Confirmed with Link: Sens re-sign Jacob Bernard-Docker (2 years, $805,000 AAV)

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Has JBD passed Brannstrom as the guy who moves into the top 4 when there are injuries. I was looking at TOI since Brannstrom came back.
If this is how he’s going to play going forward, adding those hits into the mix too? Then yes in my opinion.

Though to qualify, he does play the side we need and looks to be developing into the exact style we need as well.

I’m really pulling for this kid as he is starting to show glimpses of that vaunted Zub 2.0 that we need.

If Kleven can become a player as well we could start to see our D be sorted internally.

Reactions: aragorn and Cosmix

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Has JBD passed Brannstrom as the guy who moves into the top 4 when there are injuries. I was looking at TOI since Brannstrom came back.
Only because of his handedness, I would think.

Branny is a better player than JBD at the moment and most likely will always transition the puck better but if JBD can actually become a good defensive D, that would be massive for the team.

Reactions: DrEasy and Bileur

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

LHD vs RHD?

From what I see, Brannstrom hasn't played a minute on RD this season (and we know the DJ Dorion era reluctance about it) so they are not competing with each others at all.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
LHD vs RHD?

From what I see, Brannstrom hasn't played a minute on RD this season (and we know the DJ Dorion era reluctance about it) so they are not competing with each others at all.
Well they kind of are due to lack of cap space to carry 7 D unless a move is made to free up space.

Reactions: aragorn

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
No, I think it's just an alignment of LD and RD..

Reactions: Bileur

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I think context is important, DJ likes keeping his pairings as much as possible, Zub is Sanderson's partner, Harmonic is Brannstroms. JBD is a callup, and has slotted into Chabots spot, so while he's there he'll get lots of 5v5 time. Does DJ move JBD into Hamonics spot when Chabot returns, idk, but I do know that Hamonic is the first guy over the boards every time we go on the PK, while JBD is option 5 among D. Chabot isn't a pk guy either, and neither is Chychrun, so that leaves us one trusted guy short. My experience tells me PK matters to coaches, what does yours tell you?
DJ played Hammer with Sandy for a few games, and JBD on third pair, when wasn’t working, switched them. ( not talking about PK, since convo didn’t start there)

Last edited:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I think fisher fought quite a bit more.

Edit: looking back, you're right. He had 39 career fights over 19 seasons. Just over 2 per year.

Harmonic has 55 career fights in 15 years. 3-4 per year.

Its funny how I remember fisher as a much more physical player than harmonic.

Maybe its because he's only fought once in the 3 years he's been in Ottawa.

He has years of 8 and 7 and 7 fights. Makes me wonder why he's so hesitant to step up with such a young team and not many fighters and other teams constantly going after guys like timmie or Sanderson after the whistles.

Fisher didn't fight that much, he always did it for a reason or when he was furious. He was tough as nails too, didn't really lose, perhaps because he only fought when he was furious.

Probably why we remember him fighting more than he did. They were memorable.

Reactions: luiginb and DrEasy

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Fisher didn't fight that much, he always did it for a reason or when he was furious. He was tough as nails too, didn't really lose, perhaps because he only fought when he was furious.

Probably why we remember him fighting more than he did. They were memorable.
Feels like he was in a lot of scrums though.

Zack Smith was another guy who always seemed to be in the mix after the whistle.

Some guys just skate to the bench, or skate towards it before looking back to see if they are needed.

Some guys don’t look to the bench at all until the dust has settled.

Reactions: Cosmix

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Fisher was pretty strong & a very decent fighter, I don't remember Fisher ever losing a fight. Remember when he body slammed Handzus who was 6'5", 216 lbs.

Bieska was a pretty tough guy & good fighter & Fisher went toe to toe with him & Bieska lost a tooth. Fisher also went toe to toe with Tom Wilson & held his own, Fisher was tough as nails.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He's played better lately, but still sub-par. Don't think he's a long term solution.
Well he is an NHL rookie and is visibly improving. D men take longer and I think he needed to get stronger. I have no issues with him as a bottom pair guy if he continues to build on this. When he makes 800 k and not make many mistakes thats a decent value bottom pair d man.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
JBD has had the biggest improvement in play so far this season out of everyone in my opinion.

Grieg too, but he was pretty good last season as well.

He won’t get the accolades right now because he isn’t noticeable, but if he keeps the hits and blocked shots up he’ll start to get some love. It doesn’t help that he was playing with Chych who was doing his best to cough up pucks constantly the last few games.

We need someone to school Chabby and Chych on D zone play. JBD has the UND structure and positioning in him, you can see it in his play. He has pretty good defensive instincts, just needs to get stronger, and build his confidence. I can help but feel like guys are often not where they are supposed to be in the D zone. So often the D are making what look like set plays to move the puck and there are no forwards there to collect the pass…

He looks to have the potential to be our second Zub back there.

Reactions: Cosmix and Que

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Players like JBD are never going to get the fan support because they don't play a flashy game or score a lot of goals that most fans, expecially young fans think every player should be doing to stay in the NHL. They don't care or even understand about player roles & what coaches are telling players like him they want them to do given he is a rookie & he's not really yet fully trusted by the coaching staff.

As he gets more comfortable they will trust him more, but he's never going to be noticed by fans, he's there to reduce the goals against, that's it, stop the other team from scoring against us. He does need to gain more man strength & be stronger to push guys around instead of getting pushed around. Hopefully he improves yr over yr, he's already better now than just a few weeks ago.

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
Players like JBD are never going to get the fan support because they don't play a flashy game or score a lot of goals that most fans, expecially young fans think every player should be doing to stay in the NHL. They don't care or even understand about player roles & what coaches are telling players like him they want them to do given he is a rookie & he's not really yet fully trusted by the coaching staff.

As he gets more comfortable they will trust him more, but he's never going to be noticed by fans, he's there to reduce the goals against, that's it, stop the other team from scoring against us. He does need to gain more man strength & be stronger to push guys around instead of getting pushed around. Hopefully he improves yr over yr, he's already better now than just a few weeks ago.
I dunno, Zub is a fan favourite and isn’t too flashy, just a steady, reliable, skilled defensive player. Especially in a place like Ottawa, less flashy d first players (and gritty lunch pailers) seem to get a good share of love from fans. JBD hasn’t got that yet because he still makes timid plays, actively avoids contact, and makes poor decisions fairly often.

But agreed- he’s making great progress imo. I think he’ll be where he needs to be by the end of the season. I imagine fans will start praising his play when we see those issues less often, even if he remains a no flash steady d presence.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I'm not really much of a Chabot fan, but it's JBD or Hamonic out when Chabot returns. JBD is coming along, but Chabot makes things happen. And we need that. Neither JBD or Hamonic make things happen on the ice

Reactions: DrEasy

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
1st test for Staios. If he is smart, which I think he is, we'll go to 12 forwards and 7 D on our capped out roster. JBD should play, Hamonic in the press box, but that's DJ's call.

If Staios loses JBD on waivers, I'll start to question him, but I don't think that'll happen.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
He has been better lately so now I want to see more.
But… I also want to see guennette and Kleven by next year

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
1st test for Staios. If he is smart, which I think he is, we'll go to 12 forwards and 7 D on our capped out roster. JBD should play, Hamonic in the press box, but that's DJ's call.

If Staios loses JBD on waivers, I'll start to question him, but I don't think that'll happen.

There's absolutely no reason to not send some of Highmore, Kelly and MacEwen, Even Chartier but he's safe for now with Greig and Kastelic not back. Jarventie needs to be the first sent back, he needs development and to play big minutes in the AHL

He has been better lately so now I want to see more.
But… I also want to see guennette and Kleven by next year

Agreed, I'd like to see some Guenette games but Kleven needs to play the whole year down there, same for Jarventie. Can't miss out on developing adequately some of our last few good prospects.

Reactions: Icelevel

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
JBD after his 1st NHL goal game
“I probably celebrated it like I’ve never scored one in my life,”
“Playing with Sandy is a lot of fun. I played with him a little bit in college,” said Bernard-Docker. “He makes it really on me. He’s such a good skater and he’s so good at both ends of the ice. He honestly makes me look way better than I am.”
Humble and honest.

Reactions: DrEasy

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Love that he got his first one and hope he establishes himself as a legitimate 3rd pairing option for us all year long.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I am glad JBD took his demotion after training camp in stride and looked decent in his role. I think with enough games he can iron out the decisions he is sometimes incorrectly making. He looks better than Hammer for whom the game is getting faster than him.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
1702074621656.jpeg

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Outside of Joseph he has been this years biggest and best surprise. Loving the way his game is evolving now that he is getting more comfortable and confident. He seems like a great partner for Sanderson. Sandy is obviously very comfortable with him. Could this be a Lindgren Fox situation? Where one guy is so talented that he is comfortable with a specific partner and it elevates that player and allows the star to play their best game?

Right handed shot D men that can play in the top 4 are few and far between. This west coast road trip will be a great test to see where JBD is at.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad