Confirmed with Link: Sens sign Chris Kelly (1 yr $900,000)

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
My Chris Kelly player tee has become relevant again! :)

I was a big fanboy of him.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I've been reading the Kelly thread on Boston forum.

I'm worried boys.

900K probably doesn't matter, but if his wheels are gone and the coach just keeps playing him despite his mediocre faceoffs and uninspired PKing it will get very frustrating.

Hope for the best I guess. Who knows, maybe a year off let his body heal a bit.

If he's not good enough, he becomes our 13th forward for like 6/7 months and then we cut him loose in the offseason.

The only risk is if Boucher plays favorites, but it's not like he and Kelly have history or anything.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Thinking we signed him more for his brain, rather than what he can do for us on the ice .We have the kids that need to be able to learn and Kelley will be able to sometimes show them. But will ABSOLUTELY be able to tell them:handclap:

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
Remember when Spezza, Fisher and Vermette all got injured within a week and Kelly was centering Alfi and Heatley? I think he was a point per game player for a while.

It was not the turn around point of that season but I was an important moment where we gathered momentum for the second half.

KwanTuM

Aug 16, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Plus, who else is gonna lend his skates to our next underachieving forward?

Also if I'm not mistaken:

Chris Kelly --> 2nd round pick --> Shane Prince -->3rd round pick --> 12 to 11 --> Logan Brown

Resign Chris Kelly

What kind of mastermind...

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
If he's not good enough, he becomes our 13th forward for like 6/7 months and then we cut him loose in the offseason.

The only risk is if Boucher plays favorites, but it's not like he and Kelly have history or anything.

I kinda hope Boucher does play favorites. Hoffman might actually get the minutes he deserves then hah

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
It will be interesting to see if he does a segue into coaching soon. I think everyone from both the Sens and the Bruins assumes it will be the next step in his career.

Would be kind of nice to see him do it within the organization.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
Plus, who else is gonna lend his skates to our next underachieving forward?

Also if I'm not mistaken:

Chris Kelly --> 2nd round pick --> Shane Prince -->3rd round pick --> 12 to 11 --> Logan Brown

Resign Chris Kelly

What kind of mastermind...

Oh man, you digged deep for that one. Wasn't it Alfie who just caught fire after trying Kelly's skates?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Kelly was pretty terrible last year before his injury and didn't get any younger since then.
And as mentioned, he is not good at faceoffs, at all. 45% in the last 2 years.

Last two years he's actually 48.3%. You can't just add 11 games fo% to 82 games worth and divide by 2.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
I love this signing.

I have zero issue with Lazar or Paul beign in Bingo.

Right now I think Smith-Pageau-Lazar could be a fine 3rd line.

That lives Dzingel/Puempel-Kelly-Neil as the 4th.

I'd even be fine with rolling the bottom 6 as:
Smith-Pageau-Dzingel
Pyatt-Kelly-Neil

with AHL first line:
Puempel-Paul-Lazar

I know this opinion won't be popular as that 4th line is pretty bleak, but I think Dzingel fits into the 3rd line well and I'd rather try and develop a scoring game amongst Pumpel/Paul/Lazar to start the season than have them play on the 4th line.

ToastrStutzle

Feb 1, 2016
Ottawa
I like the signing in theory but a lot of people here are remembering Chris Kelly for what he was. His production this year will probably be very very low. He's turning 36 and when you get that old coming back from a major injury is incredibly difficult to do.

I get the whole thing about him being a role player and a veteran in the dressing room which is great, but I foresee him spending time in the press box when about half way through the season he gets rotated out for youth and speed.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Low risk, but I wanted a 3rd line RW, not a 4th line C/LW.

I would have been happier with Pirri or Versteeg on the 3rd. Oh well, Kelly was a great team player when here, and if he's recovered, and can skate, I'm happy to have him aboard.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Gonna be pretty cool seeing people rock their Kelly jerseys to games.

I hope we can do something like this with Spezza in a few years, ill fanboy hard.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Low risk, medium reward signing.

Love this deal. Now if we could just get Versteeg to round out the bottom six:

Puempel/Paul/Dzingel-Pageau-Versteeg
Smith-Kelly-Lazar

Even if he doesn't perform well, 900k is nothing,

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
:laugh:
He's been done for 3-4 years. This is clearly Murray returning a favour after Kelly showed up at a Celebration for Bryan and whispering in Pierre's ear.

Hopefully he doesn't cost us too many games with his footspeed.
:popcorn:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad