OT: Sens Lounge XLVII | Manked is Supreme Leader | Smeddy is a Panthers Fan Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Macklemore just dropped this in an interview with Rolling Stone:

If you’re going to be a white dude and do this ****, I think you have to take some level of accountabiAnnotatelity. You have to acknowledge where the art came from, where it is today, how you’re benefiting from it. At the very least, just bringing up those points and acknowledging that, yes, I understand my privilege, I understand how it works for me in society, and how it works for me in 2013 with the success that The Heist has had.

We made a great album, but I do think we have benefited from being white and the media grabbing on to something. A song like "Thrift Shop" was safe enough for the kids. It was like, "This is music that my mom likes and that I can like as a teenager," and even though I’m cussing my ass off in the song, the fact that I’m a white guy, parents feel safe. They let their six-year-olds listen to it. I mean it’s just…it’s different. And would that success have been the same if I would have been a black dude? I think the answer is no.

What do you Macklemore fans think? Accurate?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
That was my initial take on it, too. Makes me wonder why he'd be so open about it -- it's liable to piss off his current fans and not really draw in any new ones. I can respect him for being honest though.

It might help with his longevity, though. It definitely helps him avoid being "one-and-done", IMO.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
The reason I'm not surprised.

And my subconcious telling me stop it
This is an issue that you shouldn't get involved in
Don't even tweet, R.I.P Trayvon Martin
Don't wanna be that white dude, million man marchin'
Fighting for our freedom that my people stole
Don't wanna make all my white fans uncomfortable
But you don't even have a ****in' song for radio
Why you out here talkin race, tryin' to save the ****in' globe
Don't get involved with the causes in mind
White privilege, white guilt, at the same damn time
So we just party like it's nineteen ninty nine
Celebrate the ignorance while these kids keep dying

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
I got two wisdom teeth removed in my life and was eating steak that night, like a boss.

Seriously, I had no pain or discomfort at all. The most unpleasant part was the injection of the novicane and that lasted a few seconds.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
I got two wisdom teeth removed in my life and was eating steak that night, like a boss.

Seriously, I had no pain or discomfort at all. The most unpleasant part was the injection of the novicane and that lasted a few seconds.
I got 4 wisdom teeth and my two first premolars out.
Currently my mouth is full of gauze.

Emery

Jul 18, 2011
Ottawa
When I got my wisdom teeth removed (about a month ago), it wasn't even the teeth that hurt. While sleeping that night, I chewed on my cheeks for some reason. Woke up to 3 massive cankers lining the sides of my mouth. The next 2 weeks weren't very fun.

TheOriginalSilf*

Ain't nothing mandatory about it, you cross-eyed bourbon-dribbling :eek::eek::eek::eek:chiseler.

My lawyer advised that under the current TOS of HFBoards that I was legally liable for any repercussions if I did not mention the post, you yellow-bellied no-teethed sugar-licking crapchinchila.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad