Confirmed with Link: Sens Extend Methot - 4 years, $4.9 million per year

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
Damn for a owner with no money I am surprised we signed methot

They've always said they had what they thought was enough money to retain their pending UFAs. Looks like they were right. I'm glad he's here for 4 more years. Without him, Ottawa would only have one actual proven top 4 defenceman on the team: Karlsson.

Real issue will be what, if anything, the team tries to add through trade or free agency in the off season. Then we'll see if the budget is still hand-cuffing this team.

elicw10

Mar 19, 2007
I second the calls to put an A on his sweater.
Hometown discount, he should be rewarded. He's now one of my favorite players. Reminder when he retires to buy a car at his used car shop or something. Considering Ontario taxes, what he would have got on the open market, I commend his loyalty.

This is how you build a contender. Reasonable contracts, committing to the right people for a long time, getting the people that want to play for the franchise.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
I'm happy I was wrong! From speaking with one of his friends it didn't seem very promising!

Good term, good $ Murray still has it!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Relieved that it's done.

now to send as much good karma to Methot's back as possible. It's gotta hold out for at least 4 years now.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Relieved that it's done.

now to send as much good karma to Methot's back as possible. It's gotta hold out for at least 4 years now.

He probably left 2-3 million dollars (before tax) on the table to play for the Senators

It's also up to the team and management to live up to his decision to stay

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Great move. Keeps us moving in the right direction. Losing methot would have been a major step backwards. 2-3 more pieces and i think we have a shot at being a solid playoff team which great because the young core will only get better.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
It appears that the sticking points that had to be overcome were:

Methot wanting $5.5+ then dropping his rock bottom to $5M
Methot asking for a 5-6 year deal
Methot wanting a full nmv (no less than 15 teams)

The Sens offer of $4.5M-$4.7M the most they wanted to pay for a defensive D
The Sens wanted a shorter term of 3-4 years
The Sens offered a limited nmc (10 teams). They've been burned in the past with too many teams on a players nmc.

The final deal:
4 years
$4.9M average
Limited nmc (10 teams)

Looks like Methot really meant it when he said he wanted to stay.

It's a good deal. Now we will soon find out which D on the team is expendable. All signs point to Wier but with Methot, Boro, Gryba and to a lesser extent Cowen being mostly defensive type D's the Sens may have to rethink their long term plan. To be succesfull they will need more offense from the back end.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
More like 42-47%....he's basically getting half.

The highest an individual can pay in taxes in canada is 35% on his highest tax bracket, the majority if his salary is in that bracket tho, don't know how he would have to pay more in taxes. I have no idea about agent fee's I doubt its above 5% but what do I know?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The highest an individual can pay in taxes in canada is 35% on his highest tax bracket, the majority if his salary is in that bracket tho, don't know how he would have to pay more in taxes. I have no idea about agent fee's I doubt its above 5% but what do I know?

Uhmmm that's not even close to true....

Federal tax rates in 2015 are 29% alone for anything over 138k. Ontario tax rates are around 13% for anything over 220k. So that 42% for the majority of his income.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

He is paying much more that 35%, you have to include more than Federal taxes

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013

According to this tax calculator

http://www.drtax.ca/en/DTMax/support/calculator.aspx

With a 4.9M tax income in Ontario, he would take home 2.498M, therefore taxed at 49%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad