Pre-Game Talk: SENS take a bite out of the big Apple, Sunday 7:00 pm on SN

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
When's players aren't playing well for long periods (most of this season) a solution other than "wait till they play well again" needs to be found

False. How can you say most this season? We've played well most of the season. Besides this slump, only the Habs game was really bad. You don't go into panic knee-jerk mode over a 3 game slump with a team and system that got us so far last year.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Would really like to see what paul Maclean of his first two years here could do with both chabot and karlsson on the backend.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
False. How can you say most this season? We've played well most of the season. Besides this slump, only the Habs game was really bad. You don't go into panic knee-jerk mode over a 3 game slump with a team and system that got us so far last year.
Dude. It's not "panic knee jerk" mode. Immnot suggesting we trade anyone. Or blow the team up. Small tweaks here and there
I don't get it. Any change we suggest is "panic knee jerk" until management actually does it lol. Then it was "time" for the change.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Dude. It's not "panic knee jerk" mode. Immnot suggesting we trade anyone. Or blow the team up. Small tweaks here and there
I don't get it. Any change we suggest is "panic knee jerk" until management actually does it lol. Then it was "time" for the change.

You're not making any sense... NyQuil said "sometimes players don't play well", you implied that's not an acceptable answer. What are you suggesting then?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
You're not making any sense... NyQuil said "sometimes players don't play well", you implied that's not an acceptable answer. What are you suggesting then?
That change needs to be made somehwere because we havent played well most of the season imo. I'm not saying trade stone for picks and rebuild

I see the issue. You think everytime one of us complains or suggests changes we mean blow it up. We don't.

It was an acceptable answer. But it can't continue to be one. If you think we've been great this season fine. I don't. We have lost more game than we have won.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
The media has been fixed on this "losses in regulation" stat that they keep trying to drive home to us, but yet again, the media underestimates the intelligence of most fans. Losses are losses, no matter when they occur. This team has an 8-5-6 record, which means we have 8 wins 11 losses. That is far from good enough. Seems to me that "the players aren't playing well" far more often than they play well.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The media has been fixed on this "losses in regulation" stat that they keep trying to drive home to us, but yet again, the media underestimates the intelligence of most fans. Losses are losses, no matter when they occur. This team has an 8-5-6 record, which means we have 8 wins 11 losses. That is far from good enough. Seems to me that "the players aren't playing well" far more often than they play well.

Intelligent fans also understand that shootouts, win or lose, aren't indicative of how well a team is playing, no?

The reality is our goaltending has probably cost us 3 or 4 of those loses, maybe more. That's where my concern rests. That and Karlsson's play, which simply isn't up to his standards.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
relax ......... Senators still with third best record in Division

Tampa Bay Lightning 0.800
Toronto Maple Leafs 0.667
Ottawa Senators 0.579

Detroit Red Wings 0.548
Boston Bruins 0.526
Montréal Canadiens 0.428
Florida Panthers 0.400
Buffalo Sabres 0.350
Gotta love these morning after Johnny come lately with the all too wise .."Relax" comments.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Intelligent fans also understand that shootouts, win or lose, aren't indicative of how well a team is playing, no?

The reality is our goaltending has probably cost us 3 or 4 of those loses, maybe more. That's where my concern rests. That and Karlsson's play, which simply isn't up to his standards.

A loss is a loss. Shootouts, OT, doesn't matter how they happen, they are part of the game. Learn to win them then.

Also, last I checked, a goaltender is part of the team. If they underperform, we lose. 8 wins and 11 losses is not good enough, period, I don't think anyone can debate that.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
A loss is a loss. Shootouts, OT, doesn't matter how they happen, they are part of the game. Learn to win them then.

A loss in OT and a shootout is infinitely preferable to a loss in regulation.

Saying a "loss is a loss" is fundamentally untrue. You don't get a point when you lose in regulation.

All I care about is points. 2 points are better than 1. But 1 point is still better than 0.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

Also, last I checked, a goaltender is part of the team. If they underperform, we lose. 8 wins and 11 losses is not good enough, period, I don't think anyone can debate that.

A loss is not a loss. You get a point for an OTL, you don't get a point for a regulation loss. It's a huge difference. An OTL is basically a tie if the other team isn't in your division. Once you're in the playoffs, none of this 3on3 or shootout stuff matters.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
A loss is not a loss. You get a point for an OTL, you don't get a point for a regulation loss. It's a huge difference. An OTL is basically a tie if the other team isn't in your division. Once you're in the playoffs, none of this 3on3 or shootout stuff matters.

A loss in OT and a shootout is infinitely preferable to a loss in regulation.

Saying a "loss is a loss" is fundamentally untrue. You don't get a point when you lose in regulation.

All I care about is points. 2 points are better than 1. But 1 point is still better than 0.

:huh: Nothing like being excited about a loser point.

When you lose in a shootout, you still LOSE..so yes, a loss is a loss. Do you think Mark Stone looks at the team's record and says "I am so happy we took those teams to OT and lost instead of losing in regulation"? Nope, he'd be pissed that they lost.

8 wins 11 losses. Not good enough.

Reactions: Cosmix

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Nothing like being excited about a loser point.

When you lose in a shootout, you still LOSE..so yes, a loss is a loss. Do you think Mark Stone looks at the team's record and says "I am so happy we took those teams to OT and lost instead of losing in regulation".

Actually yeah, they would say that. 1pt is better than 0. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

Besides, I'd argue the teams that win in OT/SO are the ones getting the bonus point. Basically saying, "congrats, you tied the game, but here's a bonus point for doing something that has nothing to do with actual hockey, and we don't even allow in the playoffs".

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Last I checked, they still count towards making the playoffs.

No one is excited about it, but the rules are the rules.

When you lose in a shootout, you still LOSE..so yes, a loss is a loss. Do you think Mark Stone looks at the team's record and says "I am so happy we took those teams to OT and lost instead of losing in regulation"? Nope, he'd be pissed that they lost.

I'm not happy about our putrid OT/SO record but those points still count.

You ask a player when they score late to put a team into extra time, and lose anyway, they're still happy to have tied it up and get the loser point.

In our case, we keep blowing leads so it's a different situation.

But again, we've earned those loser points by staying in games for 3 periods. The NHL has decided to reward that.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

8 wins 11 losses. Not good enough.

Nobody is getting exited about losing in the shootout or OT, we just aren't crying wolf about it either. Pretty sure Mark Stone is happier with our 8-5-6 record than he would be with a 8-11-0 record. It's like freaking chicken little around here...

Edit: I probably should just stick to one fable per post, replace "crying wolf" with "shouting the sky is falling"

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
No. I dont understand. I acknowledge all opinions opposite to mine. Especially when they prove right or are right for a game or a few games. No one can say I haven't come here and said "I was wrong".i have plenty of times. I don't think anyone is stupid for thinking something different than me. Swiftwin? Not stupid. You? Not stupid? Ice-Tray? Not stupid. Simply different. I'm here to read your opinions.

You do seem to get posters in categories and only remember posts by those posters that fit your idea of them.

And people that call me. Out for being glass half empty. Uhh yeah. When it comes to sports. Damn right I am lmao. My sports teams have beaten me into submission.

It's not about being wrong or right, seriously I don't care about that (unless it's facts). I never said that someone was stupid for his opinions on a hockey board. Maybe people who don't like me will try to paint it that way, but it's never personal, it remains opinions about the game that we love. Intelligence is way too complex to be able to determine if someone is smart or not based on posts here, or trying to determine how a person is. Although, you can certainly feel the "hockey savvy". Like Bert for example, I often disagree with him (or totally agree) but you know the guy knows what he is talking about. Fuhr was like that too, however he was more of a "board agitator" like he even called himself, so he was posting a bit "on purpose" to push agendas.

In short, FormentonTheFuture was mocked and brought to the edge of frustration (I guess?) because he was overly positive and sometimes to the sense of derision (I called him out sometimes too, like for his opinions on Mantha and Wings for example)

I'm just saying that you do exactly the opposite, so at the other extreme of the spectrum with negativity. I've seen some posts where I was like "finally a bit of sunshine", so I guess there's hope ;) Are you posting like that because you're too emotional and the team piss you off? My opinion is just to take it easy, it's just a game after all and they're the ones making millions. We are only observers and IMO, it's better to stay even-keel with it (never too high, never too low). Once you do that, frustration diminishes and you end up being a bit more "relax" on players, etc.

I never said it was not ok to call out a bad play (like I did for Condon the other night for example, and several times because that play was one of the worst I have ever seen) but being "on the case" of a player becomes bias and scapegoating which IMO is not "healthy" for both the fan and the player. Imagine what Carey Price has been going through this year. Many people in Montreal have really been "on his case" and it doesn't help anything, at all. I say let's not make the same mistakes (like we did with Spezza for example)

I am not putting anybody in categories, but you read comments and you know when someone is really pushing the negativity (or positivity like FTF did) to an extreme where it doesn't make much sense anymore. I'm far from being the only one to have noticed that (you're not the only one doing it), but I am really not afraid to talk about it and even get more hate towards me, like l'aveuglette just did in the post below. People will always hate when they get the wrong message or perception. There is a few posters that really never understood my message, which is in summary : even when we are frustrated, we should always try to be fair and respectful to the players, coaches, GMs, etc. But maybe they're right and I am really evil! :devdance:

I don't mind you at all (because you stay respectful) and never put you on ignore, I'm just letting you know :thumbu:.

This is quite FTF-y.

Sorry, but what am I suppose to say then?

"People harping on Boro, Burrows or Oduya really figured out all the teams problems!"

lol think about it.

Saying that you don't understand something about hockey is NOT an insult.

Anyway, did you think that my original comment was necessarily directed at you, or even for this game? There has been other games, other GDTs, other threads and many comments about those goats.

Like I have always said : if the hat fits, put it. If you don't feel it's directed at you, then don't. Problem solved.

No no no, Xspirit is the original "call-out other posters as not knowing hockey" guy. Give him his due man.

:heart:

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
From an offensive perspective, I think everyone should probably be pleasantly surprised. This was a team that other fans and pundits claimed couldn't score a goal.

Yeah, Sens were 3rd in GF/GP prior the Penguins game. Have to get out of the slump ASAP!

8-5-6, in which the team has given away 6 loser points, with 4 of them being 3rd period collapses.

To think that without the ridiculous goalie gaffes, the team could easily be 11-5-3, which would satisfy me. Frustrating.

The game was well in hand against Phoenix - they rarely threatened at all, we had the lead.

I had two gripes in the Coyotes game:
1. Condon.
2. PP.

We had our chances against the Rangers but didn't capitalize. Same with Pittsburgh.

Ultimately they were close games that required empty net goals.

I certainly didn't like the effort level in that Rangers games and I hope it isn't a sign of games to come because we have 19 back-to-back situations this year.

And to be honest, 3 of the 4 goals Pens/Rangers scored were screened/deflections. Sens didn't get that.

What I noticed in those 2 games, it's the number of attempts blocked or that missed the net where they had really good looks to score. 2 posts as well and 2 miraculous saves too? Yeah, pretty much the definition of a slump.

The PP is just frustrating to no end. How can you not achieve something with players like Karlsson, Stone, Hoffman, Duchene, Ryan, Brassard and Phaneuf?

I actually prefer Wideman on the point vs Karlsson...

Like I said earlier, problems this year (outside of injuries that is just always a problem for this team it seems) : sub-par Goaltending, Karlsson not being close to himself, PP.

It's pretty simple.

Nobody is getting exited about losing in the shootout or OT, we just aren't crying wolf about it either. Pretty sure Mark Stone is happier with our 8-5-6 record than he would be with a 8-11-0 record. It's like freaking chicken little around here...

What people are not seeing is :

Look at every year standings, most teams finish the year with around ~ 10-12 OTL. They are already at 6, so maybe they won't get too many for the rest of the year, maybe they make the playoffs because of it like the Leafs did last season. In the end, they will still get their ~10-12 OTL regardless of how it happens.

What is important is what they do the rest of the year in the W/L column.

It's a long season, and teams (except 3-4 teams) have to fight all season just to make the playoffs. Very tough league, every team is good enough to beat you.

Last edited:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
He is an NHL player NOW. People that truly aren't NHL players, and play in the NHL, get absolutely buried. He was not getting buried. He was playing well with veeeeery small nicks in his game. But Boucher doesnt think it's his job to suffer any of those veeeeery small deficiencies and fix them.

It's Jacques Martin-esque.

Or they'd rather him play big minutes in the AHL than sheltered minutes in the NHL. How many minutes did Chabot play in his NHL starts? That's probably what he'd see if called up.

Of course if Karlsson continues to struggle, without Wideman . . . it might force their hand to get a bit more offense on the blueline. I don't know. I have no issue with Wideman staying in the AHL this year.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
People saying 1 point games count to the towards making the playoffs just like 2 point games. Well losing 1 point counts towards missing the playoffs just like losing 2 points.

Reactions: Chezzz

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
People saying 1 point games count to the towards making the playoffs just like 2 point games. Well losing 1 point counts towards missing the playoffs just like losing 2 points.

Thank you. I can't believe there are posters who actually believe losing in OT is a good thing. Its better than losing in regulation, but losing is still bad.

The media is trying to sell the fanbase on how "we only have 5 regulation losses" as a good thing. It appears the media tactics have worked on some of the fans.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Disjointed and frustrated. This team looks confused and unsure of anything right now. Don't recognize them, actually. Goalies have been below average is probably the single biggest factor. Condon has cost us 3 points and Andy a couple as well with bonehead plays.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I can't believe that there are posters who view all losses the same way.

Quite an idiotic stance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad