Rumor: Sens rumor Heard on "The Power Play" with Steve Kouleas

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I can't see it happening but hey its 2020. Imagine having Lafreniere, Stutzle and Rossi!! Crazy :)

ShoddyBareFalcon-size_restricted.gif

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
I'd do Tkachuck and the 5th for 1st but including the 3rd is just too much IMO. Tkachuck is a known quantity in the NHL by now, both others may have higher potential but they've yet to prove they can keep it up in the NHL. We've seen plenty of high ranked players barely make an impact.

I have a feeling Tkachuck won't want to sign here under Melnyk ownership.

Reactions: Taluss

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I'd do Tkachuck and the 5th for 1st but including the 3rd is just too much IMO. Tkachuck is a known quantity in the NHL by now, both others may have higher potential but they've yet to prove they can keep it up in the NHL. We've seen plenty of high ranked players barely make an impact.

I have a feeling Tkachuck won't want to sign here under Melnyk ownership.
That’s what people said about chabot. It’s a non issue

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
But for Melnyk a big contract with signing bonus or Laf for helping to grow offer for a potential sale
Laf will earn 4M next year with bonuses and 4 years from now he will be higher paid than Brady. The financial argument doesn’t hold water. Nobody is making a decision to buy an NHL franchise because of a very good player.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Laf will earn 4M next year with bonuses and 4 years from now he will be higher paid than Brady. The financial argument doesn’t hold water. Nobody is making a decision to buy an NHL franchise because of a very good player.

Lafreniere might be the only player we could draft that would sell more tickets than Tkachuk for this team on name alone.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Maybe the Rangers want to move the pick if there is that much chatter. Laf would be a great fit in LA.

MCNSTY

Sep 15, 2020
If we had Laf and were as bad as last year attendance would suck. Winning sells tickets, unless you are playing Boucher hockey.
This is correct.

the average hockey fan does not care about ownership issues, past trades, etc. - they care about entertainment value.

When times are tough, the base is heavily relied on - unfortunately, there is hardly a base here anymore - which is why attendance is where it is at currently.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If you think the situations are remotely comparable then I don’t know what to tell you.
They are obviously different, just as Chabot and Tkachuk are different people with potentially different motivations. We signed Stone to a 1 year deal as an RFA, making it pretty clear that he was not 100% sold on sticking around. If the same reasons that made Stone hesitant to stick around have Tkachuk questioning his future, his options are different. He could sign an offersheet, which I'm sure lots of teams would consider if he were open to it. On the flip side, the prospects we have, along with the picks make the future look brighter than perhaps they did after we had two consecutive bottom of the barrel seasons.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If we had Laf and were as bad as last year attendance would suck. Winning sells tickets, unless you are playing Boucher hockey.
Sure, I agree with that, but if we're winning with a 1st OA french Canadian phenom leading the way, that helps sell tickets in a market across the river that we've had difficulty cracking. there's no guarantees, Daigle backfired spectacularly, but the potential is there.

Reactions: Crosside and Taluss

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
I can honestly say I would hate this trade.

I love Laf don't get me wrong. But Brady is a guy who this community has just embraced and loved, and for the organization to send yet ANOTHER loved member of this community away would just be digging the team deeper.

I love the way Laf plays and know he will be an all star but do I expect he will be as involved in the community or as loved by the community as Tkachuk? I don't think so. This has way more to do away from the ice then on it.

Keep Brady and build around him with 2 more elite players then deal him and another elite talent for just one star player.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I would not give super high end pieces like Chabot, Tkachuk or 5th OA to move up from 3rd OA to 1st OA. Lafreniere will be great but Stutzle and Byfield are going to be great as well. There's not such a potential difference to give up Takchuk or the 5th OA. It would not be worth it for the Sens.

If the Rangers absolutely want to flip with Ottawa's 3rd OA (because they could also think that there's not that much difference from #1 to #3), then my offer would max at #3 + #28 + #33 + Balcers/Thomson

We'd have to be much higher on Lafreniere than Byfield/Stutzle to justify giving up basically 3 first round picks to move up these 2 spots.

If these 2 conditions from the Sens and Rangers are not met, just stay the course and draft one of Stutzle/Byfield and one of Raymond/Drysdale/Rossi/Sanderson/Perfetti/Holtz

I don't believe any of these rumors.

But if Tkachuk really is on the table, for any trade, it means we don't think we can sign him after his ELC. And if that's the case, Lafreniere or not, this franchise will be in the toilet for the forseeable future.

Exactly, and if that's the case then all we could do is wait that Melnyk decides to sell (and without getting his minimum price) and that an arena downtown is under construction. How long would we have to wait is the question.

Nothing is certain under Melnyk ownership anymore. Re-signing players was less of a worry before but in the last few years it seems that Melnyk has decided to not lose a cent with the Sens anymore. The Sens internal budget hasn't continued to rise with the rest of the league for many years now.

If we wanted to turn things around with the previous core, we would have needed to invest at least 15-20 M$ more a year (new contracts, updgrade roster weaknesses, coaching staff, etc). Going into a full rebuild was convenient to avoid "losing money" because Melnyk didn't want to gamble on making the playoffs to break even.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011

Chabot doesn't have the Tkachuck "family" behind him. Tkachuk's agent also has Mark Stone and Erik Karlsson as his premier clients so he's more than familiar with the Sens org. No way should Brady take a home town discount for the Sens, he strikes me as a guy that wants to win at all costs and it's been clear that this hasn't been the Sens priority for a while now. I don't think these guys want anything to do with a team that can't even pay their HC.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Chabot doesn't have the Tkachuck "family" behind him. Tkachuk's agent also has Mark Stone and Erik Karlsson as his premier clients so he's more than familiar with the Sens org. No way should Brady take a home town discount for the Sens, he strikes me as a guy that wants to win at all costs and it's been clear that this hasn't been the Sens priority for a while now. I don't think these guys want anything to do with a team that can't even pay their HC.
The Tkachuk’s will ensure Brady gets his money. The father and brother have both held out to get theirs. They all love hockey but it’s a business first and foremost. I think it takes an escalating 6-8 year contract which escalated and has an AAV to sign him for more than 3 years. They will have no issues hunting the best offer sheet possible after next season and the Sens are fully aware of this. Big contract coming IMO.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
When Chabot was signed to an 8 year deal, we all celebrated as if it were some sort of huge win for the franchise. That deal was a tap in putt for 30 other franchises. The fact that the most no-brainer deals are considered as monumental occasions in Ottawa makes me very nervous about a Tkachuk extension. Expect to see him sign a deal similar to his brother's.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I didn’t say anything about a hometown discount. It’s hard to even project what a fair contract would be for him at this time. I don’t think it will be as much as chabot. Chabot has an experienced agent as well, these guys aren’t dumb.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
When Chabot was signed to an 8 year deal, we all celebrated as if it were some sort of huge win for the franchise. That deal was a tap in putt for 30 other franchises. The fact that the most no-brainer deals are considered as monumental occasions in Ottawa makes me very nervous about a Tkachuk extension. Expect to see him sign a deal similar to his brother's.
The richest team in the league only signed their top player for 5 years. Every player is different

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
The Tkachuk’s will ensure Brady gets his money. The father and brother have both held out to get theirs. They all love hockey but it’s a business first and foremost. I think it takes an escalating 6-8 year contract which escalated and has an AAV to sign him for more than 3 years. They will have no issues hunting the best offer sheet possible after next season and the Sens are fully aware of this. Big contract coming IMO.
There will be no offer sheets during these tough times.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
I didn’t say anything about a hometown discount. It’s hard to even project what a fair contract would be for him at this time. I don’t think it will be as much as chabot. Chabot has an experienced agent as well, these guys aren’t dumb.

And as an experienced agent who has his clients best interest in mind, do you really see ANY of them recommending the Melnyk owned Senators? Most players don't have the talent and backing that Tkachuk does, if a player can hold out to force a trade it's him. No other team would question his character if it was about leaving the Sens specifically. The org was a disaster before this pandemic and will be an even bigger disaster after if Melnyk keeps hanging on for deal life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad