OT: Sens Lounge LXXXXI - Curling in the squat rack? HURRY HARD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I guess assumed you would be judgemental for some reason? Is it first time it's transitioned offline? Might just be some personal embarrassment too.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
My android phone has the 3 predictive options.

"Hey man. he is the most part, I have been in a while, and the rest. the first one. the first one."

If I go with the middle options, though, I get "I am a beautiful person. I am a beautiful person." Haha.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I guess assumed you would be judgemental for some reason? Is it first time it's transitioned offline? Might just be some personal embarrassment too.

She flew to Texas to meet him before. Maybe she is worried I would say something about the fact we diddle on the side some times and that would not go over well with him.

Not that I would, I mean ya I can be a jerk, but I am not a dick.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
My favourite story about meeting NHLers or ex-NHLers is the time I shared an elevator ride and a ~150ft walk with Jeremy Roenick. The man is... Unique.

4/10, would not recommend.

Yeah Roenick always had a bit of crazy in his eyes. I've met a bunch of old Senators back in the day, the 90s early 2000s Senators when i lived in Kanata. Gerber was one of the nicest guys i ever met. I tried to buy him a beer after a friend of mine was kinda rude to him, and he refused but bought me one. Chatted with me for a while too. Class act!

Andre Roy was ****ing hilarious though, i used to see that guy ****faced at Jack Astors all the time

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Yeah Roenick always had a bit of crazy in his eyes. I've met a bunch of old Senators back in the day, the 90s early 2000s Senators when i lived in Kanata. Gerber was one of the nicest guys i ever met. I tried to buy him a beer after a friend of mine was kinda rude to him, and he refused but bought me one. Chatted with me for a while too. Class act!

Andre Roy was ****ing hilarious though, i used to see that guy ****faced at Jack Astors all the time

I miss goons. Seems like HF hates the goon but to me they'll always be pure entertainment.

Dennis Vial, Phil Crowe, Belak, Langdon, Grimson, Kordic. Added so much fun to the game.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I miss goons. Seems like HF hates the goon but to me they'll always be pure entertainment.

Dennis Vial, Phil Crowe, Belak, Langdon, Grimson, Kordic. Added so much fun to the game.

I played with Langdon for a season, and he's coached me a few seasons the past few years. Unreal guy.

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
The fact I can get it right away with a lot more to go back and I don't think that is not an issue with a lot more to go back and I don't think that is not an issue with my life and death in my head hurts and I'm still not sure what I was a lot more to come back and I have a great way for me and I don't know how much you mean the world is not an option for me and I have a great way for me and I don't think I can get it right away with a lot of fun to use it for a few years back and I have to go back and I don't know how much you mean the world is not an option for me and I have to go back and I don't think that I can be used for this year is going on with a lot of fun.

You can just keep going forever with that thing. :laugh:

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
The fact I can get it right away with a lot more to go back and I don't think that is not an issue with a lot more to go back and I don't think that is not an issue with my life and death in my head hurts and I'm still not sure what I was a lot more to come back and I have a great way for me and I don't know how much you mean the world is not an option for me and I have a great way for me and I don't think I can get it right away with a lot of fun to use it for a few years back and I have to go back and I don't know how much you mean the world is not an option for me and I have to go back and I don't think that I can be used for this year is going on with a lot of fun.

:ha:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Sounds like one of those 1990s teenage emo songs. Kurt Cobain-ish

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
At least a dozen times, yes. I used to have to do VISA runs to SG.

What do you want to know? I've got a pretty good internal map of that place at this point, especially if you want directions to the Indonesian Embassy. :laugh:

Well I was thinking of stoping there between Australia and Southeast Asia. I wouldn't stay very long as I wouldn't want to spend a ton of money, but would want to get a decent trip in the country. How long would you think is needed to see the city? What would you recommend seeing? How many left turns to get to the Indonesian Embassy?

On a related note the company I will use for my SE Asia tours put up their August deals today. One of them happens to be that if you buy the Thailand-Laos-Cambodia-Vietnam tour you get the Myanmar one free! That saves me about 1000 USD! I think I will use that money and spend a week or two in South Korea before flying home.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Well I was thinking of stoping there between Australia and Southeast Asia. I wouldn't stay very long as I wouldn't want to spend a ton of money, but would want to get a decent trip in the country. How long would you think is needed to see the city? What would you recommend seeing? How many left turns to get to the Indonesian Embassy?

Do you like shopping? Is it going to essentially be a free stop-over in Singapore? If the answer to both of those questions is "no", then I'd just skip it. There's really not a ton to do there, it's a banking city for wealthy people. I mean, if it's not going to cost you much money to stop over there, it's maybe worth it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to change my entire vacation schedule to accommodate it. You can do everything there is to do in the city in a weekend, tops. After the 2nd time I went, I ran out of things to do. Remember: it's tiny. Singapore is just a big city with a few KMs of palm forest, and then you cross the border into Malaysia. You can drive from one end to the other in an hour and a half.

Don't get me wrong, there's stuff to do there. Orchard Road is a shopping mecca for the uber-wealthy, and even if you're like me and can't afford to shop in a lot of those shops, it's still interesting to "people watch". Consider it "Rodeo Drive: SE Asia Edition". I used to stay at a hotel on Orchard Rd. every time I went (because our company used to let us choose our hotel, we didn't pay), and it was fun, but not so fun that you absolutely need to fly there specifically to see it. It's just nice restaurants and expensive clothes. No big deal.

Other than Orchard Rd,

1) the Raffles Hotel is a historical landmark, and worth seeing if you're already there (but clearly not worth flying into the city specifically to see).

2) The Gardens By The Bay & Cloud Forest (they're next to eachother) are probably my favorite thing there, but you have to be into nature and architecture to get anything out of it. If you are, it's a must-see. If not, you will be bored to tears.

3) The Singapore Zoo has a very cool "Night Zoo" attraction (go at night to see nocturnal animals), which was neat but also hilarious. We went to see a show where they paraded around exotic nocturnal animals for the crowd, and the grand finale was a raccoon. Like "WTF, I have seen those trash pandas my whole life, this is not exotic, let alone exciting enough to be the finale", but then you remember that raccoons are not native to Singapore or most of SE Asia, so it's cool for them, I guess.

4) Marina Bay Sands is a total letdown in every possible metric you could use to evaluate letdowns. Do not go. It's full of disgustingly wealthy businessmen with the manners of a stray cat, and you can't even go swimming on the rooftop pool unless you are staying at the hotel, which is massively overpriced for what you actually get.

5) Singapore Flyer is... meh. It's a cool view, but it's like $30/ticket or something crazy, and a 15 min ride, and entirely dependent on it being a clear day to get the best views, and it's almost never a clear day in Singapore.

If you're into auto racing, they have an F1 race there every year, too. Dates change every year, but it's usually in September at some point (and I was always in Singapore in August every year, and again in Oct-Nov, so I always missed it) I dunno, maybe you can time your trip up with the race?

So yeah. Cool city, but not special in any way, unless you want to open a bank account... which, as someone who still banks in Singapore, I can personally attest to it being the best banking experience you will ever have, bar none, with no exceptions. Also: taxis are assembly-line-level efficient there. You'll see when you get there.

On a related note the company I will use for my SE Asia tours put up their August deals today. One of them happens to be that if you buy the Thailand-Laos-Cambodia-Vietnam tour you get the Myanmar one free! That saves me about 1000 USD! I think I will use that money and spend a week or two in South Korea before flying home.

Well, now there are no excuses, you have to go.

Last edited:

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Yeah, there are no direct flights from Sydney or Melbourne to Yangon so I have to stop in either Singapore, Bangkok, or Kuala Lumpur. I would like to see another place if I am going through and have the chance so I don't mind the lack of a direct flight. Bangkok would be kinda pointless to stop in since I will be going there anyways, and I think I would want to see more of Malaysia than just KL. That leaves Singapore.

Cloud city looks cool based of Google Images. Have you been to the Bukit Timah Nature Reserve?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
We always stayed at the Holiday Inn Orchard City Center.

It's expensive, but worth it if you spend the extra $30/night and upgrade your room to have access to the executive lounge, which has free snacks literally all day (little snadwiches and stuff), plus a "happy hour" every day from 6-9pm where they serve bottomless drinks for free.

Considering how expensive alcohol is in Singapore, $30/night (on top of the $250SGD for the room itself) for as much as you want to drink for 3 hours straight is a one-way ticket to value-town.

Like I said, though... we usually didn't pay for the cost of the hotels when we went to stay there because work covered it since it was required travel due to the conditions of the job itself, so it was just $30 out of our own pocket for the upgrade, the room was already paid for.

I think I would want to see more of Malaysia than just KL.

KL is pretty cool, too. It's like Jakarta, except cleaner and less traffic and more things to do. The Petronas Science Center is hilarious, because there is no shame at all and they don't try to hide the fact that the entire science center is one gigantic ad for Petronas Oil, and the "science" they display is heavily slanted to be brand-shaping and biased heavily in a "pro-oil-drilling" direction. We still have a "I ❤ Petronas" magnet on our fridge. It's amazing the balls they had when they built that thing. Lots of other stuff to do in the city, as well as lots of stuff to do outside of it.

Plus, KL is phenomenally cheaper than Singapore too, so there's that to consider.

Cloud city looks cool based of Google Images. Have you been to the Bukit Timah Nature Reserve?

Oh yeah! Forgot about that, it was cool. Again, you have to like nature. I'm the kind of guy that usually makes a point of going to zoos or botanical gardens when I go places, so I liked it. If you're going, it's worth seeing. It's not very big though, so you can do the whole park and not have it eat up your day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce