Sens @ Leafs Oct 10 Heart Attack Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Wiercioch is just too soft at times and tonight was a prime example. He gave up the puck and put it in the slot.

I understand everyone has turnovers but when I look at our line up - the guy most likely to give up on a battle and turn it over is Wiercioch.

Sorry - that's just how it is. And it's always going to limit him. He's a big guy. He has never played like one.

I don't agree with the rest of your post but I do agree with this. The way I was thinking about it - we drop Condra (albeit a little reluctantly) to allow younger guys to develop but instead we have Neil/Smith. Not a shot at them but we know what they are... we should be trying to find out what we have with Prince (and to a lesser extent Puempel).

The issue with re-signing Condra was made clear that it was his term being an issue.

Neil is gone next year, Smith is gone in two years and should be moveable via trade during the final year of his deal since his cap hit his pretty low.

They didn't move on from Condra because they want young players in the lineup over him right now, they moved on from him because he was being offered a long term deal from Tampa, and next year or the year after he'd supposedly contribute to a log jam in the bottom 6 that was already evident last year.

Regarding the lineup, Neil in the lineup tonight was the right move. They can put Prince and Wideman in tomorrow against the softy Habs.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
As much as it was tough watching the blown leads, I was pretty happy with what I saw from most of the team tonight. Lots of soft calls both ways and crazy hops to create scoring.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Cowen didn't look like anything special to me. He is still slow and struggles to make plays with the puck.

I thought he was making GREAT plays with the puck all night, save for a few moments late in the game.

Really, I thought he was probably our 2nd best puck-moving defenceman all night, after EK. That's how impressed I was.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Hopefully we juggle our forwards around a bit for next game.. Can't take chia pet out since he scored so might as well try something like this

HST
Michalek-Zibby-Ryan
Mac-Pageau-Lazar (looks like a real solid 2 way line on paper)
CSN... no comment

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I thought he was making GREAT plays with the puck all night, save for a few moments late in the game.

Really, I thought he was probably our 2nd best puck-moving defenceman all night, after EK. That's how impressed I was.

People are blind sometimes. Cowen was taking his time, skating with the puck to make room and finding good options most of the time. He made one mistake, and that was really on Boro for not giving him options.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Hopefully we juggle our forwards around a bit for next game.. Can't take chia pet out since he scored so might as well try something like this

HST
Michalek-Zibby-Ryan
CSN... no comment

I think Lazar should stay with Zibanejad. Or at least I thought that was where he was. I think that Lazar's speed goes well with Zibanejad and Ryan. Pageau, Mac and Michalek make up a really good, defensive third line, with some speed, and some surprise offense. We will see how things play out, game to game.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I believe Wideman would give that bottom pairing a whole new dynamic. If he was beside Cowen, it would be an interesting pairing.

I think I agree with that although Boro has looked decent even handling, carrying the puck around successfully.
Really like cowens game tonight. Some room for improvement but overall pretty darn good.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

I believe Wideman would give that bottom pairing a whole new dynamic. If he was beside Cowen, it would be an interesting pairing.

Agreed with both of these posts. Especially the dynamic. I think not only for bottom pairing but for the entire team. We really need another wideman like player in the back end.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There

HST
Michalek-Zibby-Ryan
CSN... no comment

I like your top 3 lines, but disagree with the Chia comment. Replace him with Prince against MTL - would give that line another gear against a speedy team, and he's a LW.

If Weir is to sit then I'd like to see Boro with Ceci and Cowen with Wideman. With the exception of one behind the back pass late in the game (in the D zone no less!), Cowen made smart, safe plays with the puck last night.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I enjoyed the 'set play' (I don't know if it was) in 3 on 3 OT that literally consisted of spreading out the Leafs, then having Hoffman simply skate in a straight line as fast as he can, which was causing a breakdown until he bobbled the puck at the blueline.

Putting him and Karlsson out there instantly game breaks the 3 on 3 coverage.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
A bit inconsistent but overall a good game. I like what I've seen from the team in the first two games.

The top line looks dangerous every time they're on the ice, especially Hoffman. Karlsson and Methot have been a bit quiet but still very effective. Cowen has been our 3rd best D so far. Zib has exceeded expectations and has been consistent.

Bobby Ryan needs to put one in the net to get his confidence, let's hope it comes soon. I'm not at all confident in Wier playing on the 2nd pairing. I think Lazar should be in the AHL.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
I enjoyed the 'set play' (I don't know if it was) in 3 on 3 OT that literally consisted of spreading out the Leafs, then having Hoffman simply skate in a straight line as fast as he can, which was causing a breakdown until he bobbled the puck at the blueline.

Putting him and Karlsson out there instantly game breaks the 3 on 3 coverage.

Agree, Hoffman has jets and the play is designed to slow the opposition down and get them back on their heels then it's going to work more often than not (at least so far as generating chances).

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Decided to read this thread with mindset I didn't know the outcome of the game and if you didn't you would have thought the Leafs kicked our ass. #highexpectations

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
This is a postgame thread... Where the 4th line was very, very good, the only line that played particularly well aside from the Turris line... And tons of posts here are saying to replace parts of the line. Negativity that is just bleh, bleh, bleh.

I have been a big critic of Chiasson and Smith for quite a long time but... Come on! Smith had a great game. Not ok, or passable or good. Great! And landed 4 face punches, almost drew a penalty shot, and did draw a penalty... Driving to the net right off a line change. Chiasson scored a freaking goal! Showing his hands. Took that penalty for nothing, because of idiot reffing... Skate into my elbow... Neil got off a couple shots, was not bad whatsoever.

This is a post game thread. I guess people can just go on about their pet peeves and want whatever roster changes they want... But come on. That was one of the best and most effective games Smith ever played in the NHL. He was doing everything that he used to do, at his best moments, all in one game.

This is not the post game thread to talk smack about the 4th line. Maybe next game? I don't know... But if the line plays like they did tonight... We are in excellent shape for a 4th line.

I kind of doubt the line will be uber effective... And like I said... I have been critical of Chiasson and Smith here for quite awhile... But the end of the preseason, so far this year.... They have played quite well. A lot better then at times during the season last year.

Also Michalek... Was awesome. This game. Our best forward outside of the Turris line. I hope he keeps his mojo from this game. Is the net presence on the PP, and can make key plays on the PK like last night.

Pageau was kind of invisible. Even when on the converting PP Ryan was just not in the rhythm if the others. I expect to see Hoffman on the point instead of Ryan soon enough on the PP. watching the PP start to convert at the end of the preseason with a forward on the point. I liked Hoffman most, MacArthur second... Only Ryan has scared me there. Maybe Ryan as the net guy on the 2nd PP? And if he does well he can replace Michalek at times on the 1st? Idk.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
A lot of people seem to want Neil out of the lineup. But why? He's been very effective in the first two games. You can tell his foot speed improved and he's been making smart plays. Neil - Smith - Chiasson has been as good as you can hope to get from a 4th line IMO.

Only player I want to see sit is Lazar and maybe Wier.

Hoffman - Turris - Stone
MacArthur - Zbad - Ryan
Prince - Pageau - Michalek
Chiasson - Smith Neil

Methot- Karlsson
Cowen - Ceci
Boro - Wideman

Jerrico

Jan 21, 2007
I don't like the Zib-Ryan duo at all.

I want to see something like this:

Hoffman - Turris - Stone
Michalek - Pageau - Ryan
Prince - Zibanejad - Macarthur
Chiasson - Smith Neil

Lines 2 and 3 with equal ice time. Lazar in Bingo.

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
A lot of people seem to want Neil out of the lineup. But why? He's been very effective in the first two games. You can tell his foot speed improved and he's been making smart plays. Neil - Smith - Chiasson has been as good as you can hope to get from a 4th line IMO.

Only player I want to see sit is Lazar and maybe Wier.

Hoffman - Turris - Stone
MacArthur - Zbad - Ryan
Prince - Pageau - Michalek
Chiasson - Smith Neil

Methot- Karlsson
Cowen - Ceci
Boro - Wideman

Neil was awful. He can't keep up with the pace, never seems to know where he's going on the ice and the play always seems to die on his stick. Prince would completely transform that line.

I don't like Chiasson either, but that goal will ensure he's in the lineup for at least a few more games.

I suspect we'll see Wideman and Prince in the lineup in the near future. Need another smooth skating puck mover on the back end.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I can live with the forwards, but Weircoch needs to sit .If he isnt an offensive threat ,he really doesnt do much for us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad