Player Discussion Sens Claim Anton Forsberg (G)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
People talk about buy outs this is the one that actually makes sense.

It's certainly worth contemplating,

The problem is who's your tandem going forward, Forsberg looks great now, but is 29 with 83 NHL games to his name, this is the only season he's cracked .910 in his career. He also isn't signed yet.

Gus isn't ready to be a starter, might not quite be there as a backup either.

My patience is running out with Murray, he's shown flashes but you can't be getting hurt so much if you're going to be relied on as a starter.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Georgiev is trash. Easy pass.

I'd have some interest in Georgiev on a trial run, but he's a throw-in at best. Probably carries similar value to Forsberg, maybe a bit less.

The problem is who's your tandem going forward, Forsberg looks great now, but is 29 with 83 NHL games to his name, this is the only season he's cracked .910 in his career. He also isn't signed yet.

My patience is running out with Murray, he's shown flashes but you can't be getting hurt so much if you're going to be relied on as a starter.
I wonder if we look at one of the Caps young goalies. They will need to choose at some point, both are impending RFAs, and there is a lot of noise about them trying to add a vet before the deadline.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

This has become their biggest decision, what to do with the goaltending going into next yr? Paul's contract has diminished in comparison & this needs to be solved asap. Of course, we have also seen this before with some other goalies going on streaks near the end of the season being re-signed & sucking the next yr, Hammond & Hogberg comes to mind.

I think they are as concerned as we are about what to do given Murray's constant health issues & play at times. I assume that after the TDL or maybe even sooner they need to give Gus some games to assess whether he can be the backup next season & what his potential is moving forward. The decision could be made for them if someone offers a package they can't refuse for Forsberg at the TDL. Otherwise they could keep him all yr, play Gus & assess & make the decision after the season. It's a really tough call right now.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Gus is absolutely there as a back up he has been the best of the three this season when they have all played at the same time. He just has had no opportunities to play in front of this team when it hasnt been an absolute tire fire. He has started 1 game in 2022 which is essentially when they started since to play NHL level team defense as a group and lost 2-1 in a goalie battle to Sheshterkin.

If anything he needs reps and thats why they gotta get rid of Murray. Murray disrups any flow this team has, I am sure forsberg would sign for a few years at a couple million. They are still ahead in salary and cap space once Murray is bought out.

I'd have some interest in Georgiev on a trial run, but he's a throw-in at best. Probably carries similar value to Forsberg, maybe a bit less.

I wonder if we look at one of the Caps young goalies. They will need to choose at some point, both are impending RFAs, and there is a lot of noise about them trying to add a vet before the deadline.
Why the sens have Gustavsson? Doesnt make sense he is a really good goalie prospect. Has pedigree, moves incredibly well, great technically, calm and only 23 years old. He has show consistent improvement. He needs an actual chance.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Gus is absolutely there as a back up he has been the best of the three this season when they have all played at the same time. He just has had no opportunities to play in front of this team when it hasnt been an absolute tire fire. He has started 1 game in 2022 which is essentially when they started since to play NHL level team defense as a group and lost 2-1 in a goalie battle to Sheshterkin.

It's hard to evaluate Gus, the team was terrible in front of him, But he doesn't have a lot of NHL games under his belt, and he hasn't lit the AHL on fire. I like him, but I'd say he's still a question mark. We should try and get him some games to see where he's at imo. Ideally we need to figure it out prior to the trade deadline.

Reactions: Alfie11

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It's hard to evaluate Gus, the team was terrible in front of him, But he doesn't have a lot of NHL games under his belt, and he hasn't lit the AHL on fire. I like him, but I'd say he's still a question mark. We should try and get him some games to see where he's at imo. Ideally we need to figure it out prior to the trade deadline.
Yes he needs games, but from an actual talent stand point and technical he is far and away the best goalie in the system. There is so much more to goaltending than numbers. This year is such a good example of that. Goalies dont usually even make the NHL until they are in their mid to late 20's he is tracking faster than the average. Going up and down like a yo yo cant be good for his development. They gotta get him some consistency in one league or the other. Murray has been a disaster creating this type of situation. Never seen anyone get hurt or 'sick' his teammates probably cant stand it. Better to just get him outta this room and run with guys that are commited to being an NHL athlete and to their teammates.

Reactions: Yak

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yes he needs games, but from an actual talent stand point and technical he is far and away the best goalie in the system. There is so much more to goaltending than numbers. This year is such a good example of that. Goalies dont usually even make the NHL until they are in their mid to late 20's he is tracking faster than the average. Going up and down like a yo yo cant be good for his development. They gotta get him some consistency in one league or the other. Murray has been a disaster creating this type of situation. Never seen anyone get hurt or 'sick' his teammates probably cant stand it. Better to just get him outta this room and run with guys that are commited to being an NHL athlete and to their teammates.

I don't disagree with anything your saying, I just don't think we can rely on underlying talent to translate into NHL goalie right away. He might, and I'm all for giving him the opportunity to prove it, but we need a backup plan

Reactions: bert

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Another year in the NHL might be good for Gus, but it’s time for him to be a backup in the NHL on our team.

Soogard needs his room to play in Belleville, and Meiraleininninin, is on his way as well.

We don’t know who will be best from that group, but we need the pipeline to keep moving. Especially since we are essentially developing at each position right now, we need one of the goalie kids doing the same in my opinion.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I was way wrong about Forsberg. I saw a meh backup. His play has improved dramatically, kudos to him for all that. He looks amazing and its no longer one game on one game off. He's been consistently very good. Very good signing and subsequent re-signing.

Reactions: SensFactor

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
If we’re sending him to the minors he should just be bought out to save the team 5 million dollars overall, and 5 million next season. No point in spending 7 million on a guy in the AHL when we can pay him 2.5 next year to be bought out.

For a regular NHL team it would be a no-brainer. But for this particualr team, how much more dead money can they really afford? How much do they have right now in buyout money? And you know that White absolutely must be bought out, which will add 850

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
For a regular NHL team it would be a no-brainer. But for this particualr team, how much more dead money can they really afford? How much do they have right now in buyout money? And you know that White absolutely must be bought out, which will add 850
If you want to break down the money it would work this way.

Currently committed to 7M next year and 8M the year after for Murray.

If you buy out Murray the number is 2.5M per year for 4 years.

Forsberg would cost about 2M on a 2 year deal IMO. That reduces spend on goaltending by 2.5 next year and 3.5 the year after. That money can be used elsewhere.

Year 3 and 4 of the buyout we are likely envisioning Gus or someone else as our started. Either way total goalie dollar allocation can be sub 10M even with the 2.5M allocated to the last 2 year of the buyout. The team had planned on about 10M in the last year of Murray's contract so this all falls within their planned goalie allocation.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I worry that Forsberg is one of those late bloomers that just figures it out. He has that friggin' look to him and his game. Is this the Hamburglar? Or is it the second coming of Craig Anderson? Man oh man

Last edited:
Reactions: Ice-Tray and DrEasy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I've come to the conclusion we absolutely need to sign Forsberg for next year. Give him a two year contract at $1.5M and at least we know we have a super reliable backup in the short term.
I think he will cost a little more on a 2 year contract. I'm thinking 2M.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I've never really been a big believer in Gustavsson, so if the Sens opt to re-sign Forsberg and trade Gustavsson for a pick, I won't be mad.

Not convinced that Forsberg is anything but a decent backup on a hot streak ala Hammond. Condon and Nilsson, but who knows. Goalies are weird.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I do find it amusing that the Sens have made the wrong decision pretty much every time when it comes to choosing which goalies to keep and which goalies to trade or let go:

2014: Kept Anderson and Lehner and traded Bishop, who went on to be an elite goalie with Tampa almost immediately
2015: Re-signed the Hamburglar for 4.05M/3YRs and traded Lehner, who's been a top 10 goalie by SV% since then
2017: Re-signed Condon for 7.2M/3YRs, dumped Hammond in the Duchene trade (probably giving up a pick to do so)
2019: Dumped Condon, re-signed Nilsson for 5.2M/2YRs, who regressed next year and then got a career ending injury

No matter what option we choose, I'm sure it'll be the wrong one.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I do find it amusing that the Sens have made the wrong decision pretty much every time when it comes to choosing which goalies to keep and which goalies to trade or let go:

2014: Kept Anderson and Lehner and traded Bishop, who went on to be an elite goalie with Tampa almost immediately
2015: Re-signed the Hamburglar for 4.05M/3YRs and traded Lehner, who's been a top 10 goalie by SV% since then
2017: Re-signed Condon for 7.2M/3YRs, dumped Hammond in the Duchene trade (probably giving up a pick to do so)
2019: Dumped Condon, re-signed Nilsson for 5.2M/2YRs, who regressed next year and then got a career ending injury

No matter what option we choose, I'm sure it'll be the wrong one.

It's a funny observation but a little more nuanced than that IMO.

I'm not convinced that Bishop was the far better goalie than Anderson, or Lehner for that matter. He did have the luxury of playing for some competitive and defensively solid teams.

Lehner was a head-case and it took trading him to sort him out eventually. He's still a loose cannon IMO.

Hammond, Condon and Nilsson were small potatoes.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
This has become their biggest decision, what to do with the goaltending going into next yr? Paul's contract has diminished in comparison & this needs to be solved asap. Of course, we have also seen this before with some other goalies going on streaks near the end of the season being re-signed & sucking the next yr, Hammond & Hogberg comes to mind.

I think they are as concerned as we are about what to do given Murray's constant health issues & play at times. I assume that after the TDL or maybe even sooner they need to give Gus some games to assess whether he can be the backup next season & what his potential is moving forward. The decision could be made for them if someone offers a package they can't refuse for Forsberg at the TDL. Otherwise they could keep him all yr, play Gus & assess & make the decision after the season. It's a really tough call right now.

Murray is definitely a concern as he is injury prone with a high salary contract. I would trade him if there were any interested teams willing to take his total contract off our hands. Then sign Forsberg.

Buying out Murray would cost $2.5M over 4 seasons at a total cost of $10M, saving the team $5M.

Reactions: Senovision

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Murray is definitely a concern as he is injury prone with a high salary contract. I would trade him if there were any interested teams willing to take his total contract off our hands. Then sign Forsberg.

Buying out Murray would cost $2.5M over 4 seasons at a total cost of $10M, saving the team $5M.

This is going to be a big decision for this franchise whether they make it before the TDL or in the off season & it's 50/50 whether it goes good or bad IMO. Imagine buying out Murray & he goes somewhere else & turns that team into a contender & Forsberg falls back to earth & is just okay with us.

The exact same thing could happen where Forsberg goes to a team & helps them win a SC & Murray sucks here. What to do, what to do? Hopefully whoever they decide to keep turns into the right move for this team, they absolutely need quality NHL goaltending if they have any hope to contend next season.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
This is going to be a big decision for this franchise whether they make it before the TDL or in the off season & it's 50/50 whether it goes good or bad IMO. Imagine buying out Murray & he goes somewhere else & turns that team into a contender & Forsberg falls back to earth & is just okay with us.

The exact same thing could happen where Forsberg goes to a team & helps them win a SC & Murray sucks here. What to do, what to do? Hopefully whoever they decide to keep turns into the right move for this team, they absolutely need quality NHL goaltending if they have any hope to contend next season.

Getting rid of Murray and his contract via trade would be the best option at this time, even if we have to eat some of his salary.

Reactions: Senovision

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Getting rid of Murray and his contract via trade would be the best option at this time, even if we have to eat some of his salary.

Are you not at all concerned about how Forsberg could play next yr, he has been afterall a bit of a journeyman backup goalie so far in his career? I believe we are his 4th NHL team. I know goalies take longer & can play longer into their careers, but there is no guarantee either way which one could be better next season & beyond.

Or whether Forsberg can keep playing as well as he has lately, he has also had some tough games earlier in the season. Maybe if the defence & the team as a whole get better defensively the goaltending should as well, but he has to stay consistent for this team to contend soon. It's a tough call either way.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site

After 4 years brutal goaltending from 2008-2011, Anderson came in and instantly brought stability. There's no way the team was going to throw that away to go with two inexperienced goalies. Lehner was 5 years younger than Bishop and one of the top goalie prospects in hockey. Easy decision.
Unfortunately, somebody needed to give up on Lehner to give him a kick in the butt.

The saddest part in all of this for me is that Ottawa hasn't been able to draft a legit starter through 30 years.
60 game seasons = 0
50 game seasons = 5 (2 Lehner, 2 Elliott, 1 Emery)

Montreal Draft picks since 1992 (13/27 were 60+ game seasons)
50 game seasons = 27 (8 Price, 7 Vokoun, 7 Theodore, 4 Halak, 1 Garon)

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I worry that Forsberg is one of those late bloomers that just figures it out. He has that friggin' look to him and his game. Is this the Hamburglar? Or is it the second coming of Craig Anderson? Man oh man

In my opinion you have to roll with it. Better to give a small contract and get pinched, than trade him away and watch him crush it for years while crying in the corner :)

Honestly, he’s earned that from us I think.

Reactions: BigRig4 and Yak
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad