What is more satisfying?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
This site has been unbearable for me to navigate lately. Pages "load" endlessly, tabs crash, and I often cant even scroll through a thread without the site lagging like crazy.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Guess the problem:

Built a new computer all new parts. However, the hard drive was from my previous build, with windows 10.

Right away I had no networks available and video choppiness. I tried both generic and manufacturer drivers. I removed this hard drive.

I installed a fresh windows on an empty ssd. Still no network and installing manu drivers fails everytime. Windows wont even attempt generic drivers. At around this point the initial motherboard splash screen at the startup hangs for 10-15 seconds. This windows eventually freezes, so I restart the computer to find theres no SSD found.

The SSD now appears so I install a fresh windows again. But this time it doesnt even think there is a network adapter. Then the SSD disappears again.

Now theres no hang and I see the SSD. So I install a fresh windows. On the first restart the of the install, after it was 100% complete but never run yet, the motherboard is on a screen saying "Starting Services" with a loading animation. After 15 mins of nothing, it freezes. No SSD again. Back to the splash screen hang up.

My computer currently is just a slow bios. Slow to load my boot USB thats a 3.0.

I've reset the RAM. Reset the Sata cables. Reset the CMOS.

I have a i5-7600k, GA-z270-hd3 moba, evga 650 80+ gold psu, mushkin 480gb ssd, and intergrated graphics atm.

I think its a faulty motherboard.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
This site has been unbearable for me to navigate lately. Pages "load" endlessly, tabs crash, and I often cant even scroll through a thread without the site lagging like crazy.
i've got a nice computer (high ipc, 8 threads, latest gen nvidia card, ssd), and it struggles with the website (and only this website).

benny anyway you could flash a new bios?
try running ubuntu live cd?

Last edited:

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
i've got a nice computer (high ipc, 8 threads, latest gen nvidia card, ssd), and it struggles with the website (and only this website).

Yep, I have a pretty high end laptop. This site has been f***ed since the update. I think a big part of it is adblock not working here anymore. A lot of the ads are autoplaying videos.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Yep, I have a pretty high end laptop. This site has been ****ed since the update. I think a big part of it is adblock not working here anymore. A lot of the ads are autoplaying videos.
What AdBlock are you using? You can PM me if it's not ok to talk about AdBlockers here.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Yep, I have a pretty high end laptop. This site has been ****ed since the update. I think a big part of it is adblock not working here anymore. A lot of the ads are autoplaying videos.
i don't think adblocking does much. I followed:
@Canada4Gold There's a bunch of bloated scripts, redirects, and requests. Try disabling JavaScript for this domain and see how responsive it is that way without it. It should run smoothly. For example, in Chrome: Settings > Advanced > Content Settings > JavaScript > Block > Add: hfboards.mandatory.com
and it's a bunch better, although i don't know what limitation it introduces

edit: the site is perfect for me without javascript, even on my much weaker laptop

Last edited:

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
i don't think adblocking does much. I followed:

and it's a bunch better, although i don't know what limitation it introduces
That's all in the next post there too:
Yes, disabling JavaScript will break embeds, rich text editor, among other things. It's an imperfect solution if you don't use a browser extension like NoScript or Scriptsafe to allow the right ones, but certainly, increases page responsiveness.

As previously mentioned, some may also have to combat Instart Logic's Ad Integrity junk. That's those ad redirects like http://hxyzhas.g00.mandatory.com/g00/* . You can read on that here, which includes a common solution. Regardless, if you run Crave's network through any number of website speed tests, you'll see that they all generally suck in Chrome. Users need to send in complaints via "Contact Us" in the site footer or else I wouldn't expect any change. Mods can't do anything more with posts here other than forwarding common complaints along. Increasing the sheer volume of complaints in their inbox should prioritize a fix, in theory, if they intend to address it.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Hmmm.. dont think I'll do that since it'll break embeds. I may end up doing it later though if I get fed up. Thanks for the option.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Crap not sure how to do that :sarcasm:

I'm just saying before the site change I used to visit HFBoards in incognito mode (like with every other website), so I wouldn't be logged in. After the site change the ads are so bad when I'm not logged in, HF is one of the only sites I don't visit in incognito mode.

I sure there are other people that did what I did. >_>

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I'm just saying before the site change I used to visit HFBoards in incognito mode (like with every other website), so I wouldn't be logged in. After the site change the ads are so bad when I'm not logged in, HF is one of the only sites I don't visit in incognito mode.

I sure there are other people that did what I did. >_>

Oh. Thought you were joking. Are the ads worse when you're not logged in?
The site randomly logs me out sometimes, but I always catch it. I've fixed the problem now thanks to DrEasy :cheers:

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy
Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Oh. Thought you were joking. Are the ads worse when you're not logged in?
The site randomly logs me out sometimes, but I always catch it. I've fixed the problem now thanks to DrEasy :cheers:
Yeah. The ads are like 200% worse when you aren't logged in.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
HF takes forever to fully load a page. Then after 10-20 seconds of being loaded, it starts loading some more. I hate it.

Sites like these make me glad i block all ads.

Reactions: Deku

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Talking with many members of my family just reinforces my belief that there is an epidemic of pseudoscience.

There always has been.

The only thing that different now than at any other point in the last thousand years is that now you have the internet, which allows for small outlier populations who believe in pseudoscience to gather together to give an appearance of greater numbers, which in turn creates the false assumption that they are somehow in the majority, which legitimizes their beliefs in their minds.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
There always has been.

The only thing that different now than at any other point in the last thousand years is that now you have the internet, which allows for small outlier populations who believe in pseudoscience to gather together to give an appearance of greater numbers, which in turn creates the false assumption that they are somehow in the majority, which legitimizes their beliefs in their minds.

Yeah, I get that. I just never remember anyone I know being into all these kinds of things until recently. And they seem to be getting crazier and crazier. I think the internet not only makes them appear to be more numerous. But I think it also gives them an equal platform to spread their beliefs and they have done a much better job at that than science has.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I agree, the new site is really growing on me. I like being able to add tables to a post (For my daily pickem thread). I can edit poll choices for the polls I do. Took a while to get used to but I'm liking this new site.

Reactions: DrEasy

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yeah, I get that. I just never remember anyone I know being into all these kinds of things until recently. And they seem to be getting crazier and crazier. I think the internet not only makes them appear to be more numerous. But I think it also gives them an equal platform to spread their beliefs and they have done a much better job at that than science has.

What's the expression....a lie can travel around the world before the truth gets its boots on. The internet and the tinfoil hat brigade are definitely proving that to be true.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad