Pre-Game Talk: SENS take a bite out of the big Apple, Sunday 7:00 pm on SN

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Thank you. I can't believe there are posters who actually believe losing in OT is a good thing. Its better than losing in regulation, but losing is still bad.

The media is trying to sell the fanbase on how "we only have 5 regulation losses" as a good thing. It appears the media tactics have worked on some of the fans.

Who here is saying that losing in OT is a “good thing”?

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
Goaltending has been by far the weakest part of this team. Andy and Condon have both underperformed considerably. Yes it is still early, but Dorion should be scouting for some potential goaltending alternatives if this ship doesn't start to turn in the right direction.

Reactions: aragorn

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I can't believe that there are posters who view all losses the same way.

Quite an idiotic stance.
The thing is. Players do. You think players are stoked about losing in OT and highfive over the point? I guarentee you they don't. Plays with the psyche as well.

Whether the other team beats you 3-2 in regulation or 3-2 in OT. It's a loss and if it's one here one there no biggie. But again. We are losing more often than we are winning. That is never what any team wants to do

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Goaltending has been by far the weakest part of this team. Andy and Condon have both underperformed considerably. Yes it is still early, but Dorion should be scouting for some potential goaltending alternatives if this ship doesn't start to turn in the right direction.
Exactly

If their save % was just an ok .922 lets say (wich his 20th best in the league right now)
We would probably have 4-5 more points

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
:huh: Nothing like being excited about a loser point.

When you lose in a shootout, you still LOSE..so yes, a loss is a loss. Do you think Mark Stone looks at the team's record and says "I am so happy we took those teams to OT and lost instead of losing in regulation"? Nope, he'd be pissed that they lost.

8 wins 11 losses. Not good enough.

Are they any better if they win those 4 that they lost in the shootout? The players probably feel a little better, the fans feel a lot better. They still need to work on the same things if they want to make another deep run. 12-5-2 looks a lot better but does it really change anything?

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Are they any better if they win those 4 that they lost in the shootout? The players probably feel a little better, the fans feel a lot better. They still need to work on the same things if they want to make another deep run. 12-5-2 looks a lot better but does it really change anything?
Well yes. 4 extra points

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Well yes. 4 extra points

But the on-ice performance is the same. Why do you care about 4 points? We're trying to win the cup, we're not trying to win the most shootouts.

The focus needs to be on improving the on-ice performance. Whether we win or lose in a shootout is secondary to that. The fact that we have one of the lowest number of regulation loses is more representative of our actual performance than fretting over some shootout losses.

This is going to sound like Guy Boucher-speak, but the focus really needs to be on the process in order to build the team up to what it was at the end season last year. No doubt there's lots of room for improvement. But shootout losses versus shootout wins are irrelevant. To me, they're basically the same thing, minus an extra point in the standings.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
This dumb site doesn't let me edit my previous post, but I'd like to add this:

I'd much much rather be 8-4-7(23pts) with 8 regulation wins than 13-6-0(26pts) with 8 shootout wins.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
But the on-ice performance is the same. Why do you care about 4 points? We're trying to win the cup, we're not trying to win the most shootouts.

The focus needs to be on improving the on-ice performance. Whether we win or lose in a shootout is secondary to that. The fact that we have one of the lowest number of regulation loses is more representative of our actual performance than fretting over some shootout losses.

This is going to sound like Guy Boucher-speak, but the focus really needs to be on the process in order to build the team up to what it was at the end season last year. No doubt there's lots of room for improvement. But shootout losses versus shootout wins are irrelevant. To me, they're basically the same thing, minus an extra point in the standings.
First step to getting into the playoffs is accumulating enough points. Once there teams chances of going deep and winning are based on a number of factors; psychological, whether they are entering the playoffs hot or not, good matchups etc.

Would you prefer to miss the playoffs by a few points because of a regulation loss but build the team for next year or make the playoffs from those extra post regulation points?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
This dumb site doesn't let me edit my previous post, but I'd like to add this:

I'd much much rather be 8-4-7(23pts) with 8 regulation wins than 13-6-0(26pts) with 8 shootout wins.
With such a small threshold for making the playoffs that doesn't appear to be very smart.

We're also 8-5-6 for 22, currently out of the playoffs. Why should we be fine with that?

Only teams in the East with worse records in their last 10 are the Panthers and Sabres, and we have played Colorado twice and Arizona once in that span.

They need to (I think they will) turn things around quick.

Last edited:

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
With such a small threshold for making the playoffs that doesn't appear to be very smart.

All I'm saying is I'd rather we make the playoffs with a few less points, but with a solid foundation of keeping games close and winning games outright in regulation than to fluke our way in with a few extra points because of the shootout. Of course none of this matters if we don't make the playoffs, but we're not there yet. I'm not worried about that right now.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I'm not saying the team should strive to get less points. I'm just saying I'd rather get in based on the strength of our regulation play instead of fluking our way in but with a few extra points.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
All I'm saying is I'd rather we make the playoffs with a few less points, but with a solid foundation of keeping games close and winning games outright in regulation than to fluke our way in with a few extra points because of the shootout. Of course none of this matters if we don't make the playoffs, but we're not there yet. I'm not worried about that right now.
Until they take the shootout points away, other teams will get them. If we keep losing them (and in most cases this year due to our own lack of intensity in the 3rd periods) we will continue to lose ground, as we have thus far.

Not to mention we don't make the playoffs last year without the shootouts, we had the 3rd most shootout wins in the league, so I'm not sure where you're coming up with the stance you have.

Reactions: DrEasy

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I'm not saying the team should strive to get less points. I'm just saying I'd rather get in based on the strength of our regulation play instead of fluking our way in but with a few extra points.
Okay but our regulation play in these losess hasn't been that good

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

We're also 8-5-6 for 22, currently out of the playoffs. Why should we be fine with that?

Only teams in the East with worse records in their last 10 are the Panthers and Sabres, and we have played Colorado twice and Arizona once in that span.

They need to (I think they will) turn things around quick.

I agree that they need to turn it around quick. There's no doubt we're in a slump. I'm just trying to point out that regulation losses is the only "pure" representation of a team's performance in their record. Wins are sullied by shootout wins, which are barely different from shootout losses, etc.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Okay but our regulation play in these losess hasn't been that good

I agree. Luckily we have among the fewest regulation losses in the league. I have confidence we'll turn our current slump around. Until this week, only Tampa had fewer regulation losses than us.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I agree that they need to turn it around quick. There's no doubt we're in a slump. I'm just trying to point out that regulation losses is the only "pure" representation of a team's performance in their record. Wins are sullied by shootout wins, which are barely different from shootout losses, etc.
I understand what you're saying, I just disagree with it.

Detroit
Washington
Toronto
Pittsburgh
Islanders
Hurricanes
Columbus

All have more "losses" than the Sens, yet are all above them in the standings. GP has to do with 2/3 of them, but the point stands.

They are very different from shootout losses. Winning in the shootout has nothing to do with being able to play tight games in the playoffs, the Sens proved that last year.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
My comment was in jest and the wink was my way of saying I agree with you.

I've seen nothing from Burrows and Thompson had some good shifts on the pk but not much else. I agree they are not to blame for the losses by themselves but at the same time Boucher has so many "superstars" surely he can find a way to keep Burrows off the pp.

I have not been impressed by Burrows and Thompson. But the scorers, who are paid handsomely to score, have been MIA in too many games so far. The goaltenders have not been very good either.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
A loss is a loss. Shootouts, OT, doesn't matter how they happen, they are part of the game. Learn to win them then.

Also, last I checked, a goaltender is part of the team. If they underperform, we lose. 8 wins and 11 losses is not good enough, period, I don't think anyone can debate that.
A point is a point. It doesn't matter how it happens, they are part of the game. Good talk, Glad you see it my way now,

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The glass is half empty!
The glass is half full!

Both sides are right in this one. We managed to salvage a point in an OT loss, but we also pissed a point away.

Bottom line, the team needs to play better and more consistently.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
False. How can you say most this season? We've played well most of the season. Besides this slump, only the Habs game was really bad. You don't go into panic knee-jerk mode over a 3 game slump with a team and system that got us so far last year.
embrace-the-suck.jpg

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The game was well in hand against Phoenix - they rarely threatened at all, we had the lead.

I had two gripes in the Coyotes game:
1. Condon.
2. PP.

We had our chances against the Rangers but didn't capitalize. Same with Pittsburgh.

Ultimately they were close games that required empty net goals.

I certainly didn't like the effort level in that Rangers games and I hope it isn't a sign of games to come because we have 19 back-to-back situations this year.

I blame the Senators management for approving a schedule with 19 back-to-back games plus a long trip for 2 games in Sweden. The only rationale for accepting that bad schedule is probably money!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad