Sens players you forgot about...

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Ted Donato
Nelson Emerson

Those are great ones. Pretty well known players but hard to remember in Senators uniforms.

Has Ron Tugnutt been mentioned?

He was a pretty big fan favourite during his time here. That goal that trickled through his glove is also a pretty high profile one in Sens history. Would be a bit surprised if people forgot about him.

Bitter Sens fans haven't forgotten him, but around the league I think a lot of people don't remember that Brooks Laich played his first game in a Senators jersey.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Gary Roberts...

I'm pretty sure Melnyk insisted we trade for him to help counteract our soft reputation in the playoffs, but I just can't remember him ever suiting up for us.

spice

Jul 25, 2013
Bobby Ryan

I remember him being a perennial 30+ goal scorer and being excited when we traded for him years ago. What ever happened to that guy?

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Arnason, jeez. Possibly the least motivated NHL player ever to don a Sens jersey.

If you ever asked him to give 100% effort, he would counter by offering you two games at 50% each.

He had 20 hits in his last 302 NHL games spanning 4 full seasons. Every single on of them was probably an accident. Not to say that everybody needs to be a bruiser, but in Arnason's case this speaks specifically to how low his compete level was.

Jason Zent... the super wrist shot, back when Ottawa training camps had caricatures from Hollywood sports movies with 1 extreme skill and nothing else.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Kind of Jason Doig...probably doesn't count though.

edit: has Brad Smyth been mentioned?

double edit: Todd Simpson at the deadline for our playoff push..lol

Last edited:

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
With Luke Richardson's coaching duty, and his prominence in local mental health initiatives, I often forget he suited up for the Sens at the end of his career.

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
I think that Steve Martins had like two or three stints with the Senators. I have no idea why he sticks in my memory; he was never more than an AHL-level centre with little going for him.

Babych Moustache

Don'tBashThe'Stache
Jul 4, 2008
Ottawa
Dan Quinn. A 13th overall pick in 1983 who put up solid totals over the first 10 years of his career, the Sens game him a chance to resurrect it after he had a "Patrick Kane-esque off-ice incident" which left him short of pro options. We let him go after he posted 7G0A in 13 games, he took a tour around Europe and played the lockout shortened season in LA, then we reacquired him and he posted 24 pts in 28 games. Everytime he scored, they played the Manfred Mann song Mighty Quinn the Eskimo.

Dan Quinn - better golfer than hockey player? Caddied for Big Ern Els... Great in the "celebrity" golf circuit for a bit...

Dan+Quinn+U+S+Open+Previews+9Ne0qGTch6Yl.jpg

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Without using the net, how many top-10 drafted Sens (not drafted by Ottawa) have played for the team?

Off the top of my head, I think I've come up with 10.

Off the top of my head? Ok.

- Bobby Ryan
- Kyle Turris
- Dany Heatley
- David Legwand
- Neil Brady
- Wade Redden
- Tom Barrasso
- Pat Falloon
- Dave Archibald

... uhh...

OH! Filatov, of course. Totally forgot about Filly. I'm sure there are probably a few more than 10 though. Was Brad Marsh a top-10? I know he was for sure a 1st rounder, and pretty high...

*EDIT* - also Michalek. Duh.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Our original captain, Laurie Boschman, was drafted 9th overall by the Leafs.

Sylvain Turgeon, drafted 2nd overall in 1983.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I'm pretty sure Curtis Leschyshyn was a top-10 pick, too. He was part of that crazy run of top-5 picks the Nordiques had in the late 80's/early 90's.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Off the top of my head? Ok.

- Bobby Ryan
- Kyle Turris
- Dany Heatley
- David Legwand
- Neil Brady
- Wade Redden
- Tom Barrasso
- Pat Falloon
- Dave Archibald

... uhh...

OH! Filatov, of course. Totally forgot about Filly. I'm sure there are probably a few more than 10 though. Was Brad Marsh a top-10? I know he was for sure a 1st rounder, and pretty high...

*EDIT* - also Michalek. Duh.

Nice list. I missed a few obvious ones.

Heatley, Redden, Filatov, Barrasso, Falloon, Cirella, Leschyshyn, Turris, S. Turgeon... my last was Freer, but I think you're right that it was Brady.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
... Cirella...

Jeez, Joe Cirella. There's a name I haven't heard in forever.

He had a pretty nice little career, too. By the time he got to us, he was done, but he had a decent stretch in the NHL. He played for those god-awful Devils teams in the 80's and was forgotten about by the casual fan because back then, nobody watched the Devils.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00