Send Deveaux down (11/30 TSN: WAIVED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisKreider20

But y u mad?
Jul 21, 2004
Toronto
you guys who are saying its no big deal would probably be singing a different tune if someone on florida elbowed richards or gaborik in the head.

Most people don't think it wasn't a big deal.
My opinion is that he wasn't trying to hurt him - he just stupidly put up his elbow after Fleischmann avoided his check.
It was a dumb play, but I'm not going to be as hard on Deveaux as I would be on lets say Ryan Hollweg, because its his first offense.

It was one of the dumbest plays I've seen, but I do not think it was intent to injure (ie: Deveaux wasn't trying to elbow him in the head). However given the crackdown on headshots, the stupidity of the play, he should get a decent suspension.

Imclaudelemieux

Sep 21, 2011
you guys who are saying its no big deal would probably be singing a different tune if someone on florida elbowed richards or gaborik in the head.

Yeah but that's not what happened. I'm glad Deveaux destroyed one of their top players. Clean or not. Old time hockey.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida

This.

I was around for the broad street bullies days.

I was at the game when Dale rolfe got his arse kicked.

We pay to see the Fleishmans play not the goons.

I am so impressed by this thread and the large majority who are disgusted by it.

Good on you boys.

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
We're a team whose top dman is out with a concussion, whose sniper was concussed and half-useless last season, and who took a huge long term gamble on a previously concussed elite center. We should send a message that we don't welcome cheap shots like the one Deveaux took last night. Send him down.

Oh, and we could also do without the stupid penalties.

This is not a thread about bringing Zuc back...

OMG is this post serious? cause if it is then I have lost all hope for hockey and it's fans.. Let's send down Gabby cause he scores goals and we want other teams not to do it either.. omg i am so not understanding the logic

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Send him down because he's not great. The elbow was dirty, but I was hoping he'd be sent down soon anyway.

He's alright as a cheap 4th liner, but we need a third line, not a 4th line.

Hagelin and MZA, please.

SauceCheese91

Sep 14, 2011
Agreed, send Deveaux down...he has been fine as 4th line player, but we need some speed and energy right now on this team, call up Hagelin and give him a chance. We have too many players like Newbury, Mitchell on this team already and right now we desperately need some speed.

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007
Deveaux, Christensen, Avery, Prust, Boyle, Fedotenko....

NEEDS MORE OFFENSE!

Send down Deveaux, banish Christensen, call up Zuccs/Hagelin

Dubinsky - Richards - Gaborik
Hagelin - Anisimov - Callahan
Avery - Stepan - MZA
Feds - Boyle - Prust

ChrisKreider20

But y u mad?
Jul 21, 2004
Toronto
Why is everyone obsessed with Hagelin?
The guy is a 3rd liner. He doesn't even put a 1PPG in the AHL. He will come here and add no more offense than Fedotenko or Prust for that matter.
If we want more offense, you call up MZA - that's it.

Personally I'd like to see this:

Avery-Richards-Gaborik (I think his skating could be quite complementary)

Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan (Just try it again - we gave up on it too quick)

Fedotenko-Stepan-MZA (Decent 3rd scoring line)

Prust - Boyle - Christensen (but replace as soon as Rupp gets back)

When healthy:

Wolski-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Avery-Stepan- MZA
Fedotenko/Prust-Boyle-Rupp

We have too many unskilled players. You watch other teams, they have no issues carrying a puck into a zone. Too much dump and chase. We have guys who can score on the rush, we just to encourage it.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
This is Hagelin's first stint in professional hockey. Not just AHL, but professional hockey.

Zuccarello had like 6 points in his first 23 AHL games last year, and had just come from several pro years in the SEL.

Hagelin is not a skill-less player. He is off to a fantastic start, better than most anyone expected.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Too much dump and chase. We have guys who can score on the rush, we just to encourage it.
Isnt that pretty much the Torts mantra though ? The Rangers entire playstyle for several years seems to have been basically "dump the puck into the corner and go battle along the boards". Then eventually "grind" the opposition down..

Thats my observation at least :)

bluecollarblueshirt*

yeah an if they can get their forecheck going the dump and chase isn't too bad. But most teams are just playing transitional hockey and using their speed to skate across the blue line. So maybe torts needs to change it up a little and see if it works out

ChrisKreider20

But y u mad?
Jul 21, 2004
Toronto
Isnt that pretty much the Torts mantra though ? The Rangers entire playstyle for several years seems to have been basically "dump the puck into the corner and go battle along the boards". Then eventually "grind" the opposition down..

Thats my observation at least :)

that works for Boyle, Prust, Fedotenko, Rupp, Avery
somewhat for Callahan, Dubinsky
However Richards, Gaborik, Stepan, Anisimov, MZA should all be making tape to tape passes, utilizing their skill and scoring on the rush. Even Callahan and Dubinsky should be doing it more. Dubinsky is very effective at driving to the net, and great at using his speed & size. The cycle game is getting redundant for our skilled guys. The powerplay is even more of a problem. I don't like Richards on the Point - we have Del Zotto for that. We need to get some movement going.
I'd love to see:
Stepan-Richards-Gaborik
Stralman-Del Zotto
If they got enough movement they should score, especially since you could have Stepan, Gaborik, and Stralman all open for shots. Del Zotto could distribute from up top, and Richards from down low.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
that works for Boyle, Prust, Fedotenko, Rupp, Avery...
oh, i agree completely :)

But it looks like Torts is running a very strict system where "flair" and "finesse" are second (or maybe put dead last, hehe) to grinding.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Yeah but that's not what happened. I'm glad Deveaux destroyed one of their top players. Clean or not. Old time hockey.

Go watch UFC... Any punk can throw an elbow in the NHL. You wouldn't be singing the praises of "old time hockey" if Captain Callahan took a similar elbow and suffered a concussion. What a joke.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
The NY Rangers aren't running for president. Seriously, who gives a **** if we have a dirty player on our team? We're still not a cheap shot team. This is hockey!

Ovechkin leaves his feet on every check
Crosby's been caught slewfooting players
Pronger throws his elbow around like it's part of the rules

Watch a different sport if you don't like it.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Pretty much. Our own fan base crying about it makes it even more pathetic.

Elbow to the face, intentional, what is the draw? Why does that need to be in the NHL? Qui bono? No one.

There's a huge difference between rough hockey and legitimate fighting, versus trying to hurt someone. If you think trying to injure someone severely needs to be in the game to enjoy it, I don't know what to tell you,

Jumbo*

10 years ago this was just a penalty, today this warrants being sent down. Welcome to the p***yfication of.......pretty much everything.

Are you saying you condone players getting cheapshotted to the face? I guess you would be cheering wildly if that happened to Gaborik. Then you can yell at Gaborik for the p***yfication of the NHL for not getting right back up despite a concussion.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Because he's played really well for us? He made one stupid mistake and now we must banish him? I doubt any of you wanted to get rid of Graves after he intentionally broke Lemieux's wrist...

It wasn't intentional and Deveaux ain't Graves.

Wolfy*

Someone said Deveaux was suspended 10 games, a huge fine, and no pay during suspension. Is this correct?

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Thank you, head shots in the NFL and NHL are being taken way too seriously and it's definitely effecting the outcome of games imo. Also, football players get concussions every game and don't sit yet we have players in the NHL sitting 10 months for one concussion, I'm sorry but that's pathetic. I got four concussions in my life playing football and I missed a total of one game because of them.
Sarcasm, right?

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
It wasn't a dirty play it was a split second reaction by Deveaux. The wrong one? Obviously. But if you've ever played the game and thought you had a guy lined up you know that you're committed to impeding them in some way. So what happens when they change direction a bit or your angle is off a hair? You reach, because you still want to get the guy, you already decided that was you're plan. So you try get your shoulder on him or maybe your stick and in some unfortunate instances you do something hair brained like throw an elbow out. That's what this was, a lapse in judgment by a player trying to make an impact in a limited role.

Suspend him, let him serve it, and get over it. Luckily no one was injured.

If you want to clean up the NHL get rid of four teams that can hardly pay there bills or draw fans and distribute that talent throughout the league then you have teams with three skilled lines and a fourth consisting of guys like Prust. Not borderline AHLers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad