OT: Sens Lounge -The Spring before the Summer Begins Again

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
You should see the traffic enforcement we have up north.

Completely non existent and everybody knows it. No radars, basically no cops to be found ever doing traffic enforcement. Can't even remember the last time I saw a stop check here trying to educate all the idiots that drive over the alcohol limit.

All the DUI's tossed on technicalities. All the underagers that make it in to the bars.

I could basically ask my doctor for any prescription within reason and I'll get it. There doesn't seem to be much for effective checks and balances on them.

1 thing does not equal the other, but examples are everywhere of lack of enforcement, for things far more dangerous. Do those bother you similarly or not so much?
Everything bothers me. You should know that by know. ;)

p.s. 90% of those who post just like the thrill of the argument. :)

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Everything bothers me. You should know that by know. ;)

p.s. 90% of those who post just like the thrill of the argument. :)
Lol, fair. A lot bothers me too, we all have our things! I was peer pressured so hard as a teen to drink and be a womanizing misogynist that those are probably my beefs.

Well ya! It's fun to discuss uncomfortable subjects. Lol, I love jumping in to these specifically. A life time of the above, while being villainized for Cannabis can lead to some sensitivity. I swear I come by it honestly.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Smattering of enforcement. That is my point. Not enough.

If we had proper enforcement and control, this would not still happen.
So, not at all going to acknowledge that the legal market isn't the issue? That they don't sell products that are marketed to kids? That they have strong plain packaging laws that are similar to cigarette packaging? Basically just gonna ignore 90% of what I've said?

Gee, thanks for chiming in!

For what it's worth, I agree, we need stronger, faster enforcement of the illegal market. More buy in for the legal market is good for everyone - more taxes, better products, cheaper prices. None of which will be market to kids ;)

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
I would agree with you about beers. Wine, it almost doesn't matter unless they have some professional production.

I've had plenty of home made wines made at specific locations, and though some taste pretty good, they tend to cause hangovers after having a couple bottles, whereas it's no problem getting through bottles if they're good stuff.
Man, after having a couple a bottles of wine regardless of bought varieties or homemade typically will give you hangovers.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
Hey sens fans,

I tried to find a thread but the search function on HF is busted. I got lucky and was selected last week for the 3rd round of the world jr ticket draw and managed to buy 4 tickets for the games at the CTC.

Im just wondering if I can get some advice on what part of town to stay. We're looking at either downtown so we can be near other tourist attractions, or on the west part of town (The Glebe or Westboro) so we can get a bigger place. Do either of these have good public transit to the CTC? We will be driving so we could bring our car but I've heard it can also be a pain going to the games at rush hour/trying to get out after the game. We will have kids going to some games so hoping to not get stuck out too much longer past game time.

Also wondering if they have a few games per day is there anything at or near the arena to fill the time between games?

Thanks and excited to visit Ottawa! First time in over a decade!

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
This is a bit of a different albeit related issue, I'm talking about consumers and their personal use case/context, influencing adoption of EVs, Ian Lee was talking about the time to build out the infrastructure to support a complete transition. Upgrading the infrastructure happens along with demand increase, it's not expected or needed to be overnight, and I'm not convinced with his 50 year estimate, but that's a whole other argument.

The transition to electric vehicles would require enormous changes in manufacturing, infrastructure, technology, labor, global trade and consumer habits,”​

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The transition to electric vehicles would require enormous changes in manufacturing, infrastructure, technology, labor, global trade and consumer habits,”​

I'm not sure why your posting a political hit piece here, because that article is about as partisan as it gets, maybe you thought you were on truth social?

Anyways, this isn't the place for politics, even if it's thinly veiled as discussing EVs.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I'm not sure why your posting a political hit piece here, because that article is about as partisan as it gets, maybe you thought you were on truth social?

Anyways, this isn't the place for politics, even if it's thinly veiled as discussing EVs.
Remove the post if you want, but the article, in the beginning shows some of the issues mandating EVs are facing, and infrastructure is definitely one of them, as discussed…. But like everything in the USA Today, it relates back to politics, which for one cannot stand…. Sports should not champion this cause or another….. they should stick to sports and charity, and not much else.

Also covers why the President of Hertz was left go after he went big time on EVs…

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Hey sens fans,

I tried to find a thread but the search function on HF is busted. I got lucky and was selected last week for the 3rd round of the world jr ticket draw and managed to buy 4 tickets for the games at the CTC.

Im just wondering if I can get some advice on what part of town to stay. We're looking at either downtown so we can be near other tourist attractions, or on the west part of town (The Glebe or Westboro) so we can get a bigger place. Do either of these have good public transit to the CTC? We will be driving so we could bring our car but I've heard it can also be a pain going to the games at rush hour/trying to get out after the game. We will have kids going to some games so hoping to not get stuck out too much longer past game time.

Also wondering if they have a few games per day is there anything at or near the arena to fill the time between games?

Hey there,

I might be in the minority here, but I'd recommend getting an air bnb near Lansdowne. Great restaurants, beautiful parks, and overall atmosphere is really cool.

If you want to go downtown for Parliament Hill, Rideau Centre, War Museum, etc., you can easily make the trek via transit. Avoid Byward Market like the plague, it was an overpriced corporate shithole when I lived in Ottawa and my friends that live/work there says its been worse since the pandemic.

If you want a nice place with some very good food, can't go wrong with Hintonberg. Good transit, good food, and probably more roomy options for hotels/air bnbs., and much better for driving.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
Hey there,

I might be in the minority here, but I'd recommend getting an air bnb near Lansdowne. Great restaurants, beautiful parks, and overall atmosphere is really cool.

If you want to go downtown for Parliament Hill, Rideau Centre, War Museum, etc., you can easily make the trek via transit. Avoid Byward Market like the plague, it was an overpriced corporate shithole when I lived in Ottawa and my friends that live/work there says its been worse since the pandemic.

If you want a nice place with some very good food, can't go wrong with Hintonberg. Good transit, good food, and probably more roomy options for hotels/air bnbs., and much better for driving.
Awesome I'll take a look this weekend. Thanks for the advice!!

Reactions: Ralph Malfredsson

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Three days ago.

Oh wow, now Joe Rogan is repeating the nonesense from that old study, we already went over this, the study they are referring to which was a bit misleading in the first place but has since been picked up and misrepresented by a number of outlets (some of which you already posted here) didn't actually look at EVs, it was entirely about particulates from Ice vehicles (a VW Golf that was loaded up to it;s max capacity on a closed track if I recall), and extrapolated that if the tire wear on a heavilly weighted car was problematic, the tire wear to heavier EVs would be an even biggger deal (forgetting that EVs use tires specifically designed to accomodate their increased weight which helps reduce wear. The original study was problematic for numerous reasons many of which we already went over in this thread,

They talk about wear on brakes as if thats a bad thing for evs, which is funny, because Evs use regenerative breaking (not using the break pads but the motor to slow down) which cuts back a lot of break dust, compared to ice vehicles, often it's cited EV brakes last twice as long though some Tesla owners have reported going 100,000 miles before replacing brake pads..

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Oh wow, now Joe Rogan is repeating the nonesense from that old study, we already went over this, the study they are referring to which was a bit misleading in the first place but has since been picked up and misrepresented by a number of outlets (some of which you already posted here) didn't actually look at EVs, it was entirely about particulates from Ice vehicles (a VW Golf that was loaded up to it;s max capacity on a closed track if I recall), and extrapolated that if the tire wear on a heavilly weighted car was problematic, the tire wear to heavier EVs would be an even biggger deal (forgetting that EVs use tires specifically designed to accomodate their increased weight which helps reduce wear. The original study was problematic for numerous reasons many of which we already went over in this thread,

They talk about wear on brakes as if thats a bad thing for evs, which is funny, because Evs use regenerative breaking (not using the break pads but the motor to slow down) which cuts back a lot of break dust, compared to ice vehicles, often it's cited EV brakes last twice as long though some Tesla owners have reported going 100,000 miles before replacing brake pads..
Did someone quote Joe Rogan? As a source of "reliable" information? And they weren't kidding?

statler and waldorf.gif

Tell me not to trust a word you say, without directly saying so. Yeesh.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Did someone quote Joe Rogan? As a source of "reliable" information? And they weren't

Tell me not to trust a word you say, without directly saying so. Yeesh.

During the Covid lockdowns, Joe Rogan had on a lot of guests that spoke truth to power…even Dr. Robert Malone one of the the inventors of the mNRA vaccines. And of course the left wing progressive mainstream media renounced Joe Rogan and many of his guests, because they did play along with the Progressive narrative …. And since has been proven right on almost every thing he covered…. The effectiveness of the vaccine, the use of ivermectin and other therapeutic treatments….. oh and natural immunity vs the mNRA vaccine.

Turns out he was 100 times more reliable than the mainstream legacy media… who constantly told us the mNRA vaccine prevented people from getting infected…. Which it did not.

The “ Joe Rogan Experience" isn't just the most popular podcast on Spotify — but also almost three times the size of the second most popular ("TED Talks Daily"), according to Carman's report. At 14.5 million followers, it dwarfs other popular podcasts like "The Daily" from The New York Times (2.6 million) and "This American Life" (870,000).

His podcast averages 11 million listeners per episode….. the top Cable news prime time show is lucky to pull in a couple million.

You may disagree with his views, and those of his guest or listeners…. But doubt you’ve listened to a single episode in its entirety…. But he has more credibility with more people that anyone on CNN, FNC, MSNBC or any major network….

Not saying he is correct on everything he covers, but he must be doing something right to be more influential and trusted than anyone in traditional legacy media

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
During the Covid lockdowns, Joe Rogan had on a lot of guests that spoke truth to power…even Dr. Robert Malone one of the the inventors of the mNRA vaccines. And of course the left wing progressive mainstream media renounced Joe Rogan and many of his guests, because they did play along with the Progressive narrative …. And since has been proven right on almost every thing he covered…. The effectiveness of the vaccine, the use of ivermectin and other therapeutic treatments….. oh and natural immunity vs the mNRA vaccine.

Turns out he was 100 times more reliable than the mainstream legacy media… who constantly told us the mNRA vaccine prevented people from getting infected…. Which it did not.

The “ Joe Rogan Experience" isn't just the most popular podcast on Spotify — but also almost three times the size of the second most popular ("TED Talks Daily"), according to Carman's report. At 14.5 million followers, it dwarfs other popular podcasts like "The Daily" from The New York Times (2.6 million) and "This American Life" (870,000).

His podcast averages 11 million listeners per episode….. the top Cable news prime time show is lucky to pull in a couple million.

You may disagree with his views, and those of his guest or listeners…. But doubt you’ve listened to a single episode in its entirety…. But he has more credibility with more people that anyone on CNN, FNC, MSNBC or any major network….

Not saying he is correct on everything he covers, but he must be doing something right to be more influential and trusted than anyone in traditional legacy media
Without weighing in on Rogan or his views, using numbers only represents popularity, so all that says is that its popular. The most popular of everything is not necessarily the correct one. Fox and CNN are like 1/2 for viewership and are 2 of the most biased stations out there, with both clearly pushing partisan biased programming. The 2 most popular stations are unreliable for an unbiased presentation, so could that potentially apply to a podcast as well?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Oh, I'm not against having dispensaries, though I do find they have become ubiquitous, I'm just saying don't paint all homebrew with the same brush. I also think that the reason you have that 10 to 1 ratio wrt homebrew is due to the taxation; we incentivize homebrewing with a lower pricepoint by taxing the store bought but not the homebrew. If you put a giant tax on brewers yeast or something the even out the price, only those passionate about the hobby would do so and you'd change that dynamic, alternatively, if you did away with taxation on alcohol and it became as cheap to buy as Pop, you'd again only get the passionate folks brewing.

I'm also generalizing based on the argument that you shouldn't be able to buy weed or alcohol at a store.

Then you would be forced to make it at home...then you gotta either invest time and money or you have a high risk of getting a substandard product...

Which is why I think it would be a really bad idea to make it illegal to buy or sell weed or alcohol.

Ralph Malfredsson

PhD in indiscreet street haggling
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2008
Hey sens fans,

Lucky guy!!! Have fun man.
I haven't lived in Ottawa in ages so the others will have better advice than me
But I just wanted to say that I really hope you enjoy your visit!!

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
In preparation for the big event…you can read this article. And remember don’t stare at the sun!

“Do not use regular sunglasses to view the eclipse. Even overlapping several pairs will not give you the protection you need.

Do not use any welders glass rated less than "shade 12" to view the eclipse. Most welding masks have glass rated less than that (about shade 10 or 11). So, if you have a welding mask or goggles, be absolutely sure you know their rating and that it's 12 or higher. If you can't verify that, or they're rated less than 12, please don't use it — not even if you try to layer it with something else like sunglasses. It's not worth the potential eye damage.

Do not use any 'homemade' methods people have thought up over the years. This includes:
  • neutral density or polarizing filters for camera lenses,
  • smoked glass,
  • photographic or X-ray film (regardless of whether it is unexposed, exposed, or developed),
  • space blankets,
  • potato-chip bags,
  • DVDs or CDs.”
“If you do look directly at the eclipse while experiencing totality, you must be very careful to time it just right!

After observing the eclipse through sun viewers and then standing in the dim light of totality, our pupils will be dilated — opened wide — to take in as much light as possible. It will be like as if we were standing in dark room for all that time. This will make our eyes extremely susceptible to bright light.

Thus, if your eyes are unprotected when the Sun suddenly peaks out around the limb of the Moon, the chances of suffering eye damage could be more significant than at any other moment of the eclipse.

So, be sure to know the exact timing of totality for your area, and put your eclipse glasses back on, or return to your indirect method of viewing, before totality ends!”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad