Confirmed with Link: Sens sign Greening to 3 year extension (AAV 2.65/year)

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Yeah that's a solid deal, Greening can play anywhere in the line-up, he's big, he goes to the net well, he's a very versatile player for us. I'm happy!!! :handclap:

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Who's gonna wanna play here after how Alfie was treated? Oh just some very bright kid.

2.65m means Greening is still a free 1st line winger substitute when necessary, and he has the tools to contribute otherwise.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I like it, very tradable contract when he is replaced by Prince/Hoffman/Stone/Lazar/etc. on an entry level deal.

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
I like it, very tradable contract when he is replaced by Prince/Hoffman/Stone/Lazar/etc. on an entry level deal.
Doesn't kick in until next year, hence extension, so Prince/Hoffman/Stone will all be coming off their entry level deals. I don't think that's the plan anyhow.

If Greening has any sort of year, he would have gotten paid as a UFA. Murray is trying to project and save precious cap dollars like he did with Turris, Anderson, etc.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Looks like Senschirp was right, they were planning to extend Greening which IMO should end any trade talk regarding him. I wonder if Maclean would consider uniting him with Spezza & Michalek again or even in the top six for this season?

A good fair contract for both sides. :handclap:

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Doesn't kick in until next year, hence extension, so Prince/Hoffman/Stone will all be coming off their entry level deals. I don't think that's the plan anyhow.

If Greening has any sort of year, he would have gotten paid as a UFA. Murray is trying to project and save precious cap dollars like he did with Turris, Anderson, etc.

Even if they're coming off their ELC, they'll all be making under 1M, so the point stands.

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
Even if they're coming off their ELC, they'll all be making under 1M, so the point stands.

More likely that they'll be making over 1M. These are offensive players, and get paid more than utility guys like Greening. Plus Maclean loves Greening, so I have hard believing Greening will be the guy to go to save maybe 1M.

It will be guys like Michalek, and MacArthur leaving before Greening.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
More likely that they'll be making over 1M. These are offensive players, and get paid more than utility guys like Greening. Plus Maclean loves Greening, so I have hard believing Greening will be the guy to go to save maybe 1M.

It will be guys like Michalek, and MacArthur leaving before Greening.

You really think guys with under 5 games of NHL experience are going to make over 1M? Even if a couple of them stick this season, it's more likely O'Brien becomes captain.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
He has to take down his Steely Dan concert poster collection for every official photo because the marketing department has asked him to be "as hip as possible".

They may not be hip, but goddamned if they aren't amazing...

Also: nice deal for both Greening & the Sens. Greening is hedging his bets, as is the org. Good fair deal for both sides.

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
You really think guys with under 5 games of NHL experience are going to make over 1M? Even if a couple of them stick this season, it's more likely O'Brien becomes captain.

My guess is that Hoffman either plays his way on the team, and yes makes more than 1M on his next contract, or moves on to another organization.

Stone and Prince could sign a one year two-way contract, a one year low cap hit (like you are proposing), or have any sort of season, and will likely be signing a deal like Weircioch, possibly richer.

It doesn't take much these days for players to cash in if the timing is right. So ya, I'd bet on at least one of them breaking through this year and earning more than 1M.

Not really sure what your point is anyhow, if they're taking Greening's spot, or making him expendable to trade, then they would have to prove that they're legit NHLer's first and like I said would be getting paid more than the 1M dollars you are suggesting.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

For the (pedantic) record, here is a list of players within the organization, with under 5 games of NHL experience, whose contract pays them over $1mil in the NHL (if they make the team this year):

- Ludwig Karlsson ($1.475mil)
- Cody Ceci ($1.37mil)
- Buddy Robinson ($1.225mil)
- Matt Puempel ($1.075mil)

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Karlsson and Robinson are basically free agent signings, which makes their case different as opposed to organizational contracts.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
2.65 isn't bad. The pressure is going to be on him to produce more consistently with that kind of pay though.

Hopefully he's up to it!

Greening isn't really a consistent producer though. That said, he brings hard work every game, and he's a good defensive player too. Even if he doesn't get 15 goals a season (which would be great for him), he brings a lot of value.

Also, he's not injury prone, and he's a big guy, so he can be relied on to play most if not all of the season.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Karlsson and Robinson are basically free agent signings, which makes their case different as opposed to organizational contracts.

They're also probably never going to make the roster on their current contracts. MAYBE Robinson in the 3rd year, as a call up.

Too many guys ahead of them over the next 2 years, unless either show a significant progress in their development. By the time they're close to the roster, they'll be on their 2nd SPC's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad