Send Deveaux down (11/30 TSN: WAIVED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LannyMcdonald

Feb 4, 2011
Toronto
We're a team whose top dman is out with a concussion, whose sniper was concussed and half-useless last season, and who took a huge long term gamble on a previously concussed elite center. We should send a message that we don't welcome cheap shots like the one Deveaux took last night. Send him down.

Oh, and we could also do without the stupid penalties.

This is not a thread about bringing Zuc back...

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
We're a team whose top dman is out with a concussion, whose sniper was concussed and half-useless last season, and who took a huge long term gamble on a previously concussed elite center. We should send a message that we don't welcome cheap shots like the one Deveaux took last night. Send him down.

Oh, and we could also do without the stupid penalties.

This is not a thread about bringing Zuc back...

Can we send him down while he's suspended? Anyone know the rules on that??

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Wings did it with one of their younger defenders that got a suspension in training camp (5 games I believe). I think he can be sent down immediately but will need to serve the suspension (then still being on the roster) when (if) he is ever recalled. On whatever team he is on in the future...

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

was going to ask the same thing but I am going to guess he has to stay on the roster while suspended then he can be sent down. AHL is a different league so the suspension won't apply there.

So regardless they need to call someone up. Hoping for Zuke or Hagelin but I won't be surprised if it's Mitchell or Thurreson as they would serve more a 4th line role that Deveaux was playing.

Newbury is also a bumb like Deveaux and suspended in the AHL right now. Don't get me wrong good depth in the system but nothing more

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Overall Deveaux has been a decent call up. That was a dumb ass play. I don't think you can send him down if he's put on suspension. I seem to remember there was a case involving Dale Purinton several years ago. I suspect he's going to be suspended--blatant enough that I'd say 5 games and maybe more.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Overall Deveaux has been a decent call up. That was a dumb ass play. I don't think you can send him down if he's put on suspension. I seem to remember there was a case involving Dale Purinton several years ago. I suspect he's going to be suspended--blatant enough that I'd say 5 games and maybe more.

Guaranteed suspension. And could even be more than 5 games, IMO. The league likes to make examples of borderline AHLers.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
There is no point in sending him down in the face of a suspension, because then if the point comes where we might need him for an injury call up, he is suspended and of no possible use to us.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I want to keep him up.

I agree he has done a good job since being up but this is why guys like Deveaux are almost extinct.

look at the team depth when healthy

Richards, Stepan, Anisimov, Boyle, Christensen
Dubinsky, Wolski, Fedotenko, Avery, Hagelin
Gaborik, Callahan, Prust, Rupp, Zuccarello

not to mention they have other border line guys like Newbury, Mitchell, Thurreson

DrSutton*

wow what a novel idea...

the guy played his last game in the NHL last night.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
wow what a novel idea...

the guy played his last game in the NHL last night.

Although I agree he should of played his last game I am sure the Rangers will give him the Gillies treatment and back their player

so with that he is suspeneded, someone gets called up to replace him. He may spare but eventually Rupp and Wolski will get healthy

at that pt the guy is in the minors the rest of the yr anyways

DrAStuart

Apr 8, 2010
It might be hard for NYR to defend and/or shield Deveaux the way they did with players in the past. The public mood has changed and the attitude of the league has changed.
I would love to see him sent down after his suspension...the Rangers should send a message that they won't tolerate that kind of play from other teams against their players and from their own players against other teams.
It doesn't have to end his NHL career...but a 'time-out' in the AHL would be a good thing

EDIT: TSN says D's hearing is set for 2pm Eastern via conference call...so all will be revealed in a few hours...

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I think last night's play was unfortunate for AD. Obviously Fleischmann is much faster and there's a huge height difference there. Deveaux missed his first hit because Fleischmann ducked out of the way, and since AD was already committed he did throw the elbow out but only to finish his check. Because of the height difference and Fleischmann avoiding the first check was the only reason AD got him in the head.

I think AD is a tough as nails guy, and would love to keep him around at least until Rupp gets healthy.

But he'll probably get 2 games out of this.

Zuccarello or Hagelin should be the call up...

AA - Step - Gabby
Dubi - Richards - Cally
Avery - Fedotenko - Zucc/Hagelin
Christensen - Boyle - Prust

(not the biggest fan of Feds at center but Torts has used him there before and with AA and Dubi playing LW it's a necessity since I don't want EC anywhere but the fourth line)

KreiMeARiver*

10 years ago this was just a penalty, today this warrants being sent down. Welcome to the p***yfication of.......pretty much everything.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I think last night's play was unfortunate for AD. Obviously Fleischmann is much faster and there's a huge height difference there. Deveaux missed his first hit because Fleischmann ducked out of the way, and since AD was already committed he did throw the elbow out but only to finish his check. Because of the height difference and Fleischmann avoiding the first check was the only reason AD got him in the head.

I think AD is a tough as nails guy, and would love to keep him around at least until Rupp gets healthy.

But he'll probably get 2 games out of this.

Zuccarello or Hagelin should be the call up...

AA - Step - Gabby
Dubi - Richards - Cally
Avery - Fedotenko - Zucc/Hagelin
Christensen - Boyle - Prust

(not the biggest fan of Feds at center but Torts has used him there before and with AA and Dubi playing LW it's a necessity since I don't want EC anywhere but the fourth line)

Only to finish his check? Really?

He was an ass. Nothing to do with height.

Vickers8

Send Deveaux down

I'd rather see Voros back up, at least he plays high energy and body checks...Deveaux doesn't do much of anything, a guy that big, if he had Calli's heart, would be flattening people all over the ice...

mcsauer2738

Apr 1, 2011
10 years ago this was just a penalty, today this warrants being sent down. Welcome to the p***yfication of.......pretty much everything.

Thank you, head shots in the NFL and NHL are being taken way too seriously and it's definitely effecting the outcome of games imo. Also, football players get concussions every game and don't sit yet we have players in the NHL sitting 10 months for one concussion, I'm sorry but that's pathetic. I got four concussions in my life playing football and I missed a total of one game because of them.

ChrisKreider20

But y u mad?
Jul 21, 2004
Toronto
Only to finish his check? Really?

He was an ass. Nothing to do with height.

I tend to agree with the other guy.
He likely missed his check, thought he'd throw the guy an elbow (Howe did it all the time).
It wasn't a flying elbow. He got it up. As dumb as the play is, I don't think there was really intent to injure, or even to get him unhigh.

Unfortunately given his status as a "tough guy"/4th liner, the stupidity of the play, and the crackdown on headshots, he deserves 3-5 games.

Edit:
found this quote.

Deveaux said outside the Rangers' locker room after the game that the play had happened quickly and he simply reacted when Fleischmann "tried to cut in and kind of duck down."

"I definitely got him, but it was completely unintentional," Deveaux said.

Last edited:

bluecollarblueshirt*

AD's play has been spotty at best but with rupp out he's a big guy who'll stand up for himself and his teammates (although neither him or rupp are any good at it) He should serve his suspension and stay with the club. IMO torts can get this guy going.

Ryan McDonut

Jan 18, 2009
New York
you guys who are saying its no big deal would probably be singing a different tune if someone on florida elbowed richards or gaborik in the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad