Confirmed with Link: Sens Hire Martin Raymond as Assistant Coach

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ

Never heard of the guy. Not sure if it's for Bingo or Ottawa.

Martin Raymond worked twice with Guy Boucher , Once with the with the Hamilton Bulldogs in 2009-2010 in the AHL and with the Tampa Bay Tampa Bay Lightning again as Boucher's Assistant from 2010-13. They are friends and as you can see they have an history togetter , you can say that Raymond is Boucher's right hand man.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Seems as though the Sens have finalized their bench, officially adding Martin Raymond to be the 2nd assistant behind Marc Crawford. It had been rumored for a while, but this makes it official.

NOTES:

1) NacMac, I know you posted this in the Bingo Coaches thread, but I felt it deserved it's own thread.

2) THIS IS NOT "MARTY RAYMOND", AKA: "the former Ducks coach who was accused of anti-semitism while he was coaching the Ducks AHL affiliate". This is an entirely different "Marty Raymond". They are not the same guy. I was confused about that too, but apparently there are actually two "Marty Raymond"s who are hockey coaches. We got the guy who isn't allegedly kind of racist, so that's good. The "Marty Raymond" who was accused of anti-semitism now coaches in Austria, which is... well, kind of ironic, I suppose.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Seems as though the Sens have finalized their bench, officially adding Martin Raymond to be the 2nd assistant behind Marc Crawford. It had been rumored for a while, but this makes it official.

NOTES:

1) NacMac, I know you posted this in the Bingo Coaches thread, but I felt it deserved it's own thread.

2) THIS IS NOT "MARTY RAYMOND", AKA: "the former Ducks coach who was accused of anti-semitism while he was coaching the Ducks AHL affiliate". This is an entirely different "Marty Raymond". They are not the same guy. I was confused about that too, but apparently there are actually two "Marty Raymond"s who are hockey coaches. We got the guy who isn't allegedly kind of racist, so that's good. The "Marty Raymond" who was accused of anti-semitism now coaches in Austria, which is... well, kind of ironic, I suppose.

One more experienced guy in the mix. Boucher, Crawford, Raymond, Cookson and Proulx makes for a lot of experience.

This is probably as good of a coaching staff as we've had since Martin and Neilsen were together behind the bench with Pearn and Jackson.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
One more experienced guy in the mix. Boucher, Crawford, Raymond, Cookson and Proulx makes for a lot of experience.

This is probably as good of a coaching staff as we've had since Martin and Neilsen were together behind the bench with Pearn and Jackson.

Agreed wholeheartedly, I was never comfortable since Bryan Murray vacated the position, and I see Boucher/Crawford as a tandem that has the potential to work really well with our smallish top-6 (I am not sure if the teams that they coached in SWI where giants either, so they likely know how to work with the lack of size in the middle).

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
The team is already putting the Zibanejad savings to work!

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
We will see how it all translates into actual performance one ice, but thus far I am pleased with how Dorion and Boucher are "rebuilding" the team. New GM hires a new coach who has the autonomy to hire his staff (who knows how a Boucher system works). I like how they recruited Crow as an "associate". And PD is showing the maturity of a GM who recognizes that you cannot be a "young" up and comer forever (see Oilers of Edmonton), and is being prudent in bringing the age and experience index at a level where most competitive teams peak.

Guy likes!

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Why would we hire Mason Raymond as a coach? Does he have a background in this sort of thing?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Keeping it "All in the Family". They've coached together already in Tampa and other places

The coaching fraternity is a pretty small one. I imagine you can find a like in most coaching hires if you look.

When I think of Nepotism, I think of unqualified, or under qualified guys being given jobs. Doesn't really seem to apply here.

Would people cry nepotism if Crawford convinced Quennville to jump ship and reunite from their days in Colorado?

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
I brought the nepotism thing when they hired the last guy; every one of our coaching staff has some pretty close relationship with Guy or Marc.

I'm not saying that they aren't going to be great coaches, or are not qualified but are they really the best fit, or just the most familiar?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I brought the nepotism thing when they hired the last guy; every one of our coaching staff has some pretty close relationship with Guy or Marc.

I'm not saying that they aren't going to be great coaches, or are not qualified but are they really the best fit, or just the most familiar?

Depends what you mean by best fit?

Well, being familiar with an assistant coach would lead me to believe that Boucher thinks that Raymond fits in with the direction Boucher wants to go.

He isn't just hiring him because he likes him.

I highly doubt that there are many assistant coach hiring's where the Asst. and head coach aren't known to each other.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I'd much rather they have a link to Boucher and Crawford than Melnyk.

Seems like a vast improvement over the past allegations of nepotism.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
How so? Our head coach has worked with, and liked working with him, why wouldn't we hire the guy?

What guys could we have hired that wouldn't be considered nepotism?

The definition of nepotism is people in positions of power favouring friends when it comes to hiring.

Raymond was fired two seasons ago after a horrible season as the head coach of Drummondville. Hardly an impressive resume, even for an assistant coach position.

Say what you will about Dave Cameron, but at least he had proven he was one of the best coaches in the OHL when we hired him to be an assistant. Raymond flunked out of the Q and got a major promotion. Other than that, only decent coaching position he has held has been an assistant coach to Boucher.

Cookson was a nepotism hire too, but at least he's qualified.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Raymond flunked out of the Q and got a major promotion. Other than that, only decent coaching position he has held has been an assistant coach to Boucher.

Who cares? He's not here to be our head coach, or even our associate coach. He'll be assistant.

And nepotism would be if Melnyk or Dorion hired a friend or relative as coach or assistant or associate coach. When a coach chooses his own coaching staff that's just textbook. Not nepotism.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The definition of nepotism is people in positions of power favouring friends when it comes to hiring.

Raymond was fired two seasons ago after a horrible season as the head coach of Drummondville. Hardly an impressive resume, even for an assistant coach position.

Say what you will about Dave Cameron, but at least he had proven he was one of the best coaches in the OHL when we hired him to be an assistant. Raymond flunked out of the Q and got a major promotion. Other than that, only decent coaching position he has held has been an assistant coach to Boucher.

Hockey Canada seemed to think well enough of Raymond to name him to the national Junior teams staff back in 2014-15. Perhaps there are some that disagree with your assessment out there with regards to his abilities as a coach.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008

Guys, did you know that not one single good coach has ever been fired? Only the pure garbage ones get fired.

Wait. GUY BOUCHER AND MARC CRAWFORD WERE FIRED BEFORE! Damnit! Now our whole coaching staff is terrible because they got fired at least once in their careers!

Time to throw in the towel on this season.

Who are the top 3 picks in the draft next year? Might as well read up on them since our coaching staff are all losers who got fired.

Also, Babcock just coached the Leafs to a 1st overall selection. I guess he should get fired because he coached the Leafs to a horrible season. I guess he's a terrible coach now too. I bet his resume sucks now.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad