Confirmed with Link: Sens sign Harpur to 2 year extension

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Hopefully this means they're preparing to move on from Ceci.

Cody Ceci is a Right Handed Shooting D Man, Ben Harpur shoots left.

The only D men, in Belleville that shoot right are Erik Burgdoerfer, Christian Jaros, Cody Donaghey & Macoy Erkamps.

I don't think any of these D men are ready to step into Cody Ceci's spot on the roster anytime soon.

The Senators protected Ceci for a reason this past spring, in the expansion draft. Don't you think that clearly indicated that they're planning on re-signing his this summer?

Right Handed Shooting D Man are in short supply right now in the NHL, why do you think there's been so much talk of other teams inquiring if Dorion wants to trade him?

If Cody Ceci is as terrible as some "fans" seem to think he is, then why is there so much interest in him, around the league????

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Cody Ceci is a Right Handed Shooting D Man, Ben Harpur shoots left.

The only D men, in Belleville that shoot right are Erik Burgdoerfer, Christian Jaros, Cody Donaghey & Macoy Erkamps.

I don't think any of these D men are ready to step into Cody Ceci's spot on the roster anytime soon.

The Senators protected Ceci for a reason this past spring, in the expansion draft. Don't you think that clearly indicated that they're planning on re-signing his this summer?

Right Handed Shooting D Man are in short supply right now in the NHL, why do you think there's been so much talk of other teams inquiring if Dorion wants to trade him?

If Cody Ceci is as terrible as some "fans" seem to think he is, then why is there so much interest in him, around the league????

Please read the Cody Ceci thread, no need to rehash the exact same argument over and over in every thread.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Signing Harpur really doesn't mean all that much going forward. The only curious part is why did this have to happen now? Couldn't Dorion have waited until the off-season? .

Hummmmmm, with TDD quickly approaching, don't you think that locking up some depth players is a pretty prudent move?

Dorion can possibly trade a D man or two, and if unsigned, Harpur's value goes up within the Organization, and may have been able to demand more than what he signed for.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Pretty sure he would have been a RFA (I could be wrong though), so the team has all the leverage here, the player really has none.

If this signing means one of Phaneuf or Ceci will be gone, I am completely fine with it, if not, then this org just keeps spinning its wheels on defence, just like its been doing for years. Way too many Multi year, one-way contracts to marginal NHLers.
He is ,but there is risk to not giving into the player as well...The same reasoning would likely be the case with Macormick ..
A small token one way deal allows a player the team wants to keep,to just focus on developing.Even though it may be at the AHL level,also the deal offers some protection from other teams looking to poach a promising younger player

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Waiver exempt and "one way/two way" have nothing to do with each other.

He will not be waivers exempt next year, but it has nothing to do with this contract extension. It is because he will have played 3 pro seasons under an NHL contract (the max allowed for players who start in the AHL as a 20 year old).

This year (2017/18) is his last season as a waiver-exempt player, regardless of where he plays next year or how much he makes. If he would have signed a 2-way deal, he would still have needed to go through waivers.

Yeah, I think it has something to do with the number of years/seasons after a prospect turns pro???

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Sounds like a pretty insignificant. If didn’t have like 6 other ones. Why the two year. Why the one way.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Hummmmmm, with TDD quickly approaching, don't you think that locking up some depth players is a pretty prudent move?

Dorion can possibly trade a D man or two, and if unsigned, Harpur's value goes up within the Organization, and may have been able to demand more than what he signed for.
Which d men are moving?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Please read the Cody Ceci thread, no need to rehash the exact same argument over and over in every thread.

Would do gladly, but please explain the logic of protecting him (E Draft) and not having anyone to take his "role" as a Rhd D man on the roster, if traded, first.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Yeah, I think it has something to do with the number of years/seasons after a prospect turns pro???

There are two thresholds.
1) the number of years you are under an NHL standard player contract after you have played your first pro game
(in Harpur's case, that number is 3 years)

2) The number of NHL games you have played in your career. This number varies based on when you signed your first NHL SPC.
(in Harpur's case, that number is 160 games)

Waiver eligibility kicks in as soon as one of these two thresholds are met. In Harpur's case, he will have 3 pro seasons under his belt as of the end of this year, so next year he is waivers eligible.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
In the end ,its a token deal for a defender that still has some very nice upside

Yeah, I'm fine with it.

It's almost the NHL minimum as far as salary is concerned, it's only 2 years, and his entire cap hit (though not his actual salary) comes off the cap if we ever have to send him down for any reason (assuming he clears waivers).

The risk is minuscule, and he's shown the potential to be a decent bottom pairing guy.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

If we are so displeased with a 24(ish) year old defenceman that we are at the point of waiving him, we probably at that point (in the hypothetical world where Harpur sucks so bad that we try to send him down) don't value him enough to miss him if anyone else picked him up.

Like, I'm sure the Blues would have rathered that Paajarvi clear waivers, but I also don't think that their organization is scrambling desperately to fill that massive hole on their roster, either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad