Confirmed with Link: Sens sign Greening to 3 year extension (AAV 2.65/year)

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Hopefully we're sticking him on roids or something. When he's aggressive he reminds me of a Bertuzzi type (in his prime). He's almost invisible when not raging out there. We need him raging

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
This guy will be a midget by the time his new contract ends. When I first read his bio he was 6'4" then he shrunk to 6'3" and now he's 6'2". Maybe he should be paid on a reducing scale. ;)

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
I've been calling for a Greening - Spezza - Ryan line as well. It just makes sense to me.

Last edited:

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
^^agreed.

and i was terrified that someone would offer greening a clarkson-type stupid deal if he ended up on a line with spezza and ryan all year.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
also, dan cleary, who some were wondering if he'd even get another nhl deal, is apparently about to get 100k more than greening (according to helene st james a few minutes ago) from the flyers.

good day for newfie nhlers i guess.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
re-watched that playoff game where we crushed montreal in ottawa.

he was hitting everything that moved and was causing turnovers. i remember him being much more consistently physical last season, and absolutely outstanding all playoffs. if he keeps that up and continues to put up 35+ points, i'm extremely happy with this deal. if he reverts to the 35 points, inconsistent physical player he was before, it's still a fair contract.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
also, dan cleary, who some were wondering if he'd even get another nhl deal, got 100k more than greening a few minutes ago from the flyers.

good day for newfie nhlers i guess.

Where are the Flyers getting this money from?

They were already $2.05mil over the cap. Even if you take away Pronger's $5mil LTIR cap space, and add Cleary's $2.75, you're left with barely enough room to make an injury call-up.

They have to move a defenceman at some point. Impending Meszaros trade in the works?

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
it's the flyers. Reason shouldnt apply. (though yes, a meszaros trade seems imminent if the cleary signing is true)

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Hopefully we're sticking him on roids or something. When he's aggressive he reminds me of a Bertuzzi type (in his prime). He's almost invisible when not raging out there. We need him raging

Obviously we should arrange for him to be pranked before every game by the cast of "Jackass". If they can't make him angry, no one can.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I suggested 3 X 2.35 in a thread a while ago would be fair value based on the comparable player contracts

Not far off, kind of proud of myself actually.

Totally worth it.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
whether or not we have up and coming prospects. Greening still plays a hell of a role in the bottom 6. We have a lot of top 6 potential that still needs development. Most of the bottom 6 potential are not as skilled, big, fast, or experienced as Greening. Plus, Pageau needs a big winger. I see nothing wrong with the signing.

The Fuhr*

Could have saved 7.95M by not extending him and promoting one of the dozens of talented prospects in the system. But then that'd mean the team is bankrupt and the sky is falling... Oh wait.

Michalek makes 6.0 cash this season... His reduction in salary next year will cover the Greening raise.

We don't really have many players with Greenings skill set, he was a must keep

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Michalek makes 6.0 cash this season... His reduction in salary next year will cover the Greening raise.

We don't really have many players with Greenings skill set, he was a must keep

Michalek reduction in salary? A pending UFA, who everyone at camp is marveling at in terms of skating and health and is slated to play on a line with Bobby Ryan and Jason Spezza is going to get a reduction in salary? Let's be reality. That's not happening.

As far as having guys with Greening's skill set, I assume you mean guys who can skate and have size? I see Robinson, Cowick, Karlsson, Grant and Dzuirzynski in Bingo. McCormick, Costello, Shore and Lazar incoming. Plenty of others who can be 3rd liners next year as well.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Michalek reduction in salary? A pending UFA, who everyone at camp is marveling at in terms of skating and health and is slated to play on a line with Bobby Ryan and Jason Spezza is going to get a reduction in salary? Let's be reality. That's not happening.

As far as having guys with Greening's skill set, I assume you mean guys who can skate and have size? I see Robinson, Cowick, Karlsson, Grant and Dzuirzynski in Bingo. McCormick, Costello, Shore and Lazar incoming. Plenty of others who can be 3rd liners next year as well.

I highly doubt Micahlek will be making 6+ million. Will his cap hit rise from 4.2? Quite likely, but his real income likely won't exceed the 6 million he is paid this year.

Greening helps this team now. Cowick? Karlsson? Robinson? These guys have never played in the league, and aside from being big, have nothing in common with Greening. Grant can't replace Greening, he is a Center, and DD will not be more than a fourth liner unless he is forced to be that. I see two guys taken in the late rounds of the last 3 drafts, a guy that may not even be signed, and a sure fire NHLer in Lazar. It is not very likely 3 of those guys sniff the NHL for 3+ years, if at all.

When any of these guys prove that they are upgrades, through the eventual call-ups, and AHL play, we can make room by trading someone. Greenings salary does not handcuff the Sens in any shape or form.

We are not going to be icing a team with 4+ rookies on it for the next several years. We will see 1-2 rookies cement a job.

Last edited:

The Fuhr*

Then Michalek won't be here next season cause he will price himself out if Ottawa if he's asking for 6+

In which case a guy like Greening is def needed especially with the prospects you listed... None of those guys fill what Greening brings

30-40Pts 150+Hits and the ability to play on every line

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I highly doubt Micahlek will be making 6+ million. Will his cap hit rise from 4.2? Quite likely, but his real income likely won't exceed the 6 million he is paid this year.

Greening helps this team now. Cowick? Karlsson? Robinson? These guys have never played in the league, and aside from being big, have nothing in common with Greening. Grant can't replace Greening, he is a Center, and DD will not be more than a fourth liner unless he is forced to be that. I see two guys taken in the late rounds of the last 3 drafts, a guy that may not even be signed, and a sure fire NHLer in Lazar. It is not very likely 3 of those guys sniff the NHL for 3+ years, if at all.

When any of these guys prove that they are upgrades, through the eventual call-ups, and AHL play, we can make room by trading someone. Greenings salary does not handcuff the Sens in any shape or form.

We are not going to be icing a team with 4+ rookies on it for the next several years. We will see 1-2 rookies cement a job.

Why would we be icing a team with 4+ rookies on it? I thought we were talking about one roster spot in the bottom 6. That roster spot can easily be replaced by guys I mentioned as early as next year. Grant already played LW at the NHL level. He's unlikely to ever get a center position on Ottawa and his skill set is more suited for the wing at this level. I didn't even bring Stone or Prince or Puempel into the conversation. Basically, half of Bingo's roster would be able to replace Greening's production by next season.

It's a fairly insignificant move altogether and I don't really care either way, I'm just a little puzzled as to why a team that is allegedly so cash strapped is handing out contracts like this to one of the most replaceable players on the entire roster. Perhaps the people who said the cash situation was overblown x10 were right? Or maybe we're all just losing our minds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad