Post-Game Talk: Sens vs Canes

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Karlsson

Gersei Chongar
Sep 30, 2011
How can management continue to watch this team and not do anything about the defense? Cowen and Boro are barely AHL level defensemen

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
How can management continue to watch this team and not do anything about the defense? Cowen and Boro are barely AHL level defensemen

Majority of the NHL is in this same boat and theres very few top 4 dmen available. Quality dmen are rarely available.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Majority of the NHL is in this same boat and theres very few top 4 dmen available. Quality dmen are rarely available.

But honestly, I think we're just looking for competent at 5-6. Boro is not a competent NHL player. He's a marginal guy who is having his cup of coffee, earned his shot, and is staying around because there's no option better and he's giving 110% every shift. He's practically "Rudy" with skates... which might be less generous than accurate but is such a sweet line I had to post it. But that's Boro's story. If he wasn't a Sen he might not be in the league - how many teams need Boro? Like would want him. Every team has a couple of Boro's they can bring in. But those guys are not solutions - they're stopgaps.

Do we lose because of Boro? Yes, sometimes. As often as we lose because EK doesn't show up, or the O goes dry, or the goalies have a stinker. But Boro, even at his best, is not part of the solution in Ottawa. We need better players. You can't use the 'he can be better' argument for Boro. If there's a single guy in the line-up who you can honestly assess it's Boro. He's admirably marginal.

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
One has to wonder where the Sens got the idea that any of Boro, Cowen or Wier could play the right side D. They tried them all and none were able to last year. Not that he was the answer but Phillips was probably the best fill-in on that side when they tried him there. Who in management or coaching even dreamed that Boro could do the job? Boro on his off side is 10x worse than Gryba.

If they don't trust Wideman to play as the 5/6 right side D then why did they bother trading Gryba? Not playing Wideman unless there is an injury is an admission that it was a bad trade or that they made a serious error in not signing another right D who fits their "puck mover ideology" instead of Wideman. Without another competent right D they should have only signed Wideman if he was pegged to be in the starting lineup.

The fight for playing time should be on the left between Boro, Cowen and Wier. I find it unfair to judge Boro's progress (or lack) in comparison to Cowen or Wier until we see him playing 5-10 games on his proper side. Let the best man win.

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.
I wonder how Claesson would look on the third pair with Wideman, they know each other from Bingo already so that's a plus. And he has to have better puck skills than Boro, he can't be much worse.

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Ceci
Claesson-Wideman

Not the strongest bottom 4, it can't be much worse than having Wiercioch and Boro dressing.

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
Even strength shots attempted by both teams when Karlsson on ice: 16-16.

When Karlsson off: 38-16

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

Some of that is because of EK but could it be a bit of a misleading stat. Karlsson usually plays with our top lines so maybe it's also a product of who he plays with.

I wonder what Methot's numbers look like?

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.
Some of that is because of EK but could it be a bit of a misleading stat. Karlsson usually plays with our top lines so maybe it's also a product of who he plays with.

I wonder what Methot's numbers look like?

http://hockeystats.ca/game/2015020204

This website says Karlsson finished at -6 EV (16/24)

Methot finished at EV -14 (15/29)

The only non minus guy was Prince at 1 (15/14)

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Weircoch and Boro yeah..... that was never gonna work .We are not deep enough with even Ceci in the lineup to have those guy,s as a pair ever.Bolded needs to gtfo :rant:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'm so mad. We need a defensemen so bad and it has never shown as much as this year. Murray HAS TO BE working the phones in the next weeks to get us an upgrade on defense. The team isn't that bad when a good effort is given but our defense is what hurts us and puts wayyy to much pressure on our goaltenders.

Anderson and Hammond have had to stop 35-40 shots per game, this is not acceptable. Offensively we are still in fact top 10 in goals for but we are bottom 10 in goals against and our goaltenders have been lights out for us for the most part so far. Don't need to be a ****in rocket scientist to make 1 + 1 and figure that we need help on defense NOW.

There is no doubt that the Senators need a quality D-man, but that is not enough to solve the quantity of shots against. The forwards need to do more defensively without the puck. So many games I see the forwards collapsing to the front of the net and looking at the puck, not taking a man and getting in position to block the pass to him or to disrupt his shot if the pass is made. Just poor defensive zone play by the forwards is causing many shots against.

I only saw the third period and that poor effort, slow skating, etc. was just awful given that Carolina played the night before and the Senators were rested. I am very disappointed in the forwards defensive play.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
One has to wonder where the Sens got the idea that any of Boro, Cowen or Wier could play the right side D. They tried them all and none were able to last year. .....

They did? I have no recollection of anyone of those three playing the right side last year.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
I am an ex-nordiques
It was our religion to hate the habs
I hate them with passion

but they are a beauty to watch because of their D

They added zero forwards and they score at a much higher rate then last year because of PETRY

We need someone with CEci its not even funny

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
My view of team needs:
1. A top 2 D-man
2. A skilled playmaking centre
3. A new GM
4. A new Coach

Last edited:

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I'd rather them focus on teaching our centers to win a faceoff before worrying about the defense. Hockey is a possession game, and you're not going to win when you don't have the puck. I realize Carolina is a good faceoff team, but the draws cost us this game. Look at some of the worst faceoff teams, Columbus, Calgary, New Jersey. There are exceptions, but you can't win games when you're 37% on draws.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
There is no doubt that the Senators need a quality D-man, but that is not enough to solve the quantity of shots against. The forwards need to do more defensively without the puck. So many games I see the forwards collapsing to the front of the net and looking at the puck, not taking a man and getting in position to block the pass to him or to disrupt his shot if the pass is made. Just poor defensive zone play by the forwards is causing many shots against.

I only saw the third period and that poor effort, slow skating, etc. was just awful given that Carolina played the night before and the Senators were rested. I am very disappointed in the forwards defensive play.

That's a big part of it, and a problem that has been around for several year with this team.

Sometimes, it looks like the forwards are taught one system, and the defense a different one. It's easy to hide it in the offensive zone....but behind our on blueline...yikes!

It has been happening long enough that I point the main finger behind the bench. Not just the head coach but the two assistants, as well. There's a lack of communication going on between the three of them. And nothing against Smith, but how did he go from player to assistant in the NHL? The guy has no coaching experience outside of Ottawa.

burf

Mar 27, 2012
Weircoch and Boro yeah..... that was never gonna work .We are not deep enough with even Ceci in the lineup to have those guy,s as a pair ever.Bolded needs to gtfo :rant:

They weren't the problem though. Real problem was the bottom pair, especially Wideman, who finished +6/-30 for shot attempts on the night. That's -10 worse than anyone else on the team, except Hammond.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
At least the way our guys are playing will cut down the main board threads that many rush to create about our guys, only positive from the last while

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I am an ex-nordiques
I hate them with passion

They added zero forwards and they score at a much higher rate then last year because of PETRY

They score more because their bottom 6 is excellent and Weise is having a career year.

They remain a perimeter team.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I am an ex-nordiques
I hate them with passion

Petry has been extremely good. He looks like Methot out there with more offensive flair. To be fair though they added Fleishman who's part of arguably their best line right now with Weise ans Desharnais. Also Mitchell has been very good on their 4rth line. They have good kids coming up too McCarron really similar stats to Paul and will play in the NHL sooner than later, Sherbak incredibly talented and then De La Rose who'll be a good 3rd line type of guy and Hudon again lots of talent. I think they'll be good for a long time with most of their core players (Price,Gallagher,Subban, Pacioretty, Petry, Galchenyuk, Beaulieu) all under 28 and all the kids coming soon not to mention thwy have nice veterans like Plekanec and Markov to round it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad