Confirmed with Link: Sens sign Harpur to 2 year extension

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Potentially better than Claesson or Oduya?

I mean... that's not exactly a high bar to clear or anything.

He said "exactly" ... Hard to say "exactly" in all aspects... IMO he is a bottom 6 with top 4 upside .. That might take a while , and it may not come... I like Harpur and think he has top 4 potential... He isn't fast but he is not as slow as Phaneuf if we can use that as another Bar :laugh:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
A victim of Boucher and his love of bad veterans. He should be playing every night in Ottawa. He's physically more capable than all our D besides Karlsson and Chabot. Need to get him back playing lots if minutes ASAP. Future top 4D. Just needs more experience and to not play for a docile weaklingone Boucher who likes to watch his system get beat into the ground over and over.

Reactions: aragorn

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Cody Ceci is a Right Handed Shooting D Man, Ben Harpur shoots left.

The only D men, in Belleville that shoot right are Erik Burgdoerfer, Christian Jaros, Cody Donaghey & Macoy Erkamps.

I don't think any of these D men are ready to step into Cody Ceci's spot on the roster anytime soon.

The Senators protected Ceci for a reason this past spring, in the expansion draft. Don't you think that clearly indicated that they're planning on re-signing his this summer?

Right Handed Shooting D Man are in short supply right now in the NHL, why do you think there's been so much talk of other teams inquiring if Dorion wants to trade him?

If Cody Ceci is as terrible as some "fans" seem to think he is, then why is there so much interest in him, around the league????

I don't think Ceci is garbage or anything like that, I'm not one who paints him as a black and white POS, he's a mixed bag of being able to competently fill minutes, but not overwhelmingly good at it either imo. I know that a Ben Harpur signing doesnt have much of any impact to Ceci. Like I followed up with on the next post, I was mostly joking about Harpur replacing him.

Its not about Ceci himself, its what we can afford and what I think we should prioritize. We have to re-sign Stone, Karlsson, Duchene & Ceci. I don't think we can afford all four, so I personally want Ceci being made the lowest priority wherever that leaves us because I feel those are bigger holes to fill, if there's room after those guys are signed and Hoffman is kept, by all means re-sign him. I know the argument of what he does for us and the hole we then need to fill, I don't deny that, just that imo we have more important players we can't let go. Will that potentially make our team worse at the moment? Sure, but we only have so much money to spend and in my mind Stone, Karlsson, Duchene & Hoffman should all be kept over him *if* we in fact can't afford them all. I would be okay with shedding players like Smith, Pageau, etc. to make room for Ceci, but not those 4 I listed, just imo.

I also agree with you that he has value around the league, so it makes him a more appealing piece to trade to a team that can afford to give him his raise and term without sacrificing other players like we probably have to.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
My guess: Phaneuf with a large but shorter contract coming back.
I don’t think so. Bonktastic and another poster (forget who ) convinced me that’s not that smart. And as I am actually Pierre dorion i won’t do it.

But seriously. Binktastic and other poster are right. Trading him for another bad player with a bad contract makes zero sense. If he was a problem player fine. But he isn’t.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Paying the big boys on the backs of 5/6/7/ d men and 3rd and 4th liners just means that you are being more frugal with serviceable role players, allowing you to spend the big bucks for the top performers. Gone are the days when you are overpaying 3rd and 4th liners who can be replaced for the minimum minutes they play. Depth has its privileges in this regard!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Paying the big boys on the backs of 5/6/7/ d men and 3rd and 4th liners just means that you are being more frugal with serviceable role players, allowing you to spend the big bucks for the top performers. Gone are the days when you are overpaying 3rd and 4th liners who can be replaced for the minimum minutes they play. Depth has its privileges in this regard!

Ok. I read it and wasn’t sure about what you were saying. Thanks.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I don’t think so. Bonktastic and another poster (forget who ) convinced me that’s not that smart. And as I am actually Pierre dorion i won’t do it.

But seriously. Binktastic and other poster are right. Trading him for another bad player with a bad contract makes zero sense. If he was a problem player fine. But he isn’t.

Only time will tell. :)

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Harpur played well when he was sheltered on the third pairing. That's pretty much where he would stay as an NHLer. Decent deal.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I don't think Ceci is garbage or anything like that, I'm not one who paints him as a black and white POS, he's a mixed bag of being able to competently fill minutes, but not overwhelmingly good at it either imo. I know that a Ben Harpur signing doesnt have much of any impact to Ceci. Like I followed up with on the next post, I was mostly joking about Harpur replacing him.

Its not about Ceci himself, its what we can afford and what I think we should prioritize. We have to re-sign Stone, Karlsson, Duchene & Ceci. I don't think we can afford all four, so I personally want Ceci being made the lowest priority wherever that leaves us because I feel those are bigger holes to fill, if there's room after those guys are signed and Hoffman is kept, by all means re-sign him. I know the argument of what he does for us and the hole we then need to fill, I don't deny that, just that imo we have more important players we can't let go. Will that potentially make our team worse at the moment? Sure, but we only have so much money to spend and in my mind Stone, Karlsson, Duchene & Hoffman should all be kept over him *if* we in fact can't afford them all. I would be okay with shedding players like Smith, Pageau, etc. to make room for Ceci, but not those 4 I listed, just imo.

I also agree with you that he has value around the league, so it makes him a more appealing piece to trade to a team that can afford to give him his raise and term without sacrificing other players like we probably have to.

Pierre Dorion protected Ceci for the Expansion draft, and some "fans" saw this as giving away Methot for nothing.

Whomever was selected would have gone "for nothing" .

Some "fans" even suggested that the 33 year old (this year) should have been protected instead of the (just turned in Dec) 24 year old Ceci.

I just don't see Dorion trading away a young Right Handed shooting Ceci, who has been the second most TOI D man over the past two seasons, with no one ready to step into his "role" in the top 4 D, after protecting him over Methot and others, last spring.

Obviously Dorion sees Ceci as part of the future, and that's why he was protected, and feels he can sign him this summer.

Pretty sure the Owner is behind the GM on his "plan" for the Senators after all that has happened in the last 24 hours.

However, if Dorion gets an offer he can't refuse, pretty much every player could be moved, for the right return.

Reactions: aragorn

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
After sleeping on this news and waking up refreshed, and with a clear head after my morning coffee, I feel comfortable and confident in my conclusion that upon further reflection of this contract extension, that Ben Harpur is a large human being.

Reactions: pzeeman

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Weak signing. Another max McCormick deal. Should be one or two-year two-way deal, signed in July. Has this team learned nothing?

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
2 year 1 way deal at $650,000 and $800,00, league minimum basically, seems a pretty reasonable price for a guy that we know can play and can still develop. Even on a one way a buyout would pretty nominal. I think its a pretty decent reward for someone we've developed like mighty max too. Works if we're rebuilding or spending to the cap next year too. Congrats Big Ben

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Pierre Dorion protected Ceci for the Expansion draft, and some "fans" saw this as giving away Methot for nothing.

Whomever was selected would have gone "for nothing" .

Some "fans" even suggested that the 33 year old (this year) should have been protected instead of the (just turned in Dec) 24 year old Ceci.

I just don't see Dorion trading away a young Right Handed shooting Ceci, who has been the second most TOI D man over the past two seasons, with no one ready to step into his "role" in the top 4 D, after protecting him over Methot and others, last spring.

Obviously Dorion sees Ceci as part of the future, and that's why he was protected, and feels he can sign him this summer.

Pretty sure the Owner is behind the GM on his "plan" for the Senators after all that has happened in the last 24 hours.

However, if Dorion gets an offer he can't refuse, pretty much every player could be moved, for the right return.
Ceci is terrible

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO this is a good signing, low cost for potential & future play. Harpur s huge at 6'6" which bodes well for moving players in front of the net, blocking shots, even going to the front of the net on the PP. In junior he was a decent point producer & in his first rookie tournament led the entire tournament in scoring & not just his team. In Bingo last yr he was also known to put up pts & they did well with him in the lineup. Unfortunately last yr Randy Lee told him not to fight so much which IMO was a huge mistake given this team is so soft & needs a little more physicality in the lineup.

Harpur brings an element of toughness, grit & could be a Phaneuf replacement. He's a decent skater, has a nice wrist shot to the net that's usually about 2' off the ice which is great for tips. He can hit, he can fight, he can put up some pts, he's good defensively & decent offensively & should fit in nicely on the 3rd pairing with 2nd pairing potential. The way Boro plays the Sens will need someone like Claesson to step in everytime he gets hurts. The Sens should also have Jaros, Englund, Lajoie & Wolanin in Belleville next yr as callups who IMO could all be good NHL defencemen someday. There is also the possibility that PD signs a UFA D or that he trades for one or gets another D prospect in deals & most likely will probably draft a D or two in this yr's draft.

Chabot - Karlsson
Harpur - Ceci
Claesson - Boroweicki

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Waiver exempt and "one way/two way" have nothing to do with each other.

He will not be waivers exempt next year, but it has nothing to do with this contract extension. It is because he will have played 3 pro seasons under an NHL contract (the max allowed for players who start in the AHL as a 20 year old).

This year (2017/18) is his last season as a waiver-exempt player, regardless of where he plays next year or how much he makes. If he would have signed a 2-way deal, he would still have needed to go through waivers.

Basically , the natural selection of events, isn't it? This contract is more a good bye to Harpur if it doesn't pan out, because it will be a way to unload him. The pressure is really on for next year. Isn't this what happened with Hoffman when he was waived and not on a 2 way?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad