Pre-Game Talk: Sens @ Flyers Apr. 2 1 p.m. Eastern| MOD Warning in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
You know things are bad when Kostka is on your second pairing and plays 20 minutes.

The PP and PK have been a disaster for us all season long and it continued (the PK tonight).

We're bottom 3 in both.

Dont see anything special with Kostka.

Anxious to see what changes come this off season.

He's 30 years old. Just a callup in case of injuries. I don't think we're suppose to see anything.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Flyers fans are the greatest

Can't wait for them to become contenders again when their young D start making an impact

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Neil got lucky there. We got the PP on that, so swallow your pride and skate away. Don't give the refs the chance to even it up.

Normally would agree. Initiate don't retaliate...
but just saying in this nothing game Neil isn't going to let it go rightly or wrongly

Last edited:

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Hammond was good. Left out to dry on those PP goals... Promising for next year

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Boro, Weir, & Cowen were pretty bad

Not as bad as Harpur, Kostka and to a lesser extent Claesson. Wideman did ok but he's not exactly a defensive stalwart either.

You could tell we were sorely lacking in overall talent today. Some of our better players were also very inconsistent(Ryan I'm looking at you).

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I swear I see a crouse Hoffman swap coming.

That is exactly the sort of thing thats likely to happen

Or traded for some hard nosed player whose best days were five years ago.

zone_extreme.gif

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Yea I know. Just weird to see him play so much.

Who decides the call ups?

Who else would you have called up though? Phaneuf, Methot, Wiercioch and Borowiecki are all injured (Methot has the flu and could return soon).

Claesson, Wideman and now Harpur are playing for us.

I honestly don't know who's next that we can call up. Who would take Kostka's spot?

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Who else would you have called up though? Phaneuf, Methot, Wiercioch and Borowiecki are all injured (Methot has the flu and could return soon).

I honestly don't know who's next that we can call up.

Is Buddy Robinson still injured?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Normally would agree. Initiate don't retaliate...
but just saying in this nothing game it Neil isn't going to let it go rightly or wrongly

You can always take the guy's number and get him back later on in the game. Neil is the veteran savvy guy who is supposed to know better...especially after already being targeted with that misconduct earlier.

Anyway....game is done. If the refs were doing their job, chances are we would've had 5-6 powerplays this game and the final score might've been different.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

I honestly don't know who's next that we can call up. Who would take Kostka's spot?

I think he's more concerned that Kostka has been up in Ottawa for a while now already.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

Hasn't Kostka been playing for some time now and before all the injuries to our regulars happened?

I don't have much of a problem with him just nothing special to me. Probably more attentative to that because they are playing players who are most likely gone this off season in specific situations when we could be using the remaining games to get a good look at the likes of Paul in said situations

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Is Buddy Robinson still injured?

It's interesting.

Kostka is at what? ~82 games total experience in the NHL.
Wideman has played ~60 games this season only.
Claesson has less than 20 games experience.
Harpur has what 2 games of experience now?

Ceci is 22. He has ~200 games
Karlsson is 25. He'll reach 500 some time in the first half of next season.

They're the "veterans" of our defense right now. And Karlsson has more experience than all of them (including Ceci) combined.

Ceci has more experience than all of them combined excluding Karlsson.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Hasn't Kostka been playing for some time now and before all the injuries to our regulars happened?

I don't have much of a problem with him just nothing special to me. Probably more attentative to that because they are playing players who are most likely gone this off season in specific situations when we could be using the remaining games to get a good look at the likes of Paul in said situations

Agreed! Hasn't been the way though has it. DC has his own evals and in his mind he is trying to win. He needs direction.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
You can always take the guy's number and get him back later on in the game. Neil is the veteran savvy guy who is supposed to know better...especially after already being targeted with that misconduct earlier.

Anyway....game is done. If the refs were doing their job, chances are we would've had 5-6 powerplays this game and the final score might've been different.

Neil knew there was already a minor on Guada cheese head. He knew he was going to get coincidentals after that. I mean Neil kind of has made a 15 year career out of doing exactly what he did. Neil did nothing bad this game.

Neil gets 12 minutes in penalties and the overall affect was that Neil drew Ottawa's only PP of the game.

By my count Neil just got to 163 PIMs to lead the league now from being 3rd with those 12 minutes.

Would be nice for Neil to lead in PIMs for the first time!!!!

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

I'm sure the organization has a plan... and it seems you're more concerned about forwards.

In terms of defense - Wideman was the only guy on the radar and he had just signed and he was going to get his shot at the NHL.

Considering we now have two young guys (Claesson, Harpur) getting their chances right now...

Kostka is 30. It sounds bad but I'm guessing the organization and Cameron are just using the guy. He's 30. The chances he becomes an NHL regular are miniscule. You don't want to throw Harpur or Wideman or Claesson to the wolves.

So they hide Claesson with Karlsson and they try to shelter Wideman and Harpur by playing Kostka with Ceci.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I'm sure the organization has a plan... and it seems you're more concerned about forwards.

In terms of defense - Wideman was the only guy on the radar and he had just signed and he was going to get his shot at the NHL.

Considering we now have two young guys (Claesson, Harpur) getting their chances right now...

Kostka is 30. It sounds bad but I'm guessing the organization and Cameron are just using the guy. He's 30. The chances he becomes an NHL regular are miniscule. You don't want to throw Harpur or Wideman or Claesson to the wolves.

So they hide Claesson with Karlsson and they try to shelter Wideman and Harpur by playing Kostka with Ceci.

Kostka was signed to do exactly what he has done. Got a large AHL salary to be a vet on that D-core and to be the 8th/9th Senator defenceman if their were injuries/and or no prospect D in Bingo was ready to be called up.

Kostka played both roles well and management was smart to sign him to do those roles.

Kostka did exactly his job and management should not be criticized in anyway for picking him up this year. They should be praised if anything.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I think part of the point was concerning the forwards in trying to get Paul some of the ice that Chiasson (as an example) was getting on special teams to allow his game to grow and to allow some real teaching/coaching to take place as well as evaluation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad