OT: Sens Lounge LXXII: Scrubs or Suits

Status
Not open for further replies.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Disagree.

Battlefield 4 is awesome in my mind, the community is starting to turn into a COD-ish one (ewww) now that it is more popular but oh well. I can play 500 hours of online before getting tired.

AC4 is a unique game with hundreds of hours of gameplay that I could play without getting bored. I mean, you get to customize your own pirate ship and conquer the seas. I love it.

Madden 25 was amazing and is really fun to play with.

NBA2K14 has two amazing offline game modes, MyPlayer and MyGM. They are both so much better than anything NHL has ever done.

Don't Starve is an UNREAL indie game that I can play for hours at a time when I'm bored.

Outlast is amazing as well. So scary. So much fun.

EDIT: WatchDogs is also coming out and in my opinion has the potential to be a GTA-esque amount of fun. Free-roam, but with control of everything.

Every single one of those titles you can play on almost any platform besides Outlast, which is most certainly NOT "amazing". Its a filler title that takes 90 minutes to play through. I really like most of those games though and own most of them on PS4, but that's definitely not a selling feature for ps4. You didn't name one single good exclusive and that's a problem for Sony. I expect Infamous will help them out.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Oh, ok. Yeah.

Well, in their defence though, TONS of S.E. Asia are still ridiculously poverty stricken.

KL is well off (most of Malaysia aredoing pretty good in comparison to the rest of the region, for the most part), Singapore is wealthy as crazy... but there are still TONS of poor-ass places here.

Indonesia, outside of Jakarta, is poor as poor can get... the disparity between the wealthy here and the poor is insane. There is very little middle class here... you are rich, or you are wicked poor.

Outside of Manilla, the Phillipines are quite poor.
Wealth disparity in Thailand is pretty severe, too.

Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos... those are some poor-ass countries, too.

Outside of Singapore and Malaysia, there are POCKETS of wealth here, yes... mostly centered around large urban centers, and even within those centers, those pockets of wealth are very isolated. But for the most part, it's a poor region, with lots of problems that are directly tied to that poverty.

Average Yearly Salaries in SE Asian countries (all figures in USD):
Singapore: $68,753
Thailand: $30,200
Malaysia: $26,400
Indonesia: $14,700 (but I can tell you as a fact, this number is skewed due to the ultra-rich at the top of the pay scale... the average Indonesian outside of Jakarta/ West Java makes on average maybe $2,000 - $5,000 per year)

... and then the poor countries...
Philippines: $4,600
Myanmar: $3,400
Vietnam: $1,800
Laos: $628
Cambodia: ~$300-900 (estimated, there are very few hard stats to trust in this regard)

Not saying there aren't problems, just saying that it is far from the bottom. Many people here assume that Central America, South America, Asia minus South Korea and Japan, and Africa are all on the same level.

Heck, some people here even think of the Balkans as being third world or close to.

I think the idea might come from people think of anything below Western standards of living as "bad", instead of thinking of the Western standards of living as "luxurious" or "the best".

IDK, it just frustrates me how much people here can take for granted being born in the developed world. We are very lucky to have been born here. Especially when Indonesia can be so far behind, but it has a "middle of the pack" HDI rating (79 out of 132 countries with enough data to list)

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Not saying there aren't problems, just saying that it is far from the bottom. Many people here assume that Central America, South America, Asia minus South Korea and Japan, and Africa are all on the same level.

Heck, some people here even think of the Balkans as being third world or close to.

I think the idea might come from people think of anything below Western standards of living as "bad", instead of thinking of the Western standards of living as "luxurious" or "the best".

IDK, it just frustrates me how much people here can take for granted being born in the developed world. We are very lucky to have been born here. Especially when Indonesia can be so far behind, but it has a "middle of the pack" HDI rating (79 out of 132 countries with enough data to list)

Oh yeah, ok. I can totally get behind all of this.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Bonk - I suppose you've evaluated using the "Hola" plugin for cnn.com? I don't think it's safe but just wondered if it was something you considered.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Bonk - I suppose you've evaluated using the "Hola" plugin for cnn.com? I don't think it's safe but just wondered if it was something you considered.

I've considered just getting a VPN and not bothering with any of it.

I've heard good things about Astrill.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Disagree.

Battlefield 4 is awesome in my mind, the community is starting to turn into a COD-ish one (ewww) now that it is more popular but oh well. I can play 500 hours of online before getting tired.

AC4 is a unique game with hundreds of hours of gameplay that I could play without getting bored. I mean, you get to customize your own pirate ship and conquer the seas. I love it.

Madden 25 was amazing and is really fun to play with.

NBA2K14 has two amazing offline game modes, MyPlayer and MyGM. They are both so much better than anything NHL has ever done.

Don't Starve is an UNREAL indie game that I can play for hours at a time when I'm bored.

Outlast is amazing as well. So scary. So much fun.

EDIT: WatchDogs is also coming out and in my opinion has the potential to be a GTA-esque amount of fun. Free-roam, but with control of everything.

Out of all those games the only ones I care for are AC4 and Watchdogs which will/are available on the previous generation systems. Now that I've gotten all the upgrades for the ship in AC4 on the Xbox the game is now officially boring: it took me about 15 hours which is decent but pretty disappointing in that there's still plenty for me to do but there's no incentive (the Legendary Ships do provide a good challenge but they just give you more money, money which you don't need since you need all the upgrades to fight them!) and most of it is easy as pie now that I'm a badass

I don't care about sports games outside of Fifa and NHL and I don't do online shooters

Don't Starve has been out for a while on PC and yes, that game is a lot of fun but not a system seller

I've heard a lot about Outlast but can't say it strikes me as something that makes me want a PS4

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Out of all those games the only ones I care for are AC4 and Watchdogs which will/are available on the previous generation systems. Now that I've gotten all the upgrades for the ship in AC4 on the Xbox the game is now officially boring: it took me about 15 hours which is decent but pretty disappointing in that there's still plenty for me to do but there's no incentive (the Legendary Ships do provide a good challenge but they just give you more money, money which you don't need since you need all the upgrades to fight them!) and most of it is easy as pie now that I'm a badass

The shanties should be an incentive, they're fun as hell! Achievements? Unlocking the templar outfit? All the side missions? 15 hours barely seems to scratch the surface.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
What's wrong with the Hola plugin? I have a buddy that recommended it and I've used it recently?

There's nothing inherently wrong with Hola specifically — I think Main is just referring to the danger that comes with routing any information through a third-party. You're always risking your security by trusting whoever's at the other end.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The shanties should be an incentive, they're fun as hell! Achievements? Unlocking the templar outfit? All the side missions? 15 hours barely seems to scratch the surface.

I have all the shanties, I have the templar outfit and the mayan armor

Achievements never did it for me: they don't give me anything that matters

The game was fun as hell for those 15 hours though, it's just that the game shows everything there is to it in the early stages: there's very little sense of progression that actually affects gameplay (you and your ship get stronger but there isn't much that actually changes the way you do things)

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I haven't quite completed the story for ac4 but it was a lot of fun until it started getting a bit repetitive. The game makes you feel like a genuine bad ass. I would like to go back at some point and find all the buried treasure and get the mayan out fit.

Does anyone know why there's basically zero hype for the new Metal Gear that's coming out? Seems like a real big IP that's getting no attention. Kinda makes me worried. Even a POS like Thief is getting press.

Maybe they're just a victim of games like Broken Age, Dark Souls 2, Titanfall and Donkey Kong all coming our around the same time.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I haven't quite completed the story for ac4 but it was a lot of fun until it started getting a bit repetitive. The game makes you feel like a genuine bad ass. I would like to go back at some point and find all the buried treasure and get the mayan out fit.

Does anyone know why there's basically zero hype for the new Metal Gear that's coming out? Seems like a real big IP that's getting no attention. Kinda makes me worried. Even a POS like Thief is getting press.

Maybe they're just a victim of games like Broken Age, Dark Souls 2, Titanfall and Donkey Kong all coming our around the same time.

That's exactly my problem: the game starts off very strong but fails to introduce any meaningful change to gameplay outside of the swimming sections which are minor. You start playing the game and it's really engaging but after 10 hours or so reality sets in: there's nothing more to this game.

As far as Metal Gear goes, Ground Zeroes is a intro to the full game, the Phantom Pain which isn't releasing for another while, that's why it isn't getting a lot of attention: it's a pre-release DLC. As far as I'm concerned the Metal Gear franchise should be retired: they are just milking it at this point. Kojima should try to launch some new IPs if he wants to keep going with stealth games.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
That's exactly my problem: the game starts off very strong but fails to introduce any meaningful change to gameplay outside of the swimming sections which are minor. You start playing the game and it's really engaging but after 10 hours or so reality sets in: there's nothing more to this game.

I could see the argument being made that AC4 is similar to Skyrim: wide as an ocean but deep as a puddle.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Don't get me started on Skyrim

I absolutely hate that game, it is the embodiement of what's wrong with the video game indsutry: all flash and no substance whatsoever

I had a lot more fun playing AC4 though: the caribbean pirate setting hasn't had a AAA game since Monkey Island 3 and that was in what? 1999?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Oh ****, AND South Park. That game looks great.

If they ever get around to releasing the damned game :laugh:

They already did...

1076401585_1356603562.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad