Post-Game Talk: Sens @ Panthers Have a good Christmas everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
He's never really been fast for NHL standards even is his prime.

What? He wasn't THE fastest player, but he definitely was one of the faster ones in the NHL in his prime. I watched several of his games in the 90's while with the Penguins (loved watching Mario and Jagr) and IMO he definitely was fast

Last edited:

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Pierre Mcguire was on wqam this morning. He mentioned the 7 different types of players that a franchise needs as cornerstone building blocks.

You need those top 2 centers

You need an elite shutdown defenseman

You need an elite puck moving defenseman

You need an elite goaltender

You need a top line power forward

And I forgot what the other one was (the top 2 centers count as 2 building blocks). So basically what he was trying to say was that Florida had all of that right now (although a couple were older veterans). Top 2 centers = Barkov, Bjugstad, Elite shutdown defenseman = Gudbranson (he really likes Gudbranson), Elite puck moving defenseman = Ekblad, Elite goaltender = Luongo, Top line power forward = Jagr.
He also felt that Crouse has the potential to be that top line power forward in the future, and he really liked Matheson and McCoshen.
So all in all, he gave a really glowing review on the Panthers.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Pierre Mcguire was on wqam this morning. He mentioned the 7 different types of players that a franchise needs as cornerstone building blocks.

And I forgot what the other one was (the top 2 centers count as 2 building blocks). So basically what he was trying to say was that Florida had all of that right now (although a couple were older veterans). Top 2 centers = Barkov, Bjugstad, Elite shutdown defenseman = Gudbranson (he really likes Gudbranson), Elite puck moving defenseman = Ekblad, Elite goaltender = Luongo, Top line power forward = Jagr.
He also felt that Crouse has the potential to be that top line power forward in the future, and he really liked Matheson and McCoshen.

Pierre gonna Pierre.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014

Considering that all of those mentioned players (minus Jagr) are really young, and coupled with the fact that only a few other teams can challenge the described combination of player types, this team has a very bright future ahead. For an example, I'm not too worried about some of the top teams in the league at the moment because they are missing some of the key player types or structure. For an example. DAL is playing lights out atm but as soon as playoffs come around, I predict that the likes of Lucic and Brown will be shutting down Klingberg, Goligoski and Demers in their own zone and thus crippling their offense to abysmal numbers.

The #4 position on the GA-column is promising at this stage to say the least considering that the six previous championship teams have been in the top5 in goals allowed-category. I gotta hand it to Gallant, he has definitely given this team structure to play defense as a team and, consequently, the belief that any opponent can be won. The dump'n chase-tactic in the beginning was infuriating to watch for 40 games or so, but judging from the long-term results, that might have been GG's approach to succumb this team to play under a structure.

Only thing missing would be a Hossa/Gaborik-type of a 40g player but I think that is not a necessity as long as there's an ample amount of +20g forwards.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
A lot of people wrote off Luongo, not just pierre.

Even on siriusxm, he loves the Panthers. Their pace, and has called them a dangerous team.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
A lot of people wrote off Luongo, not just pierre.

Even on siriusxm, he loves the Panthers. Their pace, and has called them a dangerous team.

Even so, Luongo seemed like he was still a top 15/20 goalie and Markstrom looked to be a backup at best and Matthias was a career bottom six player.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Even so, Luongo seemed like he was still a top 15/20 goalie and Markstrom looked to be a backup at best and Matthias was a career bottom six player.

Yeah I know. But his mentality was maybe his contract value plus term plus decline was bad.

Believe me though, he is high high high on this team. He gave mad props for Tallon drafting Barkov THEN getting Jagr to help his development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad