''Senators won Brassard trade...''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
We had to give up something good to get something good, seems that simple to me. Abilities and age aside, I'm gonna guess that the human element of the players involved played in to this trade more than anything. Murray talked him up as a potential Number 1 center, Dorion traded him shortly after taking over, maybe he's one that Murray and Dorion didn't see eye to eye on.

I still like Zibanejad as a player but man does Brassard look good right now and his passion is incredible. That stare down of the Leafs fan almost made me cream my ****ing pants the other night. I find Brassards intensity much more appealing than the listless looking Zbad even though he did have his moments with us.

I'm trying not to let the hot start get me too excited, but I hope we can get a reasonable deal done with Brass for another 3 or 4 years.

Me too I was pumped by Brassard's stare down lol (maybe not as much as you though :sarcasm:)

You know what? With time I think we should keep Brassard instead of Turris, that's if of course Brown and/or Batherson/Chlapik/White develop as top-6 centers but it's looking real good on that front. We could/should also make a trade to upgrade on Turris or get great/good assets for him

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Brassard's contract is done at the end of this season no?

I wonder how much he could command as a free-agent.

We seem to have come to terms about the fact that we likely won't be able to retain Turris but maybe we won't be able to keep Brassard either...

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

We seem to have come to terms about the fact that we likely won't be able to retain Turris but maybe we won't be able to keep Brassard either...

Done in 2018/19.

I think it's pretty much a guarantee that we only re-sign one of Turris 0r Brassard. Money simply isn't there to re-sign both, and having both signed long-term would block the likes of Brown/White/Chlapik up the middle.

The debate should be whether to re-sign Turris or Brassard long-term. It's a tough one IMO. Turris isn't playing as well as Brassard right now, but is 2YRs younger and may maintain his level of play for longer. Brassard is a local guy and might take a discount to sign here long-term, but he'll be 32YRs old when his contract is up, and signing him to a career-finishing contract would be very risky. There's pros and cons on both sides.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Hopefully we are done the win loss trade talk now. They are both doing well now. Happy for both of them. Brass had me worried last year. If he can keep this up then all is fine enough.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Done in 2018/19.

I think it's pretty much a guarantee that we only re-sign one of Turris 0r Brassard. Money simply isn't there to re-sign both, and having both signed long-term would block the likes of Brown/White/Chlapik up the middle.

The debate should be whether to re-sign Turris or Brassard long-term. It's a tough one IMO. Turris isn't playing as well as Brassard right now, but is 2YRs younger and may maintain his level of play for longer. Brassard is a local guy and might take a discount to sign here long-term, but he'll be 32YRs old when his contract is up, and signing him to a career-finishing contract would be very risky. There's pros and cons on both sides.

That's a near impossible choice to make. Both guys are pretty much equal overall.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Have we come to terms with losing Turris already? I guess I didn't get the memo LOL..

The team will have its choice of Turris or Brassard, that's the simple answer. If we resign Turris, which we will imo, the they will likely let Brassard walk in 2019, and one of Brown/White/Chlapik will take over.

This has been the plan all along after they traded Zibby imo.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Would we really resign a 31yo to a long term contract? I can't see him getting more than 3-4 years.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
That's a near impossible choice to make. Both guys are pretty much equal overall.
i think the issue is with the predictability crystal ball. Brass is signed for 1 extra year which provides more clarity as to what we have with Brown, White, Chaplik, and Batherson. And Bowers for that matter. At the end of Brass's contract, Brown will be 3 years post draft, White will be 4 years post draft, Chaplik will be 4 years post draft and Batherson and Bowers 3 years. It's entirely possible that Chabot has taken off, EK is still EK and we go younger down the middle for top 6 Cs. Those guys should be entering their statistical primes at 22 years old.

Deciding between Brassard and Turris is difficult. Brassard being signed for that extra year provides more time to assess what we have. The kind of center depth we've got and the draft pedigree of some of these players is a very enviable position to be in.

I don't know where that leaves us this year with Turris though. I am hoping we do not sign him long term, I don't think he has the frame to be effective for 6 or 7 more years but it sure leaves us in a pickle for this year because the team is looking good.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I dunno. Can't make up my mind between the two.

I was quite underwhelmed with Brass' stats last year, but he turned it on in the playoffs. He's looking good so far this year, but I don't put much stock in October. If he's still playing this well past Xmas, then I'd be much more confident in choosing him....but only for the next 2-3 seasons. He really drives the play a lot better when he's on.

Turris is younger, has a bit higher skill level, and will likely stay at his current level for a good 4-5 years *knock on wood*. But, that skinny frame really scares me.

Not sure if there is a right choice. More like whoever manages to stay lucky and avoids injuries over the next 5 years would be the winner...and there's no way to predict that.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Are People forgetting that Pageau could probably step in for a yr or so until White, Chlapik or Brown are able to show they can handle a 2nd line centre spot? And Smith can also play centre. PD has the assets this yr if he wants to go all in on Duchene or add another top six forward as a transition piece until one of the young guys are ready to take a spot. Either way PD has lots of options, if or when he were to lose either Turris or Brassard with Pageau & Smith still around. I think PD makes a deal this yr though to address that situation & we have our answer before the yr is over or the start of next season.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I dunno. Can't make up my mind between the two.

I was quite underwhelmed with Brass' stats last year, but he turned it on in the playoffs. He's looking good so far this year, but I don't put much stock in October. If he's still playing this well past Xmas, then I'd be much more confident in choosing him....but only for the next 2-3 seasons. He really drives the play a lot better when he's on.

Turris is younger, has a bit higher skill level, and will likely stay at his current level for a good 4-5 years *knock on wood*. But, that skinny frame really scares me.

Not sure if there is a right choice. More like whoever manages to stay lucky and avoids injuries over the next 5 years would be the winner...and there's no way to predict that.

I think that Brassard is doing better this year primarily because he is playing with both Stone and Ryan. I would rather retain Turris because he is younger; however he may be asking for too much,

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
what's Brass salary? 3.5? times 3 is 10.5 over the three years we have him?

Zibby made low 2s last year, low 5s for the next two years? .....so that's about 12.5....and the Rangers paid Brass' bonus before the trade went down so that was 2M?

So Brassard at 10.5.....Zibby at 14.5 for 3 years......we gave up a 2nd in the deal and at the time both GMs agreed Brass was the better player. At the time he was coming off of 118 points in the previous two seasons, Zibby coming off of 97. I don't think that's a huge stretch to understand why Brass was regarded as the better of the two....at that time

And we had a player whose commitment to the game was a concern....if that was a legit concern that the organization had....I'd say they did pretty well in unloading him

Reactions: thesensguy

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
He was being carried by Stone.

He's a good complimentary player as he can skate the puck, but he needs a star who can make the plays for him in the offensive zone otherwise he regresses into being a 2nd/3rd line tweener.

He was always a 2nd line player. We got fooled by his good numbers in NYR. The numbers got bloated by the good NY offense, and playing with Zuccarello.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
He was always a 2nd line player. We got fooled by his good numbers in NYR. The numbers got bloated by the good NY offense, and playing with Zuccarello.

Oh yeah, Dorion thought he was getting a 1B center in exchange for a 2A center.

What actually happened is that we gave a 1B center for a 2B center who also happens to be 5 years older and declining.

We really must be in the running for having the worst pro scouts/GM in the league.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
referring to the thread
DQmfJ9YbLMHDKt8qTyaNghiHjYJr97P2U8oCE1m6PWeHkoD

Arkantoss

Mar 2, 2016
Has Dorion made one good trade in his time here? I guess the Condon trade and even that's slightly questionable since he was on waivers a few weeks before.

Reactions: Icelevel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad