Line Combos: Sens True Depth Chart

SuperDuper101

May 15, 2013
This is where I believe the teams talent currently sits as of today. Players can grow going forward but this to me accurately reflects the now.

1st Line: X - X - Ryan

Between 1st and 2nd: Hoffman

2nd Line: MacArthur - Turris - X

Between 2nd and 3rd: X - Zibanejad - Stone

Purgatory: Pageau, Chiasson.

4th Line: Neil, Greening, Smith, Condra, Lazar

Top Pairing: Methot, Karlsson
Lower Tier 2nd Pairing: Cowen, Ceci

Debatable NHL replacement Level: Everyone else.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Hoffman is a 2nd line player on his best days and those days are when he's playing with out best players

He'll never be a top line guy

Zibanejad however, he's looking like someone who will be a top line centre if all goes well

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
If you have guys like Zibanejad and Stone (50-55 pts guys soon) between your 2nd and 3rd line (meaning you have like 4-6 better forwards), you're easily a top contender...

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
1st Line: X - X - Ryan

2nd Line: Hoffman - Turris - Stone

3rd Line: MacArthur - Zibanejad - Chiasson

4th Line: Lazar - Pageau - Condra

Top Pairing: Methot, Karlsson
Lower Tier 2nd Pairing: Ceci
Bottom pair: Boro, Cowen

made some bold changes
can switch hoff and mac i guess. it's the first line problem that is screwing everyone's position up.

SaltyPete

May 7, 2014
Hoffman is a 2nd line player on his best days and those days are when he's playing with out best players

He'll never be a top line guy

Zibanejad however, he's looking like someone who will be a top line centre if all goes well

He's 10th in the entire league in P/60, 2nd in G/60.

I think it's fair to say he's at least a decent second line player.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
1st liners : Ryan
2nd liners: Turris, Zib, Stone, Mac, Hoffman
3rd liners: Lazar(in the future), Smith, Michalek
4th liners: Pageau, Condra, Legwand
Not NHL Material: Neil

Top Pairing : Karlsson
Second Pairing : Methot, Ceci, Cowen(in the future)
Third pairing : Boro, Wier, Gryba
Not NHL Material: Phillips

Othello*

1st line: Ryan
2nd line: Turris,Stone,Hoff,Zib
3rd line: Chia, Mac, Michalek
4th line : Lazar, Pageau, Legwand, condra idk about smith tbh

1st pair: karlsson
2nd pair: Ceci, Methot
3rd pair Cowen, Weircioch
Not NHL caliber: Phillips, Gryba , Boro

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
As of today/ as of how they've played ...

Where Individual Sens Forwards Should Play (In a Vacuum)
[table="head;width=900]DEPTH|LW|C|RW
1st LINE|N/A|N/A|Ryan
2nd LINE|Hoffman, MacArthur (if he's slumping he's a 3rd liner, though)|Turris, Zibanejad|Stone
3rd LINE|Michalek|Legwand|Chiasson (barely), Condra
4th LINE|N/A|Lazar, Pageau|Neil (good version)
PRESSBOX|Greening|Z.Smith|Neil (bad version)
AHL|Greening, Prince, Puempel|D.Grant|Schneider
[/table]

Where Individual Sens Defencemen Should Play (In a Vacuum)
[table="head;width=900]DEPTH|LD|RD
1st PAIR|N/A|Karlsson
2nd PAIR|Methot (elite 2nd pair)|Ceci
3rd PAIR|Cowen, Phillips (good version), Borowiecki (barely)|N/A
PRESSBOX|Weircioch, Phillips (bad version)|Gryba
AHL|Claesson|Wideman
[/table]

Last edited:

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

1st LINE|N/A|N/A|Ryan
2nd LINE|Hoffman, MacArthur (if he's slumping he's a 3rd liner, though)|Turris, Zibanejad|Stone
[/table]

1st PAIR|N/A|Karlsson
AHL|Claesson|Wideman
[/table]
i
Perfect imo. Might be a little generous on Ceci but should we really expect him to be perfect in his role at this age? I like Legwand in his more defensive role on the forth line myself. Gets a lot of defensive assignment 5 v 5 yet is given opportunities to play pp. Seems great since he was mediocre 5 v 5 most the year but good 5 v 4. Might be able to say the same for Michalek.

Backpass

Jan 4, 2015
i
Perfect imo. Might be a little generous on Ceci but should we really expect him to be perfect in his role at this age? I like Legwand in his more defensive role on the forth line myself. Gets a lot of defensive assignment 5 v 5 yet is given opportunities to play pp. Seems great since he was mediocre 5 v 5 most the year but good 5 v 4. Might be able to say the same for Michalek.

First off, if Zibanejad can't play as our first line center then we either play him or Turris as the second line center and trade for a first line center. In my opinion, Hoffman can easily take the first line wing position.

I would play Pageau third instead of Legwand and have Lazar and Stone/Chiasson.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
First off, if Zibanejad can't play as our first line center then we either play him or Turris as the second line center and trade for a first line center. In my opinion, Hoffman can easily take the first line wing position.

I would play Pageau third instead of Legwand and have Lazar and Stone/Chiasson.

The point of my list wasn't projecting the future, it was assessing the games played already this season, and attributing depth chart spots based on performance.

WhiteLight*

1st liners : Ryan
2nd liners: Turris, Zibanejad, Stone, MacArthur, Hoffman
3rd liners: Legwand, Chiasson
4th liners: Lazar, Pageau, Condra, Michalek, Smith
Not NHL Material: Greening, Neil

Top Pairing : Karlsson
Second Pairing : Methot, Ceci
Third pairing : Cowen, Borowiecki, Wiercioch, Gryba
Not NHL Material: Phillips

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Based on what we've got we will need to roll with something like

Hoffman – Zibanejad – Ryan
MacArthur – Turris – Stone
Chiasson – Lazar - Pageau
Condra - Legwand – Michalek
Neil

Based on a few deals (Chiasson, Legwand, Michalek, Neil) before March 2 we could be looking at

Hoffman – Zibanejad – Ryan
MacArthur – Turris – Stone
Prince – Lazar - Pageau
Puempel - 1st pick/DaCosta – Robinson
Condra

Either way, pretty scary, but I'd prefer the second set and get the young ones seasoned. Pageau could be the 4C, but I'd like to see him get a shot at a St Louis - esque RW slot. Prince will show, after March 2, if he belongs. UFAs are defence rich (no centres we will sign). A trade for a ROR type of centre might be beneficial. (Methot and Chiasson/Dallas 2nd for ROR?) would change the landscape dramatically. 1st could then be a Dman.

SuperDuper101

May 15, 2013
I think it's kind of intersting. Remember, this is a thread about where they are at exactly this moment in time. Like a freeze frame. I see a lot of these guys working their way up the depth chart over time (Stone, Zibanejad, Hoffman, Lazar) to name a few. But right now, this is I think the fairest evaluation of where the team is at and it makes it a lot easier to understand why the team is losing. They just aren't that good yet.

SuperDuper101

May 15, 2013
Point Pace over 82 as of Right Now:

Ryan = 62

Hoffman = 48 (28 Goal Pace, now buried in lineup to avoid Paying the Piper RFA)

Zibanejad = 40
Stone = 50
Turris = 50
MacArthur = 42

Chiasson = 32
Legwand = 34

Now realistically, we know that the league average is around 40 points to be classified as a "2nd line" forward. However, if we're talking about a contending team that has a realistic shot of making noise in the playoffs those numbers have to be bigger.

I staunchly believe MacArthur & Turris would have better numbers this year if they were playing with Ryan. I'd probably put them both around 55-60 points and 20+ goals each if that was the scenario. They've been hurt by having him removed from their wing.

Zibanejad & Hoffman in the same ilk have been boosted by the play of Ryan, but it's fairly clear Hoffman has his own high end skill set.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Hoffman = 48 (28 Goal Pace, now buried in lineup to avoid Paying the Piper RFA)

VY58bAL.gif

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011

1st LINE|N/A|N/A|Ryan
[/table]

1st PAIR|N/A|Karlsson
AHL|Claesson|Wideman
[/table]

I agree with this pretty much. But I think Gryba is a 3rd pairing guy, although maybe not on a contending team.

SuperDuper101

May 15, 2013
Now if you compare us to Chicago. That's where Ottawa's lack of top end depth in their current stage of development becomes abundantly clear. These things go in cycles, and Ottawa hasn't reached theirs yet. Also, if we're to have a cycle at all we need some prospects to take a big jump and probably a trade or free agent home run.

L1: Kane, Toews, Hossa, Sharp
L1 & L2 Tweener: Saad, Versteeg
L2: Richards
L3: Bickell

D1: Keith, Seabrook
D2: Hjalmarsson, Rundblad
D3: Oduya, Rosival
Replacement Level: Erixon, TVR, Dahlbeck, Clendening

SuperDuper101

May 15, 2013

Haha, well it's obviously just a theory. It's literally just what SensChirp stated the other day in his comment section. A month or so ago Hoffman said he wanted to wait until after the year to start negotiating on contract. He's been moved away from Ryan and the lineup has been shuffled since. Still gets zero real PP opportunity (always just the last 25 seconds or so) despite a terrible PP.

That doesn't make it true of course, it's mostly hyperbole in jest. His usage does however strike some as odd. We probably aren't getting the most out of him unless he's with our best players. Then again, that could be said of anyone.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Hoffman not looking good on the PP might have something to with his PP ice-time rather than attempting to nickel and dime him

SuperDuper101

May 15, 2013
Hoffman not looking good on the PP might have something to with his PP ice-time rather than attempting to nickel and dime him

True, but he's also only played the point (yes he did do that in Bingo too I know) instead of being put in the Turris spot on the half wall where his one-timer could be most effective a-la-Ovechkin.

He also only gets on for the last 25 seconds or so of a PP, and that has been the same situation since game one. He's never been given a "regular" shift on the PP to screw up. So you can hardly say his poor play is the reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad