OT: Sens Lounge LXXXI | Time to clean up your act son!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
In Vader's defence, that's not a side effect of going to the dark side... that's a side effect of losing both your legs in a lightSabre battle, being left for dead on the side of a volcano/active lava flow, and being so severely burned (including burned lungs) that you need a body suit to stay alive.

True but Vader was under the assumption if he went to the dark side he could learn the ability cure people or stop life from dying or whatever it was. You would think learning this would be a priority for him so he could undo all that.

Has anybody seen the movie American Sniper yet?

I have no idea what it is but I heard its essentially propaganda.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Reaaally? Was kind of excited about it.

What is this Brad Pitt tank movie that I have never heard of?

I haven't seen it, but thats what some of the critics I trust have said.

All I know about Fury is that its the name of the tank, and its focused around the tank crew. Looks neat!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
In Vader's defence, that's not a side effect of going to the dark side... that's a side effect of losing both your legs in a lightsabre battle, being left for dead on the side of a volcano/active lava flow, and being so severely burned across every square inch of your body (including burned lungs!) that you need a body suit to stay alive.

I still don't see why Kenobi just left him there to wither away like that. I mean holy crap, show some mercy and finish him off. Of course, that means the original trilogy wouldn't have happened and Vader wouldn't have been there to save Luke and stabilize the balance of the force, but still......what kind of Jedi allows another living creature to lay there in agony like that and walk away?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Ooo promising. Gonna have to check that out.

Solid director, Brad Pitt is a good lead even if he doesn't quite nail accents all that well :P

If the script is good it might be awesome, if not . . . well there's still gunna be a lot of tanks shooting stuff! Even other tanks!

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
All I know about American Sniper is the fake baby scene which is pretty funny looking.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I heard American Sniper glorifies war and doesn't tell some of the bad/crazy things about the guy.

I don't know enough about the real guy, but it's a very openly rah rah America sort of film, and although Cooper really brings his acting chops to the table, the character is never in question morally, and his actions are always portrayed as correct and justified.

Then of course, he gets over PTSD in about 5 minutes.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
And The Hurt Locker was the most disingenuous piece of tripe garbage to be nominated for an Academy Award (let alone win the damned thing!) in years, so that's saying something.

Still haven't seen it

Is it worse or better than Crash in terms of movie not really deserving of the award?

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
And The Hurt Locker was the most disingenuous piece of tripe garbage to be nominated for an Academy Award (let alone win the damned thing!) in years, so that's saying something.

Not in a world where Crash won. And Shakespeare in Love.

I enjoyed the Hurt Locker, for what it's worth. Compared to AS, Renner's character is much more nuanced and more morally grey. It's also far less jingoistic.

Seriously, Chris Kyle's father threatened to sue if his son was "disrespected" by American Sniper. Hence why the whole film is about how he's Captain America with a sniper rifle.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Considering the time of year it's being released I'm expecting it to be terrible, but there's something about Seventh Son that makes me want to go see it...

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Not in a world where Crash won. And Shakespeare in Love.

I liked Crash... not necessarily best picture, but it was a REALLY weak "Best Picture" field that year. I thought A History of Violence was actually the best movie that year (of the ones I saw, which were most of the major ones), but it didn't even get nominated. Brokeback Mountain was better, too. Crash was worthy of the nomination, at least.

Shakespeare in love, well... yeah. OK. I'm with you on that one. It's not even that great of a period piece.

Hurt Locker though... I mean, the best thing you can say about it was that it prevented an even worse movie (Avatar) from winning Best Picture that year? Most of the other movies nominated that year were FAR better than Hurt Locker and Avatar, and yet those two movies were all anyone talked about.

I enjoyed the Hurt Locker, for what it's worth. Compared to AS, Renner's character is much more nuanced and more morally grey. It's also far less jingoistic.

It took me three sittings just to get through Hurt Locker. Meh, different tastes, I guess.

Of course, I also REALLY REALLY REALLY dislike Jeremy Renner, so it doesn't have much going for it in my eyes.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Still haven't seen it

Is it worse or better than Crash in terms of movie not really deserving of the award?

Crash was an OK movie in a really sub-standard field of nominees. It won partially because of the director, but partially because there just wasn't an epic movie released that year, and Crash, while not deserving the award in a good year, sort of benefitted from everyone else dropping the ball that year. Crash winning "Best Movie" that year is like being named the best player on the Buffalo Sabres.

Hurt Locker... like I said in my other post, it took 3 viewings for me just to get through the damned thing.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
No way, Munich was great.

Probably Spielberg's most underrated film.

Easily should have beaten Crash.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Considering the time of year it's being released I'm expecting it to be terrible, but there's something about Seventh Son that makes me want to go see it...

It's been pushed back on like 5 separate occasions. That is not a good sign.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
No way, Munich was great.

Probably Spielberg's most underrated film.

Easily should have beaten Crash.

I have to say, I remember watching Munich with a bunch of my Jewish friends, and not really getting to see the movie without a ton of commentary going on in the room.

I should probably watch it again on my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad