Sens @ Leafs Oct 10 Heart Attack Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
But Wier isn't playing well...

It's still early though so I'm not going to fight too hard for changes in the lineup. But I have very little faith in Wiercioch in general. I think he's a decent 5/6 D man but that's it.

I'd like to see what we have in Wideman so if I were taking anyone out of the lineup it would be Weir.

We agree totally on the bolded!!!

I am not sure Weircoich is a good defenceman on any pairing the way he is playing so far this season.

IMO PW is just too soft, he is getting owned in most physical matchups and he is not hard on the puck whatsoever.

I believe it is time for PW to get a wakeup call. While I appreciate it is early, his play at both ends of the ice just hasn't been close to good enough.

Like you I think Wideman should be in the lineup tonight.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Us waiting on players, while we piss away opportunities to make some headway has happened for too long .If he is so mentally fragile that he cant take a benching after playing poorly then he will never develop

Right, like those 4 pts we've pissed away already... oh wait.

Maybe Chiasson instead because of his lack of discipline. Neil definitely has been fine.

I just don't like Smith + Neil on a line together and prefer Smith over Neil.

Chiasson's penalty last night was for Kadri skating into him and embellishing. It was refs getting caught, not lack of discipline. The roughing call he got with Phaneuf would never have resulted in a penalty to just him, if anything Phaneuf would have got the only call but with the leafs already shorthanded they just tossed both, and it was a really good exchange for us. You take that swap every time; bottom line forward for #1 dman.

Chiasson has played very well (relative to expectations) imo so far. I want Prince in, but nobody has done anything to warrant being taken out. Maybe with it being a back to back they'll take out somebody though.

Really want to see both prince and wideman in for the extra energy.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Yeah Wier didn't have a good game and he had a meh game in the first game of the season. The thing with that guy is confidence. If we sit him now, you'll shatter it. He needs to play. He'll get better. If he doesn't Wideman can come in.

I think the biggest issue right now is the zero chemistry for the second and third lines. ZBad and Ryan need to be split up.

If Cameron has to worry about PW's confidence forcing him to put PW in the lineup regardless of the quality of his play, then Murray should trade him now before it is too late.

PW is playing just like he did last season when he was being shopped.

While he did play better when the team when on their big run last season, was that a result of improved play by PW or was it a function of the whole team playing better which made PW look better?

IMO he needs to get the message now.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
just curious but what would wideman and prince fix. At the nhl level they are rookies and they've never been outstanding defensive players. The defence is still the problem and imo it should have been addressed from outside the organization

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Micklebot;107850525[B said:
]Right, like those 4 pts we've pissed away already... oh wait.[/B]

Chiasson's penalty last night was for Kadri skating into him and embellishing. It was refs getting caught, not lack of discipline. The roughing call he got with Phaneuf would never have resulted in a penalty to just him, if anything Phaneuf would have got the only call but with the leafs already shorthanded they just tossed both, and it was a really good exchange for us. You take that swap every time; bottom line forward for #1 dman.

Chiasson has played very well (relative to expectations) imo so far. I want Prince in, but nobody has done anything to warrant being taken out. Maybe with it being a back to back they'll take out somebody though.

Oh stop ,Weir was terrible ,doesnt mean he cant get better. But why should the team have to play around his struggles ,when we have another option :nod:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This is a postgame thread... Where the 4th line was very, very good, the only line that played particularly well aside from the Turris line... And tons of posts here are saying to replace parts of the line. Negativity that is just bleh, bleh, bleh.

I have been a big critic of Chiasson and Smith for quite a long time but... Come on! Smith had a great game. Not ok, or passable or good. Great! And landed 4 face punches, almost drew a penalty shot, and did draw a penalty... Driving to the net right off a line change. Chiasson scored a freaking goal! Showing his hands. Took that penalty for nothing, because of idiot reffing... Skate into my elbow... Neil got off a couple shots, was not bad whatsoever.

This is a post game thread. I guess people can just go on about their pet peeves and want whatever roster changes they want... But come on. That was one of the best and most effective games Smith ever played in the NHL. He was doing everything that he used to do, at his best moments, all in one game.

This is not the post game thread to talk smack about the 4th line. Maybe next game? I don't know... But if the line plays like they did tonight... We are in excellent shape for a 4th line.

I kind of doubt the line will be uber effective... And like I said... I have been critical of Chiasson and Smith here for quite awhile... But the end of the preseason, so far this year.... They have played quite well. A lot better then at times during the season last year.

Also Michalek... Was awesome. This game. Our best forward outside of the Turris line. I hope he keeps his mojo from this game. Is the net presence on the PP, and can make key plays on the PK like last night.

Pageau was kind of invisible. Even when on the converting PP Ryan was just not in the rhythm if the others. I expect to see Hoffman on the point instead of Ryan soon enough on the PP. watching the PP start to convert at the end of the preseason with a forward on the point. I liked Hoffman most, MacArthur second... Only Ryan has scared me there. Maybe Ryan as the net guy on the 2nd PP? And if he does well he can replace Michalek at times on the 1st? Idk.

All really good points.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
just curious but what would wideman and prince fix. At the nhl level they are rookies and they've never been outstanding defensive players. The defence is still the problem and imo it should have been addressed from outside the organization

Stone was a rookie last year, as was Hoffman. They brought a lot to the table last year.

Wideman would bring a different element to the backend than Boro or even Wiercioch depending on who comes out. I think the Habs could expose either one with their speed.

Prince was very good in preseason, I'd like to give him a shot. I think having 3 lines that can drive possession and Prince could help make that happen. I think he could look good either on the Zibanejad line (Ryan moving back to the RW and Lazar down) or on Smith's line (Neil out, Chiasson back on the RW).

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Speed,these two bring that,as far as their play with the puck can it be really worse??

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

IMO ... Prince brings an offensive element that could translate to more chances and possibly more O zone time. His better hands allow for more puck control. He too needs game time to improve.

Wideman will help our D zone by moving the puck quicker by the pass or using his feet. I think he can help getting the puck out of our end with control.

Ive seen a lot of trouble gaining control , moving the puck under control, keeping the puck when we get it and creating pressure and chances outside the PP & the top line.

I get that its early and we could continue to show patience. I am ok with that but the team has to be better. A 5-4 shoot out win over the leafs is a win in the standings and that in a few months will be all that matters but this team IMO can be better and the roster can be better.

These guys made the team. Showed well in the chances they have gotten so far. Can they improve the team? One way to find out.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I'm on board with putting Prince in, and going with

Prince-Zibby-Ryan
Michalek/MacA-Pageau-Lazar

It's only a matter of time before it happens, and I'm totally calling it right now that by around this time next season, Prince will be the new Hoffman :nod:

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Right, like those 4 pts we've pissed away already... oh wait.

Me calling Chiasson undisciplined had nothing to do with the game yesterday. He's taken a lot of dumb and untimely penalties since he got here.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Oh stop ,Weir was terrible ,doesnt mean he cant get better. But why should the team have to play around his struggles ,when we have another option :nod:

Well, you were the one being melodramatic about pissing away pts.

Sure, we have another option... that is entirely unproven. You don't just toss one guy aside for having 1 bad game (and another mediocre one) because you have some rookie that might be able to do as good of a job.

if anything, the time to try wideman would have been against Buffalo, but it made more sense to give the vets the opening game of the season. I want wideman in, but the Habs are a strong team. might not be the best game to try him out in.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Me calling Chiasson undisciplined had nothing to do with the game yesterday. He's taken a lot of dumb and untimely penalties since he got here.

And so far this season, he's been much better. In fact, the one penalty you could argue he deserved was actually a very good one to take.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

Sure, we have another option... that is entirely unproven. You don't just toss one guy aside for having 1 bad game (and another mediocre one) because you have some rookie that might be able to do as good of a job.

if anything, the time to try wideman would have been against Buffalo, but it made more sense to give the vets the opening game of the season. I want wideman in, but the Habs are a strong team. might not be the best game to try him out in.
Which is why i want to see someone else other than Wiercoch ,who has played terrible against weaker teams.Him hoping to regain his somewhat decent play against a strong team probably isnt something we should do either

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Which is why i want to see someone else other than Wiercoch ,who has played terrible against weaker teams.Him hoping to regain his somewhat decent play against a strong team probably isnt something we should do either

Devil you know over devil you don't I suppose. We know what the shelter Wier from, and how many solid mins he can give us.

Honestly, I've been most disappointed with Karlsson-Methot. They aren't even coming close to tilting the ice like they did together last season.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011

I'm in favour of scratching Wier for Wideman but not based only on two games played this season.

The end of last season did not sell me on Wier. It was the first stretch of more than 5 games where he was consistently effective, and it came at a time when the whole team was clicking.

Wier brings offence which is great, but he is slow as molasses and has no strength. Wideman brings offence too but he also brings speed. He may be small, but it's not like Wier uses his size anyway. Another benefit is having players on their proper side.

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Ceci
Borowiecki - Wideman

I'd like to see this lineup if Wier can't regain his form from the end of last year.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Honestly, I've been most disappointed with Karlsson-Methot. They aren't even coming close to tilting the ice like they did together last season.

They aren't as dominating but I don't mind the coach looking at deploying them a bit differently and trying to be less reliant on Karlsson to manufacture most of the offense by his lonesome

It might not end up working but if it does we'll have a better team

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
HST line, that is a good one, only problem is no one wants to pay hst. So far though its been a good harmonized scoring turret.

Usually the first 10 games of the season is for getting going, there is lot of upsets, and usually more fights. Dont think i'd want to make too many changes until then. A little more time to see what develops could work out better for decision making.

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
I'd like them to bring Wideman in but it would have to be for Wier because no one else deserves to sit out. However it means 2 pairings are affected. Which 2 guys would you want playing the 2nd most amount of time after EK and Methot. I suppose it would be Cowen and Ceci. A small consideration is that it puts your 3 most offensive D on the right side (right for passing and shots) but it shouldn't be a major issue. The bonus is that no one have to play on their back hand.

Smith looks like his old self. He's been playing really well. Chiasson has accepted his role and has played well also. Neil looks faster. They are the 4th line and have done their job. Once in a while they've been boxed in but that happens to every line and they weren't the worse. They had some good cycles of their own in the O-zone. I can't find fault with that line they have a job and they do it. Same goes for the Turris line. The in-between lines are a bit hit and miss in my book and should be re-arranged.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
HST line, that is a good one, only problem is no one wants to pay hst. So far though its been a good harmonized scoring turret.

Usually the first 10 games of the season is for getting going, there is lot of upsets, and usually more fights. Dont think i'd want to make too many changes until then. A little more time to see what develops could work out better for decision making.

That is a pretty good one. Works with the HST/Senate/Government theme, but sounds a little funner/descriptive.

I am still waiting for the day where we have a good line with three players who have first or last names that start with E. The Triple E Line would be a perfect nickname.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Speed,these two bring that,as far as their play with the puck can it be really worse??

And Montreal's biggest strength is speed. I'd pull out our slower guys Neil and Weir For Prince and Wideman. Neil had an amazing game but speed could expose him.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Stone was a rookie last year, as was Hoffman. They brought a lot to the table last year.

Wideman would bring a different element to the backend than Boro or even Wiercioch depending on who comes out. I think the Habs could expose either one with their speed.

Prince was very good in preseason, I'd like to give him a shot. I think having 3 lines that can drive possession and Prince could help make that happen. I think he could look good either on the Zibanejad line (Ryan moving back to the RW and Lazar down) or on Smith's line (Neil out, Chiasson back on the RW).

Both Stone and Hoffman were eased into the NHL. They didnt hit the ground running in their first few games. Im more or less playing devils advocate. I like both Prince and Wideman but as far as defense goes i think we dont have what we need on the team. Both Prince and Wideman can bring their own defensive deficiencies.

ITs just when i hear people say the defense has been bad i dont think immediately that prince and wideman can change that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad