GDT: Sens @ Penguins Oct. 15. I Didn't Know Actual Penguins Were Allowed To Play Hockey

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Really? I haven't been reading all of the game-day threads, my impression from the winning threads was that everything is fine because we won, even though our wins were only facilitated by massive incompetence from the other teams. What I've seen in the games I've seen is a team getting massively dominated but able to pull together the occasional flurry the other way.

My expectations for the team are as follows - look better than last year. If a team cannot improve over the off-season then, sure, looking for a culprit is justified. Is it early for that? Sure, of course, but I guess I'm not seeing the blatant negativity you are, I'm seeing people pointing out specific problems they see with the game that they would prefer to have addressed. Otherwise what is this board other than just "duh yay we won" "oh boo we lose"

Otherwise known as the Ottawa Sun message board.

I'm pretty sure fans of every NHL team think their team misses the net the most.

Isn't there some stat that calculates exactly this?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Wow! I guess the vast majority of fans though we were the 76/77 Habs.

The negativity is greater here then since we were hot garbage 4/5 years ago.

I guess as the internet has changed over the years we see less Sens fans on HF... And many that remain are just super passionate, but that is pretty close to just plain angry.... Not joking posts about firing the coach. Calling out half the team. It is just ridiculous really, at this point.

Positives: the PP is working and more effective, easily then it has been since Spezza was here. Really looks vastly different and improved since last year.

Hoffman and Stone are even better then last year and effective with Turris in giving us a true top line.

Despite the many angry fans talking crap about them... Smith, Chiasson, Neil all look quite good. 4th line has been good in most every game and that is an improvement from the recent past.

Cowen is actually much better then he has been in a very long time. Looks like he has turned the corner.

Anderson has been excellent and given us top notch goaltending.

We are 3-2. In a playoff spot. Off to a better start then last season. Even with 4 of the 5 games on the road.

Is it picture perfect? No. Are their things we aren't doing well? Yes... Middle two lines... 2nd pairing. Is it a disaster? Nope.

Should we just resort to trashing the coach, revisiting decisions made by Murray years ago, be hung up on minor issues, and be nearly as angry as this whole thread and much of this board has been since the start of the regular season? I don't think so. In all 3 wins, from the GDT you would think we lost by huge margins.

The words to describe the Sens season so far would be ok, alright, promising, exciting... Not near abject failure. It is like many just watch the games to pick out mistakes. I have been a huge critic of Smith for two years, and he had played really well all year so far... And yet people trash him relentlessly? Why so angry? He is actually, finally playing well consistently.

Anyway...

not these two.

Why can you make a comment like this 5 games in, but other people get trashed on because they say particular players aren't playing well 5 games in.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
I'm pretty sure fans of every NHL team think their team misses the net the most.

We are actually 3rd in total missed shots behind MTL and TB
But we played 5 games while most teams played 4 and some 3.

I think I ran the numbers last year about 2/3 of the season and we were in the bottom 3rd of the league. Although there wasn't much variation between the teams except for a few outliers. I think the blackhawks were lowest my a pretty large margin, then maybe tampa? I attributed it to elite forward skill.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Late to the party on this, but man did Zibanejad look awful last night. Bobby Ryan set him up a few times, and he whiffed on it like some dude in my men's league. Player 93 might have been our worst guy last night just for the opportunities he gives up. At least a guy like Zack Smith knows his role and doesn't actively hurt you like Z-bad does when he's stinking it up. Time for Cameron to attach some jumper cables to his nether regions and let him know the season has started.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Was not really surprised by lasts night effort. Some decent spurts of hockey and we were generally in the game throughout (Likely shouldn't have been though) but also some pretty concerning moments. Kind of a blah type game, hopefully the lack of energy issue can be resolved ASAP as that ahs been my biggest complaint.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Last night...Gino takes cheap shot at EK, who gets slashing penalty for retaliation. Then Stone gets whacked by Cole, hurting his shoulder.

It seems the book on beating the Sens is targeting our skilled players (see Subban's hack ending playoff run), EK's achilles "accident". What would happen if Cindy Crysby or Gino were to get cheap shot? I bet something would happen...but I may be wrong. IMO Sens are too much "turn the other cheek" milquetoast. Cowen...I'm looking at you.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Last night...Gino takes cheap shot at EK, who gets slashing penalty for retaliation. Then Stone gets whacked by Cole, hurting his shoulder.

It seems the book on beating the Sens is targeting our skilled players (see Subban's hack ending playoff run), EK's achilles "accident". What would happen if Cindy Crysby or Gino were to get cheap shot? I bet something would happen...but I may be wrong. IMO Sens are too much "turn the other cheek" milquetoast. Cowen...I'm looking at you.

Stone was hit, cleanly. Not everything is ill intent toward our players, it's hockey.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Late to the party on this, but man did Zibanejad look awful last night. Bobby Ryan set him up a few times, and he whiffed on it like some dude in my men's league. Player 93 might have been our worst guy last night just for the opportunities he gives up. At least a guy like Zack Smith knows his role and doesn't actively hurt you like Z-bad does when he's stinking it up. Time for Cameron to attach some jumper cables to his nether regions and let him know the season has started.
Ziba seems to require a wake-up call every season. Pageau has been playing well, and maybe a promotion to the second line is warranted.

Idea for a shake-up:

HST
Michalek - Pageau - Ryan
Prince - Ziba - Lazar
Puempel - Smith - Chiasson
Neil

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Ziba seems to require a wake-up call every season. Pageau has been playing well, and maybe a promotion to the second line is warranted.

Idea for a shake-up:

HST
Michalek - Pageau - Ryan
Prince - Ziba - Lazar
Puempel - Smith - Chiasson
Neil

I like this idea... shame about MacA not staying healthy though.

Also a shame we can't ship Zib back to Bingo for a spell. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad