nod:

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
I like 3 on 3 way better than shootouts. It's absolutely hockey - just way wide open hockey. I find it so fun to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad