Post-Game Talk: Sens Win Super League Cup over Price's Team

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
You said it yourself... pre-season is nothing.

I agree thy could be a very dominating line, but Hoffman on lower lines is even a bigger threat.

Michalek-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan
Macarthur-Pageau-Chiasson/Lazar

What about that? Important to get the most possible guys going to spread out the scoring. That's our strenght

Shot count is not that important, it really depends on quality of shots

http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/gamecast?gameId=400814634

I honestly could have saved most of those shots in both games and I suck compared to those goalies. No angle shots have low %

I see about 13 Montreal shots from the face-off dots in towards the Ottawa goal with 1 goal scored for Montreal versus only 5 shots from about the same position by Ottawa with 2 goals scored. I doubt that the Senators will make the playoffs if they give up twice as many good scoring opportunities as they generate. The Senators scoring rate was much higher than Montreal on those very good scoring opportunities. I don't see that holding up over the season.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
How do you know this? I am curious? I mean Hoffman has never had a chance to play with them and clearly has game breaking ability why wouldnt he produce more with better players? With more opportunity to use his shot and game breaking speed.

Say what you will about Hoffman's defensive game his back pressure is the best on the team.

With Stone playing possum in the neutral zone and Hoffmans back pressure they should be able to produce off of turnovers.

I'm not saying the opposite, what I was trying to say is that Hoffman on another line is the best way to spread the scoring... He is an offensive catalyst so he kinda brings energy to Zibanejad-Ryan who are good themselves but sometimes "out of gas", so it gives them a boost. That's the reason I am hesistant to break them up, don't want to be a 1 line team

I'm confident Hoffman could produce more if he stays all year with Zib and Ryan. How much could he score? Vs how much could he score with Turris and Stone?

But yeah, that line could be one of the best lines in the league, but imagine how much they will cost eventually :help:

I see about 13 Montreal shots from the face-off dots in towards the Ottawa goal with 1 goal scored for Montreal versus only 5 shots from about the same position by Ottawa with 2 goals scored. I doubt that the Senators will make the playoffs if they give up twice as many good scoring opportunities as they generate. The Senators scoring rate was much higher than Montreal on those very good scoring opportunities. I don't see that holding up over the season.

Shots from the sides are not good scoring opportunities (particularly against NHL goalies) unless it was an odd-man rush or a cross-crease pass. All-in-all, despite the difference in shots for and against, the scoring chances were low, and for both sides.

I'm not talking about Ottawa's offensive output in that game, they sucked and were very opportunistic. Same goes for the Habs, both teams were not generating much and were opportunistic. It was a high scoring game because of deflections and screens, etc.

Pre-season anyway, doesn't mean jack-all

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
2 for roughing

zack-smith-brendan-gallagher.jpeg
I saw that such a little diver :laugh:

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
It's also kind of weird to compare one pre-season game from one goalie against 4+ years worth of games of another.

Regardless: O'Connor looks good. I think that's the main takeaway we can embrace here.

If we're completely objective, he was shaky in that first game (rookie tournament?) and good in his subsequent appearances.

Overall, pleased with his pre-season.

For a rookie goaltender he definitely had a strong camp. I wasn't crazy about him at first, but I liked what I saw in my limited viewings of him.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
If we're completely objective, he was shaky in that first game (rookie tournament?) and good in his subsequent appearances.
i think he played in the 2nd half of that game and was poor. but definitely better the next game and onwards

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad